Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every day I put my husband's vitamin D in a pill container for him because I don't trust him to dump the 2 daily pills out of the bottle without dropping them on the floor because he's the most careless person on the planet. This morning I found 1 vitamin D on the floor and called hubby at work. He said the container was empty this morning. Clearly it wasn't empty because I found one on the floor so when he opened it he must have spilled them on the floor without noticing. I searched everywhere and couldn't find the 2nd one so Pipper must have eaten it. I called the vet and she looked up the toxicity and said that for his weight, the 1,000 IU was safe for him and won't cause any problems. I broke down and cried like baby on the phone because of the over whelming relief I felt. I am furious at my husband and even though the vet said it was safe, I'm still so worried. Has anyone else had their dog eat something like this and were they fine.

· Administrator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
10,261 Posts
Kathy do you know if it is ergocalciferol (d2) or cholecalciferol (d3) that your husband takes? D2 is plant based and has low toxicity in humans and dogs even in higher doses, D3 is animal based, though a single lowish dosage would not be much of an issue. The only reason I know is that I have always had low vitamin D which is even lower because I am vegan and do not get vitamin D additives in my foods, and take a high dose D2 prescription each week. Although very high dosage of D3 can be dangerous, most toxiticity is a build up over time or comes from rat poisons.

I would not worry especially if it is D2.

· Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kathy do you know if it is ergocalciferol (d2) or cholecalciferol (d3) that your husband takes? D2 is plant based and has low toxicity in humans and dogs even in higher doses, D3 is animal based, though a single lowish dosage would not be much of an issue. The only reason I know is that I have always had low vitamin D which is even lower because I am vegan and do not get vitamin D additives in my foods, and take a high dose D2 prescription each week. Although very high dosage of D3 can be dangerous, most toxiticity is a build up over time or comes from rat poisons.

I would not worry especially if it is D2.
It's D3. I can't calm myself down. I have never been so mad at someone in my life.

· Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The vet just called me back again just to reassure me that the 1 pill he ate wasn't even close to being an amount that would be harmful and if it did anything at all it would only be a mildly upset stomach. They knew I would still be worried. They know me so well. 😏. This doesn't stop me from being mad at my husband for being careless.

· Premium Member
2,423 Posts
I am glad Pipper and you will be okay! {{{{{}}}}}

One of my dogs will eat almost anything. My hands are kind of clumsy now, so I worry, too. I had a scare when a houseguest left some kind of pill on the floor. Fortunately I try not to let the dogs in that room, and double fortunately when I researched it, it turned out to be a low-dose coated aspirin.

· Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

One of my dogs will eat almost anything. My hands are kind of clumsy now, so I worry, too. I had a scare when a houseguest left some kind of pill on the floor. Fortunately I try not to let the dogs in that room, and double fortunately when I researched it, it turned out to be a low-dose coated aspirin.
Oh gosh, eating an aspirin could have turned our really bad. Thank goodness you found it.

· Premium Member
LACIE, SUKI & LING LING ❤️❤️❤️
6,114 Posts

I didnt know that about aspirin 🤷🏻‍♀️ my pediatrician client used to give her frenchies baby aspirin for pain! Yikes!

· Premium Member
LACIE, SUKI & LING LING ❤️❤️❤️
6,114 Posts
So glad Piper is ok, Kathy. I know your frustration. My elder parents always drop their pills, so its a race with Lacie every time I take the girls over. She is actually looking for crumbs, but as innocent it may be, theres been times when she tried to eat their meds.
Maybe you could distribute his meds 🤷🏻‍♀️ to avoid accidents.

· Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So glad Piper is ok, Kathy. I know your frustration. My elder parents always drop their pills, so its a race with Lacie every time I take the girls over. She is actually looking for crumbs, but as innocent it may be, theres been times when she tried to eat their meds.
Maybe you could distribute his meds 🤷🏻‍♀️ to avoid accidents.
It's just annoying that I have to watch a grown adult like a child. Even when the pandemic first began, I had to keep reminding him to keep his distance from people. Then when he got exposed to covid a couple of months ago at work I knew I had no hope of not getting sick because he wasn't being careful when coughing. Don't mind me ranting, I'm still just very annoyed and scared thinking what could have happened if these vitamins would have been something more serious so everything is bugging me right now. Ranting about it will help me get over it. :sneaky:

· Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
18,273 Posts
Hey Cathy---I am sorry for your scare! I know how much of an advocate you are for Pipper & these kind of things can be very unsettling as we try always to protect them. One idea is to ask your husband to "at the least open the pill bottle over the bathroom sink & take his pills there." That MIGHT prevent a future incident even if the past can't be changed. Also. . . maybe he could agree to come & get you "should this happen again" and let you help him search for the pills. Four eyes are always better than two.
I am glad for our little guy that this ended well. D & I are finding as we age that we have to always readjust our normal protocols. (He sometimes forgets to close the garage door at night & I forget other things!) "For better, for worse, in sickness & in health" takes on a new meaning! ❤

Reactions: pippersmom

· Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Cathy---I am sorry for your scare! I know how much of an advocate you are for Pipper & these kind of things can be very unsettling as we try always to protect them. One idea is to ask your husband to "at the least open the pill bottle over the bathroom sink & take his pills there." That MIGHT prevent a future incident even if the past can't be changed. Also. . . maybe he could agree to come & get you "should this happen again" and let you help him search for the pills. Four eyes are always better than two.
I am glad for our little guy that this ended well. D & I are finding as we age that we have to always readjust our normal protocols. (He sometimes forgets to close the garage door at night & I forget other things!) "For better, for worse, in sickness & in health" takes on a new meaning! ❤
They need to add "being annoyed" to those vows.😁

· Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
18,273 Posts
PS:
Another idea to try---I use this one: I put a clean white wash cloth on my counter top in the bathroom each day before opening my tablets---that way if I spill one it lands on the cloth & is less apt to bounce to the floor.

Things happen. When Kitzel was one he got into my coat pocket (which I had left in the car while we ran in to a toilet stop on the way to the airport in S Francisco). I also had a treat in the pocket & along w/eating it he ate my stroke meds which I had put there also (not realizing he could get into the pocket) which I planned to take before departure. By the time we got back to the car (a very short amount of time) he was almost "gone." Except for the help of a brilliant highway patrol officer he would have certainly have died. You can imagine how guilty I felt. He had to have a lot of follow up care for a long time after we got back to Europe. It was a horrible accident & God was gracious. I have never repeated that same mistake----but I have made some other ones. Being human has its' limitations.

• Wow
Reactions: pippersmom

· Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
PS:
Another idea to try---I use this one: I put a clean white wash cloth on my counter top in the bathroom each day before opening my tablets---that way if I spill one it lands on the cloth & is less apt to bounce to the floor.

Things happen. When Kitzel was one he got into my coat pocket (which I had left in the car while we ran in to a toilet stop on the way to the airport in S Francisco). I also had a treat in the pocket & along w/eating it he ate my stroke meds which I had put there also (not realizing he could get into the pocket) which I planned to take before departure. By the time we got back to the car (a very short amount of time) he was almost "gone." Except for the help of a brilliant highway patrol officer he would have certainly have died. You can imagine how guilty I felt. He had to have a lot of follow up care for a long time after we got back to Europe. It was a horrible accident & God was gracious. I have never repeated that same mistake----but I have made some other ones. Being human has its' limitations.
Oh that must have been so scary!

· Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh Kathy, I can only imagine how frustrated you felt!

I'm like you when it comes to Luna but my toddler makes my job 100% harder, ha.
Patricia, frustrated was putting it mildly. By the time I had figured out this had happened, I had missed that window of opportunity to induce vomiting. The vitamin would have already been in his system. I was terrified.

· Registered
23 Posts
Every day I put my husband's vitamin D in a pill container for him because I don't trust him to dump the 2 daily pills out of the bottle without dropping them on the floor because he's the most careless person on the planet. This morning I found 1 vitamin D on the floor and called hubby at work. He said the container was empty this morning. Clearly it wasn't empty because I found one on the floor so when he opened it he must have spilled them on the floor without noticing. I searched everywhere and couldn't find the 2nd one so Pipper must have eaten it. I called the vet and she looked up the toxicity and said that for his weight, the 1,000 IU was safe for him and won't cause any problems. I broke down and cried like baby on the phone because of the over whelming relief I felt. I am furious at my husband and even though the vet said it was safe, I'm still so worried. Has anyone else had their dog eat something like this and were they fine.
My husband suffers from memory issues and I have decided the safest, most fool-proof thing to do is to make him come into our brightly lit kitchen and take his pills right in front of me. I I decided this after an incident where, for a panicky two minutes, he had dropped a vitamin on the floor and our SweetPea was headed right for it. I was able to grab it before he got it but I almost had a heart attack over it. So watching my husband take every pill is my solution for peace of mind. That way I know (a) he has taken his pills and (b) our baby is safe from any accidental pill drop.

· Premium Member
20,110 Posts
I also have one of those "clumsy"i men in my house. Except, he really doesn't care if he drops his pills. His reasoning is, it's hard enough to get them to take a pill, they won't bother his. He's an old man and I am so over living with him....some old men can be opinionated asses. He does love the dogs, he just doesn't get it....

· Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I also have one of those "clumsy"i men in my house. Except, he really doesn't care if he drops his pills. His reasoning is, it's hard enough to get them to take a pill, they won't bother his. He's an old man and I am so over living with him....some old men can be opinionated asses. He does love the dogs, he just doesn't get it....
I guess I can say that at least my hubby cares, he's just so darn careless. Instead of realizing that he dropped the vitamins on the floor, he just assumed that I had forgotten to put them in his little container. He knows that I don't forget things so there would never be an empty container sitting there for him.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts