Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ladies, has any of you experienced living with a cat in heat??? WOW, is it hard! I was so exited because it was time for the kittens to go on sunday and we haven't had a good night sleep in weeks cause the kittens would wake up at 4 in the morning and they wake the mom and Jolie up then everone would proceed to run around the apartment and our heads for hours!!! So anywho, they're gone and now Nunook (mom) is trashing our place EVERY NIGHT, she will wake us up (not kidding) about 20 in one night, she is ripping up doors, windows and blinds. I feel so bad keeping her in side but the last thing I want is another litter of kittens, and I have to wait till she's out of heat to spay her. If anyone is wondering why I didn't spay her sooner it was because I went sailing for three months and when I left she was too young to spay and her sitter didn't realize it was time before it was to late. So all I'm really saying here is horney cats drive people crazy!!!

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
We went through this for one night with one of ours. We took her to the vet and had her boarded until she could be spayed. Our children were small, and there was no way they could sleep, much less us. With just the one night we had, I can really sympathize with you.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
One of my Siamese rescues came into heat just days after I adopted her, before I could get her in to be spayed. It IS horrible, isn't it? My daughter thought I was so mean because I wouldn't let Holly have just one litter of kittens since she was purebred and had papers. Then, when Holly went into heat, my daughter actually called me at work begging me to take her to be spayed immediately! Like that afternoon!

Unlike dogs, cats will just keep coming into heat until they're bred. I'd suggest calling your vet and setting up her spay appointment now so you can run her in as soon as she comes out of heat. Some vets will even spay a cat in heat because it can be so hard to catch them when they're out of heat.

And watch her like a hawk!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Neither of my girls yowled...they did this purring/cooing thing...it was sweet...

BUT, Callie, the first girl...she decided to PEE in my air ducts when she went into heat...
AND I DIDN'T KNOW IT!!! :eek: Not just one...but SEVERAL!!! WTH?!
Anyway, I finally figured out what was wrong...after speaking to the vet and had her spayed...but he didn't have any problem spaying her while she was in heat...

Then, when Little-Bit started that cooing thing...I took her in RIGHT away before she could do something unbearable like Callie did!!!

I cleaned those air-ducts and replaced the vent covers, but every winter when I turn on the heat, I swear I still smell it for the first few weeks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts