Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As y'all know in 1 month I will be getting my little rescue. He is 18 months and weighs 6 lbs. I really want to get one of those cute little carrying totes- but I am worried that 6 lbs will be too big and not comfy to carry on my shoulder.

What style do you like the best? And how big is your baby?

I am leaning towards a style like this

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Ooooo! That's a nice carrier.....Pico is 4.5 pounds and I always use the handle instead of the shoulder strap because it is just more comfortable and I have better control so I don't bounce or bump him around. Even 4.5 pounds gets heavy when held for a long time and it's easier to set the carrier down with the handles when you need a break.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
You must post a link...that carrier is too cute! I almost exclusively use our Juicy bag for short trips and car rides. I use a larger tote for longer car rides, but very rarely do I use it to carry her around...it's just too big. That bag is nice in that it seems to have a shoulder strap as well as satchel style handles. Personally, I never carry anything on my shoulder, but it is nice to have the option.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Ohhh, yes please share the link with us
I would wait on the carrier until you get your baby. I don't understand still because some of the carriers I see say for dogs up to 10 pounds and my guys are close, but both are still under 8 lbs and there is no way they can fit
I would go by the measurements of the bags as well. It's a really nice carrier though

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw that bag at PetSmart over the weekend you can see it here

I try to not to buy things from big chain stores, and prefer to shop the mom & pop style stores. I have found a great pet supply place, and she will order anything I want. I will wait to get one until I have him, then we can try one on for size!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by saltymalty@Oct 4 2005, 10:52 AM
I almost exclusively use our Juicy bag for short trips and car rides.  <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=106050
[/QUOTE]

OOO a Juicy bag! I think my husband thinks I am nuts for spending the amount of money I have already. I can't imagine what he would say if I bought a Juicy bag!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I bought a carrier from Petsmart a few years ago when they first started carrying them, but I rarely use it. It looks cheap to me as it's made of fake leather (and looks it) and not that well made. It was about $50 as I remember.

I personally find Petsmart to be expensive. As Little Peanut says, Celltei bags aren't that much more and are a superior quality bag.

Just my opinion, of course.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Toby is 6-6.5 lbs and I carry him on my shoulder. It isn't bad, but not something I would want to do all day.

I also have a carrier similar to that of the one you showed us from Petsmart. I have to say that I am highly disappointed in my Petsmart carrier. I paid $25 and now am on my 5th bag. I keep having to bring it back because there is some kind of defect. The first three bags' feet fell off, the fourth bag's zipper broke and the bag we have now, the clasp that encloses the dog into the bag fell off, basically making the bag useless. For Christmas, I am going to ask for a Celltei bag. They seem to be sturdy. The sad thing is that we aren't "hard" on the bag. We usually use it to run in and out of places like Petsmart, etc. If it can't withstand that, then I could only imagine if someone bought it for daily use; how quickly it would fall apart.

Have you thought about a Puppy Purse? I know many people on this board think they look uncomfortable, but Toby really likes his. I got mine from Happy Tail Pet Boutique. I wear it across my chest and kind of put Toby in front of me. That way, I pet/support him as I carry him.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
okw thanks for the link. For $15 I think it's worth a shot!!

I love hearing everyone's suggestions and experiences. Y'all are helping me so much!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by Deanna@Oct 4 2005, 08:39 PM
okw thanks for the link. For $15 I think it's worth a shot!!

I love hearing everyone's suggestions and experiences. Y'all are helping me so much!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=106295
[/QUOTE]

No problem!! I really do love it because its so light (which makes a difference when the maltese is slightly heavier)!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts