Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Tiki loves carrots also! Raw or cooked it doesn't matter. I did some research on it when we first got him and found lots of sites recommending carrots as a healthy snack food. The only warning I saw was to watch very young pups so they don't choke.

This site has a good article on the subject of food/snacks:

Feeding Your Dog

There at lots of good sites out there about toxic foods, you may want to check them out, just to be aware..... I didn't know about some of the foods listed. This is just one of the sites I found:

Pet Care - Toxic Foods

Hope that helps!

PS Tiki also likes; oranges, any cooked and most raw veggies..... We don't really feed him table food, these are all scraps that may have "dropped" while I am preparing a meal

Judi

·
Registered
88 Posts
We feed Noah raw carrots occasionally. He loves. As Tikismom said, be sure to watch they don't choke on them as they get smaller from being chewed. The carrot will turn thier hair a little orange from nawing on it but it washes out.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Sampson and Maggie both like green beans

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My mother made her chicken soup with carrots and i gave Maxi some and he loved it i never saw him eat so fast they are cooked so its easy for him to chew
Joe i will try green beans also i would like to see him eat more veggies
Thanks Everyone!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Daezie and Maya love carrots, green beans, apples, oranges. I used them as a trainning treat and desert after their meal...

·
Registered
54 Posts
mine :ph34r: love carrot and brocoli and cauliflowers raw or cooked :eek:

I cook chicken and and carrot (as my are toothless) and put it on top of the seniour doggie food they like and

Bonnie would go all day day eating the chicken and carrot only if she could..... :lol:

they like it raw too but now they have no teeth I have stoted giving it to them unless it s cooked and soft

·
Registered
346 Posts
Carrots & green beans are supposed to be very good for their breath and supposedly like candy for them, dunno....Morgan will eat anything and I think "anything" is candy to him if he sees me eating it lol

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I'm not allowed to eat carrots unless I'm willing to share. That is a house rule.

As for how much is too much....I'd say that if the poo is coming out really orange, you're feeding too many carrots. :D That's my yardstick, anyway.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I know everyone feeds their babies fresh veggies but it seems that the baby food in a jar digest better with kodie than the fresh veggies. When i feed Kodie fresh veggies (cooked or raw) sometimes i see it in his poo...

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Scooby loves carrots, and most other vegies. He seems to prefer them to his normal food and I just have to make sure he eats his good balance of food before I give him veggies or he will fill up on them and leave his meat etc.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Angel loves carrots and most other veg. Tag will only eat a carrot if he figures Angel is and he won't miss out by letting her have something he isn't getting. He will even go to the extent of taking them out of his food and leaving them on the floor. They both love green beans though and just about any kind of fruit.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
The only table food we have ever tried to feed Rex was a baby carrot. I read in a book that it is a favorite snack of Maltese. Rex wouldnt have anything to do with it! He is like one of my kids, picky, picky!

·
Registered
486 Posts
When I eat carrots and ranch I give Prissy and Shiner pieces of raw carrots. They Love them. Prissy will eat some fruit. Shiner Will eat anything. I was peeling potatoes one time and one fell on the floor and he ate potato peeling. He has had a pickle. Oh my I forgot about this.

Shiner and Prissy both come in the kitchen when I'm cooking Prissy lays on the floor out of the way and Shiner is following me around waiting for me to drop something. I was making some Queso and while chopping Jalapinos (sp?) I droped a small piece. Before I could grab it her had already ate it. He spent the next 2 hours by the water bowl. Silly dog. I swear you could hand him a chunk of dirt and he would try to eat it

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Jul 6 2005, 08:16 AM
I know everyone feeds their babies fresh veggies but it seems that the baby food in a jar digest better with kodie than the fresh veggies.  When i feed Kodie fresh veggies (cooked or raw) sometimes i see it in his poo...

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=78533
[/QUOTE]

Kodie,

I tried the baby food just before I went away thinking that it would be a good alternative to the home cooking I normally do for Teddy while on the road...he was such a mess afterward that it was not worth it in cleaning him up...and because he can't have chicken or beef we were limited to lamb as far as protien went.

Because I feed Teddy naturally (he never gets dog food) he eats all kinds of things...asparagus is his favorite and cooked or raw is fine...he usually has carrots in his dinner along with other veggies...lima beans, green beans, zuchinni, squash, pumpkin, tomato, potato (sweet and other variaties). And he eats just about any fruit you can think of...

I don't usually give raw carrots any more unless they are bought with the stems still on as they are not as slimmy as the packaged ones...which are very slick and yes, I do remember a member either here or on MO saying that her little one choked and needed to be helped by professionals.

I just always watch any time he eats...because like us we never know what may happen...he is a gentle eater so he does fine...but some furbabies like to eat without really chewing.

Susan

1 - 20 of 32 Posts