Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Bailee girl always gets car sick and throws up. The times she hasn't, was because I was holding her and making sure that she was looking out. I know that motion sickness has to do with not knowing that you are moving, and therefore creates an imbalace in the ear. I even have the traveling kennel, and she still manages to throw up in that as well. I would like to eventually be able to drive freely without having to hold her, just for safety reasons. Is there anything out there or perhaps a pre-driving procedure that would help?

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Tic gets motion sickness too. The vet offered a human prescription med (can't for the life of me remember what it is called) but I declined. For long rides, the only thing that I can suggest is to not feed her beforehand. That doesn't work for Tic though because he will still throw up bile. I bought a car seat for him just for this reason alone and it's still not 100%. I would say that he still throws up 60% of the time. The car seat is up at window level so he can see outside. Someone here suggested human Dramamine (ask your vet first to see if it's okay and the correct dose). I've not tried it yet though. I feel your pain because it's hard to see them suffer like that. My other malt Peanut does just fine in the car no matter where he is sitting. I got some of those baby crib mattress protectors. They are fabric, but there is a waterproof layer. Just a suggestion to keep the car clean. One of my cars has light grey leather and it's discolored where Tic threw up. It's no big deal, but made the bf mad

If your baby does well in the car when you hold her up to the window, the car seat may work better for you than it did for us. There are lots of diff. kinds, let us know if you need help finding one. Good luck to you and Bailee!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I have the Lookout Car Seat and I really like it from the standpoint of being able to wash the cover if you need to and I did, Bijou had a BM in his car seat. Originally I had planned to purchase the Stow-away Car seat but the company that I called recommended the Lookout and thank goodness they did. I emailed recently to thank her for the advice.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
try only offering a certain yummy treat during the car rides. sprite is able to sit in my lap (and i know its bad...oh well) and she'll grab a bully stick and hop into the back seat of the car and just chew it by herself. and go somewhere totally fun...like a dog park. gruffi used to get it really bad till we started taking him everyday to the dog park. now he knows that whenever he goes into the car---its to go somewhere that's possibly fun. lol. like he doesnt mind sundays because we take him to petsmart for dog training.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Two of my girls gets sick everytime they ride, one will slobber really bad to. They are not good riders at all . I don't take them very often cause they are not happy going but all 9 other maltese loves to go loads up an away we go in my volkswagon I do have a car full but those nine rides fine an the two girls don't seem to mind staying home when others go.
Teaco

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow!!! Teaco you have 12?!?! :new_Eyecrazy: You are amazing!! So I went to PetSmart, and they have a medium-sized, Look-Out carseat. I have to wait until they get a "small" in.

I have also tried the treat thing, (she's crazy about greenies), but she still throws that up as well.

I travel from my house and my apartment almost every weekend, it's about a 30min to 1hr 30min drive, depending on traffic. So, it's really important for Bailee that I figure this out. Hopefully that carseat comes in soon, and works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.