Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Casanova Sick with HGE- Update Post #1

11K views 149 replies 79 participants last post by  Ladysmom 
Oh Sophia, just sent you a personal message. I am so sorry about the Cassman! I will say prayers for him..........I feel so bad he is in the hospital and sick. I hope he gets to come home soon!!! Please keep us informed when you can..........sending hugs and love to you~~~~:heart::heart::heart:

Casanova has been admitted into the vet hosital with Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis (HGE). He had bloody poo last night and vomitted this morning. The vet did a rectal in front of me, and I was shocked that he was all bloody inside. We think they will be keeping him at least 1 if not 2 nights to get Casanova stabilized.

Does anyone here have experience with HGE? I am obviously really worried; but on top of that, we (including the vet) have no idea what caused it. We used to feed all home-cooked fish and chicken with veggies, but in the last few months have been feeding 1/2 home cooked and 1/2 Acana Pacifica. Could switching to kibble possibly do this to a dog that was fed home cooked only?

Please pray for Cas that he will be back to normal. I feel like such a wimp...I was crying when I saw the blood and I didn't want to leave my baby there at all.

UPDATE:
Thank you all so much for all your kind wishes and prayers. I am so grateful for my SM family! Thank you so much for your sweet PM's and emails. If I haven't gotten back to you yet, please know that I will and that I appreciate so much hearing from you.

So I spoke to the doctor again. She said that they have been giving him fluids and antibiotics slowly via IV, and that he is doing fine and resting. She is going to call me first thing in the morning, and let me know if he can come home tomorrow or if he needs to stay longer.

I have really been in shock this whole time, and now I have alot of questions I want to ask the vet. I looked at alot of websites, but can't figure out why something this severe can happen so suddenly. What in the world could make his GI start hemorraging? I don't think she is doing any testing on him while he is there. But shouldn't there be tests done now, or is that not standard practice for HGE because the causes have not been identified?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all so much again. Casanova loves all his aunties here.
From all that I have read today, they do not know what the cause is, so I imagine they cannot do any kind of testing to the cause of it. She would know Sophia, so I would not be afraid to ask. I am hoping this is a one time attack like Carina's Cloud had. That would be the best outcome......rest tonight and maybe, just maybe you can take him home tomorrow. She will know best............

I am just now seeing this update........I am so glad Cass had a good night. Poor little Bijou, she is looking for him. Give him lots of puppy kisses from me and keep us udated when you can. Sending love to all..................:wub::wub::wub:

Casanova has been admitted into the vet hosital with Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis (HGE). He had bloody poo last night and vomitted this morning. The vet did a rectal in front of me, and I was shocked that he was all bloody inside. We think they will be keeping him at least 1 if not 2 nights to get Casanova stabilized.

Does anyone here have experience with HGE? I am obviously really worried; but on top of that, we (including the vet) have no idea what caused it. We used to feed all home-cooked fish and chicken with veggies, but in the last few months have been feeding 1/2 home cooked and 1/2 Acana Pacifica. Could switching to kibble possibly do this to a dog that was fed home cooked only?

Please pray for Cas that he will be back to normal. I feel like such a wimp...I was crying when I saw the blood and I didn't want to leave my baby there at all.

UPDATE (Thursday night):
Thank you all so much for all your kind wishes and prayers. I am so grateful for my SM family! Thank you so much for your sweet PM's and emails. If I haven't gotten back to you yet, please know that I will and that I appreciate so much hearing from you.

So I spoke to the doctor again. She said that they have been giving him fluids and antibiotics slowly via IV, and that he is doing fine and resting. She is going to call me first thing in the morning, and let me know if he can come home tomorrow or if he needs to stay longer.

I have really been in shock this whole time, and now I have alot of questions I want to ask the vet. I looked at alot of websites, but can't figure out why something this severe can happen so suddenly. What in the world could make his GI start hemorraging? I don't think she is doing any testing on him while he is there. But shouldn't there be tests done now, or is that not standard practice for HGE because the causes have not been identified?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all so much again. Casanova loves all his aunties here.

UPDATE (Friday morning):
I just called again to check on Casanova this morning. The vet tech said he was alert with no vomiting or diarrhea overnight, and the IV was still in. I have to call back at 9:30am to speak with the doctor. I hope this is good news for him to be released soon...Bijou is definitely not herself. She seems depressed. She keeps running around the apartment checking every dog bed in every room looking for her big brother-- breaks my heart. She did it last night, and she did it first thing this morning. Thank you all for your kind wishes and prayers. I know you are all helping Casanova, and I'm so grateful.

UPDATE (Friday 9am)
Yayyyy!!!! I'm soooo happy!! The doctor just called and Casanova is coming home at 2pm today!! :chili::chili::chili:(These Chili's are beyond awesome!) I have to keep him on a special diet and some medication to get him through the weekend. I know lots of you have asked me about HGE, so I will post what she told me below in case it helps anyone in the future. She didn't run bloodwork because the clinical signs for HGE are different than other conditions, and the priority was to administer fluids and antibiotics to him immediately:

HGE is frank blood. Colitis is the mucousy diarrhea. Pancreatitis presents with fever and stomach pains. She says there is no known cause for HGE, but that it could be stress. She said it used to be thought that it only happened in city dogs, but then it was thought that owners of dogs in the country just didn't know it b/c the dogs were going outside. Because there are no known causes, there is no way to prevent it. She says anytime you see blood in the stool, RUN to your vet with your pet. HGE is very serious.
Oh so glad to hear that!!!! Yah back at ya!!!!

Sophia: What does that mean frank blood???? Is that a typo??? I did not understand.

Once you've experienced HGE, you know what "frank" blood is. As Carol said, your house looks like a CSI crime scene. I still have blood stains on my walk from running Lady to the car when I had to rush her to the ER.
Thank you Marj.......You learn something everyday. I had never heard that expression but now I know and it is something that we all must be aware of.........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.