Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to take my son (aka Doggy-Paris) out with me more and more now. I know that many of you recommended the Celeuti (sp?) bags or the Lexington Pet carrier (which I can't find anywhere online!!) and those seems like great bags...
BUT with the heat and humidity so high here in Florida, I wonder if those bags would be truly comfortable to our dogs. I am worried about heat strokes and dehydration if it's too hot inside the bag (even if it's ventilated with mesh screens) since our dogs have LONG hair covering their body.

Anyone else lives in a hot / humid area? Any thoughts on which carrier would be best for our situation?

I did think about buying those floor pads that serves as a cool surface for the dog to lay down on (the name of the product escapes my mind at this moment) and use that as the mat inside the bag, but the size is probably not going to fit well...

If I do use the mat for that purpose, do you think that it would be TOO COLD if I placed the mat inside the refrigerator before we went outside?

So many questions, hopes to hear back from you guys.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I like the Celltei best. It has at least 3 vent windows and it also has a "climate control" pouch inside. I use one of those blue cooler things that you freeze and wrap it in a face cloth before I put it in the pouch. celltei site Peanut was fine it his during last summer when we were in FL. Other bags that I have just don't have much ventilation. Unless you use on of those Sherpa bags, but they seem more bulky. sherpa (petco's site)

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I think you're talking about the Canine Cooler mats....I have one and you are right, even the small will be too large for the carrier but I think you have a great idea and you might write to the manufacturers with the suggestion. It will increase the weight of the carrier, though. It is partially filled with water. There is an absorbant substance in the mat that absorbs the water so it is not like a water bottle that sloshes.

I would NOT put one in the fridge though. Have you ever slept on a water bed in the summer? It's cool enough without refrigeration. So is the Cooler mat. When I pick it up off the sofa to put in his crate at night I hold it agains my body and it feels so nice and cool. In fact, if it is a cool evening I don't put it in his crate because I think he would be too cool.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
It's miserable here in North Carolina, too. All last week it was over 100....and that's real temperature, not including the heat index! With the heat index, it's been 110-115!

Lady also has her summer 'do, about 3/4 of an inch long.

Truthfully, in this weather, I make her stay home in the air conditioning. I think any carrier would be too hot.

If you are handy, I posted these directions for a make your own cooler pad awhile back. You could try to make a small one to put in a carrier, but as Pico's Mom said, they are very heavy because they hold so much water.

http://www.dbarcy.com/article_kool_pad_instructions.htm

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Aug 1 2005, 10:15 AM
Truthfully, in this weather, I make her stay home in the air conditioning. I think any carrier would be too hot.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=86392
[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Here is South Miss it is miserable and Sadie and Sassy have barely been anywhere. They are enjoying their Juicy bags in the house.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Originally posted by Paris'Mom@Jul 31 2005, 10:22 PM
I am going to take my son (aka Doggy-Paris) out with me more and more now.  I know that many of you recommended the Celeuti (sp?) bags or the Lexington Pet carrier (which I can't find anywhere online!!) and those seems like great bags...
BUT with the heat and humidity so high here in Florida, I wonder if those bags would be truly comfortable to our dogs.  I am worried about heat strokes and dehydration if it's too hot inside the bag (even if it's ventilated with mesh screens) since our dogs have LONG hair covering their body.

Anyone else lives in a hot / humid area?  Any thoughts on which carrier would be best for our situation?

I did think about buying those floor pads that serves as a cool surface for the dog to lay down on (the name of the product escapes my mind at this moment) and use that as the mat inside the bag, but the size is probably not going to fit well...

If I do use the mat for that purpose, do you think that it would be TOO COLD if I placed the mat inside the refrigerator before we went outside? 

So many questions, hopes to hear back from you guys.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=86317
[/QUOTE]Where are you in Florida? I'm in North Naples. I liked the idea of a cold pack in the inside pocket. They get some cooling effect without laying directly on the pack. it is very hot and humid now. How about just carrying them for now without a bag?

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
You know...

Going back to Celltei again, they do have a "Lite" version of bags that they have made especially for people who have a hard time carrying much weight. The bag is less sturdy than their other ones, but it's much lighter in material and I think it would be alot cooler.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I am in south florida, and honestly I think its to hot for Sunny ot be outside half the time just walking around the yard...He goes outside to pee and stuff but I dont have him out for more than 10-15min during the summer here.

·
Registered
499 Posts
If you have to take the dog with you on a hot, humid day, why not look into a pet stroller. I saw the Happy Tails stroller on e-bay for about 90.00. Seems it would be much cooler and airier for your little one. You could even put a cool mat down if it is really hot.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Lady's Mom, thanks for the link....I missed it before but I sew all kinds of things and that would be a nice gift to make for someone. I may try to make it anyway to have an extra cool mat for Pico's crate since we have such long hot summers here in Texas.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I was thinking of the same thing earlier this summer. The juicy bag just seemed too hot. But with these heat in South, I think any bag maybe too hot unless you are inside an aircondition room, in which case the bag doesn't matter all that much. So, I opted not to get another bag for now. But I am considering getting the Celtei (spelling?) sometime in the far distant future.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts