Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Tic has thrown up on every car ride we have ever taken. Our vet is like 10 minutes away and Tic threw up in the carrier on the way there and on the way home. The vet said I could get him a prescription (I can't for the life of me remember what it's called, but I think it starts with an 'M'), or I could wait it out and see if he out grows it.

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions or tips. Also, I'd love hearing about the prescription med if anyone has tried one. I'm always driving somewhere and I'm worried about Tic doing this so often. I hate to take Tic places with me when I have to drive because I don't want him to feel sick, but sometimes I have to drive with him.

If I have to drive a long way with the boys I don't feed Tic for a few hours before we leave, but he still manages to get sick. I don't know what to do about this

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
My friend some time ago had a pup that got car sick.. she solved the problem by re-conditioning him.
She'd start by taking him to the car.. just sit for a few minutes and then out. Then went to staying in the car a bit longer then out.. "graduated" to going to the car and starting the engine and sitting for few minutes.. and then out. Then a "ride" to the end of the drive.. then out.
I believe she gave a little treat at the end of each "session". The "rides" were increased in increments also. Soon her pooch associated the car and rides as a positive and not stressful experience.
Missysmom

·
Registered
240 Posts
Originally posted by IamMomtoMissy@Jun 5 2005, 05:47 AM
My friend some time ago had a pup that got car sick.. she solved the problem by re-conditioning him.
She'd start by taking him to the car.. just sit for a few minutes and then out. Then went to staying in the car a bit longer then out.. "graduated" to going to the car and starting the engine and sitting for few minutes.. and then out. Then a "ride" to the end of the drive.. then out.
I believe she gave a little treat at the end of each "session". The "rides" were increased in increments also. Soon her pooch associated the car and rides as a positive and not stressful experience.
Missysmom
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69165
[/QUOTE]

We used the same method on our havanese puppy and it has helped TREMENDOUSLY. When we first brought him home he could not even take the 10 minute ride to the vet, now he may get a little sick from time to time, but I would say it has been a 99% improvement. We also bought him a carseat like the one Lexi's Mom had for sale on another thread. It helps him not be so sensitive to the motion of the car.

I have not tried any prescription meds, we are showing him this summer and I did not want to take the chance of the medication knocking him out. I can't for the life of me remember what med the vet told me to try, if it comes to me I will post again.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Awwww....poor baby! Brink feels sorry for him b/c car rides are his absolute FAVORITE!

I would try the reconditioning idea, or maybe ask your vet about some of the non-drowsy (or maybe it says less drowsy) children's Dramamine for motion sickness. I give it to my skin kids on long rides b/c both of them get car sick if they are coloring, playing video games etc.
I read somewhere, either here or the other site, a LONG time ago that someone else had given it to his/her dog for the same purpose...but I would hate to do that for a 10 minute ride to the vet. So I probably wasnt' very helpful.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh wow. I didn't even think of the reconditioning idea for car sickness! I thought that was just for dogs that didn't like car rides. Thanks guys, I'll start doing that!! :D

About the prescription, I didn't feel comfortable with it because most rides are so short.

Awww! Peanut loves rides just like Brink!!!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I think that I would try the car seat. I purchased the Lookout Carseat because it has a removable and replaceable cover. If a dog's car sickness is like a human the cause is in the ear and equilibrium. I have had car sickness and I have to look at the road or wear sea bands. I don't think a vet visit would be very productive with a dog that is asleep or drowsy. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know how I feel about the car seats because my boys (especially Tic) are prone to jumping out of things. I can just see Tic hanging by the harness...I think my friend has a booster seat so I will borrow it and see if it helps. Thanks for the advice

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Usually the car seat has a strap that you can attach to you pup's harness and this keeps them from leaping or falling out.
Scooby only got carsick when he was in his crate when transported, but once we got his look out car seat he never looked back and loves his car trips.
I think a lot is that they need to be where they can see out and get some air while in transit. It makes all the difference.
The reconditioning idea sounds good too, but we didn't need to do that with Scooby.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
gruffi gets carsick to the point where he drools like crazy...but never threw up.

so he's only allowed a pizzle stick in the car...no other time. and it helps with him chewing something and its a fun experience and stuff.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Does it happen if you put your puppy in your lap? I drive with Chanel in my lap almost all of the time (I know I shouldn't, and I know it isn't particularly safe
...but she is much tamer now!
. SHe used to wiggle a bit, but I would gently push her down...wouldn't be a pretty sight if Tic threw up on you

Good luck!

~Elegant

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried just putting the seatbelt harness on him and letting him lay on the seat and he still got sick. But I did notice that he doesn't shake or seem nervous about the car. He was just laying down and then about 5 minutes into the ride he let out a little gurgle and there it was...Thank goodness I thought ahead enough to remember to lay out a beach towel for him to lay on
So we drove 5 minutes from home and he threw up and then I pulled over for a few minutes and cleaned the mess and then on the 5 minute drive back to the house, he threw up again
I think I will try a car seat and see how that goes. I just don't think he's anxious or nervous about the ride I think he's just purely car sick
My bf lives an hour away so when I bring the dogs with me I don't want Tickie to be sick the whole time.

Elegant, Peanut has gotten sick all over me a couple of times...I'm no stranger to it :new_Eyecrazy:
Once I was in bed and Peanut jumped up on my chest and let it go right on my neck :new_Eyecrazy: Man, gotta love these dogs!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I've posted this before, I think. When Jolie was about 6 months old we took her on a long car trip. A few days before leaving she started throwing up in the car. I read on an internet site that ginger snaps can help calm the stomach. I got a package of very thin ginger cookies and we gave her one each time that we got in the car (at rest areas, in the mornings, etc.) and she was fine. Might have been a coincidence, but it won't cost you much to try.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Jun 6 2005, 02:33 PM
I've posted this before, I think.  When Jolie was about 6 months old we took her on a long car trip. A few days before leaving she started throwing up in the car. I read on an internet site that ginger snaps can help calm the stomach.  I got a package of very thin ginger cookies and we gave her one each time that we got in the car (at rest areas, in the mornings, etc.) and she was fine.  Might have been a coincidence, but it won't cost you much to try.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69681
[/QUOTE]
Hmmm, people ginger snaps? I don't want to sound stupid, but who knows what they make for dogs these days
That sounds good to me! Thanks

·
Registered
363 Posts
My Jill has gotten sick on every car ride no matter how short or long. It is definitely not stress. It is motion sickness. She loves the car. It doesn't matter if I hold her or put her in a carrier. She usually lays down, then she will start to drool. After a while she stands up and within a few seconds, she upchucks. Sometimes 6 or 7 times. I feel so bad cause she looks so miserable. After a while it is just liquid. Anyway, does anyone know how much dramamine is safe for her? She weighs about 4 and 1/2 pounds. Thanks

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Originally posted by maltsmom@Jun 7 2005, 09:29 AM
My Jill has gotten sick on every car ride no matter how short or long.  It is definitely not stress.  It is motion sickness.  She loves the car.  It doesn't matter if I hold her or put her in a carrier.  She usually lays down, then she will start to drool.  After a while she stands up and within a few seconds, she upchucks.  Sometimes 6 or 7 times.  I feel so bad cause she looks so miserable.    After a while it is just liquid.  Anyway, does anyone know how much dramamine is safe for her?  She weighs about 4 and 1/2 pounds.  Thanks

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69995
[/QUOTE]

oh my gosh jill has grown so much

sorry she doesn't like the car

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by maltsmom@Jun 7 2005, 10:29 AM
My Jill has gotten sick on every car ride no matter how short or long.  It is definitely not stress.  It is motion sickness.  She loves the car.  It doesn't matter if I hold her or put her in a carrier.  She usually lays down, then she will start to drool.  After a while she stands up and within a few seconds, she upchucks.  Sometimes 6 or 7 times.  I feel so bad cause she looks so miserable.    After a while it is just liquid.  Anyway, does anyone know how much dramamine is safe for her?  She weighs about 4 and 1/2 pounds.  Thanks

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69995
[/QUOTE]
I would ask the vet about the dramamine dose. I just got a car seat today, haven't tried it yet but I'm hoping having Tic at window level will help ease the motion sickness. I also looked down the medication aisle and got a travel comfort supplement for dogs. It was just a trial package, so I will let you know if it helps. I have no idea if it'll work but I'd rather try this one out before getting the prescription med.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Shrek used to get car sick everytime he got in the car--with projectile vomit at every sharp turn. Yuck!

We learned to take corners very slowly.

He now just loves, loves, LOVES car rides and hasn't been sick at all on any of his recent rides. I do think the key is gradually getting them used to the motion on small trips.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts