Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a BIG problem with Sisse. She gets car sick so easily. EVERY TIME we have had her in the car she pukes. We tried just short rides around the block, putting her on the floor (so she could not see out), putting her on our lap (so she COULD see out). Nothing we do seems to matter. Is this something they'll get over, or is there something we are not doing or can do to make this better? We would love to be able to take her with us, but she just feels so miserable in the car she ends up having to stay at home in her Casita

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Sorry that Sisse doesn't like car rides. Lucy loooooooooves them - whenever we talk about leaving or driving, she'll go jump in one of her bags and look at us like "When are we going?" haha.

Anyways, maybe she's just not used to it yet. I'm not sure, but there might be a medicine for doggies for car rides?

She's adorable though. Good luck

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Noriko throws up on occasion too! She doesn't even like to be picked up because she's so scared.

Cloud doesnt seem to mind. He gets so excited that he tries to jump in the SUV. But then most of the time he falls asleep. I think he knows alot of time we're going to get food so that's what he associates the car with.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Bailey has always LOVED to ride,Kirbie shook for the longest time.WE just kept taking him and he finally LOVES it too.He will now run to the car or truck where as before...if you said go for a ride he took off the other way running for all he was worth.Hahah All you could see was this "Flash" of white heading in the other direction. LOL Lamby loves to ride,but youd best be sure theres no paper around for her to shred !
Nichole's idea sounds good.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Mar 10 2005, 12:15 PM
I think he knows alot of time we're going to get food so that's what he associates the car with.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41818
[/QUOTE]

You...eating?! No WAY!!!!

Originally posted by Nichole@Mar 10 2005, 12:28 PM
I got this advice from a trainer a long time ago and have never tried it, but it is worth a shot.  Buy a bag of sugar free suckers and when you take Sisse on a car ride, hold the sucker and let her lick it.  Supposedly, the licking/swallowing action keeps them from throwing up. 

I am in a similiar boat with Toby--he doesn't throw up, but shakes the whole car ride.  We can't figure it out.  He never shook and then all of a sudden he became so scared.  I wonder if he just doesn't like the feel when the car comes to a stop and there is that little jerk.  Who knows...that's my little weirdo! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41830
[/QUOTE]

That sounds familiar for people too?!
I know that if kids are going on a plane ride they can suck on pacifiers/suckers/chew gum and it is supposed to help (I thought with ears popping). Maybe it helps with the motion sickness too...
My youngest daughter gets car sick and Dramamine helps her...maybe the non-drowsy kind would work for the pups...?

·
Registered
3,483 Posts

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
A lot of puppies do grow out of being carsick.

I would feed her some meals or yummy treats in a parked car just to get her use to that and make it a positive experience. If she can handle just down the driveway and back, do that often.

For my dogs' safety, they all ride in crates in the car. A loose dog is a projectile through the windshield in an accident.

Dramamine or Benadryl often help with car sickness. You should ask your vet about a dose for your dog.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We have a "doggie booster" seat, it straps to the car seat and sets them up higher so they can see out. It has a clip on it to put on her harness so she can't fly around or jump out of the seat. IF she ever gets use to the car, would that be alright to put her in?? I know she shouldn't be roaming around free, it is dangerous, but she throws up so much we thought holding her would make her feel more secure.......Ugh....I hate to think I have to drug her to take her out in the car, I think I would just leave her home first.....I wanted it to be fun for her...

·
Registered
86 Posts
my elmo loves the car but pukes most of the time,he can handle very short trips(sometimes)i think it is the car moving motion that makes him sick,i would not give food to the dog as i have found it makes elmo sicker and he rides better on a stomach that does'nt have a lot in it plus the more food you give the more they will puke up.I have not found anything to stop his car sicknes i think some babies just can't ride in the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts