Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. I'm curious, when you travel with your Maltese on short trips (post office, etc) what do you do? Car seat? Crate? Carrier strapped to seatbelt? I use a car seat for Bella in my Beetle, but when I borrow the truck to go down my dads muddy road to visit, she wont sit in her seat. I think its the bumpy road, or perhaps becuase the seat sits higher in a truck. Any suggestions? Also, I'm going Sunday to visit my brothers soon to be puppy two hours away and I can't bring Bella because the new puppy isn't old enough to be be exposed to new dogs. I am so excited to go see the new puppy but I feel so rotten for leaving Bella while I go, somebody please reassure me

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
I have to say when I go on short trips (like down to the post office which is like a 1/2 mile away on the same road I live on, or down to my mother's which is 2 houses away-we live in a RURAL area so 2 houses away means like 8 acres or so. ) Massimo's on my lap.
So he expects it.

But I do have the harness seat belt buckle in the back and a bed with some toys in it when I have to go somewhere a little further away...he's not too fond of it, but what can I do? -_-

-c

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I have a padded harness for Peanut, but he always gets himself tangled up. On the smallest setting, it's still a little too loose on him. I prefer to use the Celltei bag in the car. It has a seat belt loop on the back of it, and it gives them a little more area to get comfy without getting tangled. The boys feel so comfy in their carriers, so it makes trips a little easier on them. I was interested in those car seats, but I'm 100% sure Peanut would try to climb out and end up hanging by the harness strap.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I have a car seat for Lexi but she hates it. So for short trips she lays on my lap. If we are going on more then a 30 minute trip I put her crate up in the back seat and she stays in that.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by littlepeanut@May 19 2005, 06:43 PM
I have a padded harness for Peanut, but he always gets himself tangled up.  On the smallest setting, it's still a little too loose on him.  I prefer to use the Celltei bag in the car.  It has a seat belt loop on the back of it, and it gives them a little more area to get comfy without getting tangled.  The boys feel so comfy in their carriers, so it makes trips a little easier on them.  I was interested in those car seats, but I'm 100% sure Peanut would try to climb out and end up hanging by the harness strap.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63620
[/QUOTE]

Would you mind sending me some info on your Celltei bag? Im thinking of getting Bella one, but I don't know how big they are.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Chloe had a medium sized plastic crate (Pet-Taxi) that I used in the car for her. She would get stressed being out when we were riding unless she was snuggled up in my arms. Then she started wanting to hop around from passenger to driver which ultimately made up our minds to use the Pet-Taxi. She loved it and would fall asleep after a few minutes.

Now that I have the Pet Stroller I use the carrier portion of that for her in the car. When we get to our destination (if she can't be on her leash for whatever reason) then I just attach the stroller carrier to the stroller base and off we go. Perfect setup for us!

·
Registered
226 Posts
i take tessa out with me as much as i can. she knows she's going on a trip as soon as i grab her carrier and leash. she sits in my lap and has done this since i brought her home from the airport. she doesn't move around in my lap much but every so often she climbs up and sits on my shoulder. its really funny! it reminds me of something a parrot would do. if i have to drive to los angeles or anything further, i leave her in the crate in the back seat. but honestly, as long as tessa has a greenie, she's happy, whether its in my lap, in the passenger seat or in her crate. she's addicted to those suckers!!!!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by bellasmommy@May 20 2005, 10:32 AM
Would you mind sending me some info on your Celltei bag?  Im thinking of getting Bella one, but I don't know how big they are.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63736
[/QUOTE]

pak o pet I have the classic Pakopet in extra small and small. I measured wrong when I got the extra small
I don't know what I was thinking, but Peanut is pretty tall and he loves to squish himself in there. I have been using the extra small for Tic, but he will outgrow it very soon. I think I will be selling the extra small pretty soon.

The extra small is 12.5 inches long and about 10 inches high at the tallest point. The small is 14.5 long and about 11 high. These are the inside measurements. I don't know if you can see in the website's pics, but the back of the extra small has a sort of flap that the car seatbelt can go through, and on the small there are two loops and it came with a long strap that clips together and can go through the loops and around the car seat. I can fit my seatbelt through the loops, but in my bf's car I have to use that extra strap that it came with.

I'm borrowing someone's laptop, so I don't have access to my pics right now. If you think Bella is going to stay small, I'd be happy to sell you my extra small. It's barely used, I just got it maybe a month ago. I'll try to see about the pics tonight. I hope I answered your questions. If you have more, I'll try to answer them for you.

I forgot, the extra small has leather(maybe pleather) handles, and the small has more of a duffle bag type nylon handles. Both come with a removable shoulder strap too.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I trained Bella to sit in the passenger seat. She has a carseat but doesn't like to stay in it.

As far as leaving your baby Sunday, she'll probably love you even more when you get back! I've had to leave my Bella before while my mom was in the hospital. I'm pretty sure she just slept the whole time. I noticed she moved her bed but her toys were still in the same place. Just a tip, don't make a big deal about leaving or she will know something is going on. Save the extra kisses for when you come home. Oh and don't be suprised if you get a dirty look when she smells another dog on you! :D

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I have a car seat also. I'm a BADDDD mommy because for short trips I have kodie on my lap... i HAVE to stop doing that because heaven forbid I have an accident!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Pippinsmom@May 20 2005, 12:36 PM
I was just wondering...for those of you who drive with your malts in your laps...what do you do about the airbag?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63804
[/QUOTE]
I've thought about that. Lexi is just so attached to me she gets mad when she is in back and barks non-stop. I've tried ignoring her and telling her no but it makes no difference. The only way to get her to stop is to put her on my lap. I've tried putting her on the passenger seat and she just jumps over to me. I've thought of getting something like these: Universal Seat Dog Leash Travelin' Dog Car Harness by Comfort Ride
But I don't know if they come small enough.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I *usually* put Deni with Ally in a Snoozer half-bench car seat and connect them with a Batzi belt attached to a harness. I haven't found a small enough harness that is padded, so I just use their regular nylon ones. They travelled like this from NM to CA this past March. My "bigger" dogs (18# Pekapoo and 11# Chihuahua) just sit in the seat and are attached to the seat belt with a Batzi belt and harness.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Pico always rides in his car seat.....I clip his harness to a strap connected to the seat belt so he wouldn't fly through the window in an accident. He enjoys being up at window level and watching the traffic and scenery. Then when he's tired, he curls up and goes to sleep and the raised sides keep him comfy.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by ourprettytessa@May 20 2005, 09:56 AM
she doesn't move around in my lap much but every so often she climbs up and sits on my shoulder. its really funny! it reminds me of something a parrot would do. <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63747
[/QUOTE]

Bella does that too! She even tries to get on my shoulder when Im standing up and when it doesn't work and she gets so mad at me. I dont know what it is that makes them think they are parrots

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
[/QUOTE]

If you think Bella is going to stay small, I'd be happy to sell you my extra small.
[[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for all of the info on the carriers. I think I will wait for now, I am thinking about getting her the Mandarin one that is open on top. She really gets uneasy when she feels closed in, so Im thinking of trying something new. I am hoping to take her somwhere where I can try her in it and see how she does. Thanks for the information, its nice to have dimensions form someone who has a Maltese.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts