Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I have a question I'm hoping someone can answer. I know we're all malt lovers, but my question is about cats. My friend is thinking of getting a cat, but shes worried that the cat will scratch her and she doesn't know if this atually hurts very bad, or if shes worried for nothing. She plans on getting the cat a scratching post so the cat will get to do what she naturally wants to do, but shes never had a cat before and shes just a little worried about the cat scratching her. ANyone here used to have a cat, or have a cat? I would've asked this at a cat forum, but I'm sure since they are cat lovers they might give a biased answer, besides, I trust you guys!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I have a cat. She can get soft paws (I think they are called) they were developed by a vet and it is someones vet here cause I talked about them a while back. They are these tiny rubber caps that fit over thier claws and they keep the nail from scratching....they come in all colors and they are wonderful.

Soft Paws

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by bellasmommy@Aug 9 2005, 09:59 AM
Hi everybody, I have a question I'm hoping someone can answer.  I know we're all malt lovers, but my question is about cats.  My friend is thinking of getting a cat, but shes worried that the cat will scratch her and she doesn't know if this atually hurts very bad, or if shes worried for nothing. She plans on getting the cat a scratching post so the cat will get to do what she naturally wants to do, but shes never had a cat before and shes just a little worried about the cat scratching her.  ANyone here used to have a cat, or have a cat?  I would've asked this at a cat forum, but I'm sure since they are cat lovers they might give a biased answer, besides, I trust you guys!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88677
[/QUOTE]

I've had a cat in my life most of my life. I can't recall being scratched. My daughter has had cats too. She put this sticky stuff on the edge of the sofa and chairs, which taught the cats to leave them alone.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by HollyHobbie@Aug 9 2005, 10:38 AM
I have a cat. She can get soft paws (I think they are called) they were developed by a vet and it is someones vet here cause I talked about them a while back. They are these tiny rubber caps that fit over thier claws and they keep the nail from scratching....they come in all colors and they are wonderful.

Soft Paws
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88696
[/QUOTE]
I think it was LadyMontava's boss that developed them.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
The only time my cats have ever scratched me was when they were REALLY scared or mad...like getting in the crate to go to the vet etc.
Sometimes they can scratch or bite when they are playing with me, and I just say "ow" and they stop. Little Bit will lick it to make it better when I do that.

I love my cats! I think everyone should have to joy of owning at least one.
I would be one of the biased people...

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help everyone
I have another cat question. My friend doesn't have a baby right now, but she wants one someday. I remember hearing something about how you shouldn't have a cat if you have a baby, anyone know what thats about? She doesn't have children right now, but shes a good person and if she gets a cat, she wants it to be for life, so she wants to know everything she can.

By the way, we checked out the Soft Paws you all suggested and now shes absolutely thrilled she won't have to worry about scratching
What a neat invention, the claws are the only reason my mom never let me have a cat as a child

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
My husband got me my cat for our first anniversary.....this was before kids....I have two boys now.

I am not saying the Princess Loves them but she is not mean to them. She has never harmed them besides some small scratch when they pulled her tail or something.

When my oldest one was born I was really nervous. So we slowly introduced them. I came in first and played with her then hubby brought the baby in. She kinda looked and "rolled" her eyes and walked away. They will never be friends but she tolerates them. LOL

But because we had her before them they never knew life before she was never "new" to them so they never chased her or pulled at her. There has been one or two incidents when the youngest one might have slipped a tugg in there or two...but she even now will allow the oldest one (who is 6) to pet her some but it is on her terms lol.

I guess I rambled on and on to say I never had a problem and my sister in law had a cat when all three of hers were babies without a problem either.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I think the reason they say you should not have a cat when you have a baby is that the cats would lay on top of the baby's chest and thus smother it. There is also the reason of the hairs getting in the mouth of the baby.
I would be real careful with a cat in the house and a baby. NEVER EVER leave them alone together. Avoid that the cat can go in the baby's bedroom.
My daughter has a cat (had her before the baby) and it worked out fine. My niece has a cat and it worked out fine. She won't need to get rid of the cat, just be extra careful.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Yeah, the smother thing I have heard. They don't do it on purpose.
There also used to be an old wives tale that the cats would suck the baby's breath because of the milk smell and suffocate them or something.

I had cats with both of my children and they never bothered them.
Once they learned to stay out of the crib...
They were never allowed in there while the baby was sleeping. Spencer cat LOVES the kids, especially Mitchell. That is really his cat now. It will be a sad day when Spencer goes to the bridge.
Sandi, that left us two springs ago, was mine and Emily's. She slept with Emily every night from the time Emily was a toddler until Sandi passed. I would take her to the top of the bunk bed every night when I tucked Emily in.
Callie and Little Bit like to sleep in Emily's bed, but I don't know how much they really care for either of the kids. Callie doesn't really like anyone but me. And she only likes me when Brinkley is not around.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Aug 9 2005, 10:46 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-HollyHobbie
@Aug 9 2005, 10:38 AM

Soft Paws
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88696
I think it was LadyMontava's boss that developed them.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88701
[/B][/QUOTE]
Wow!!!
When we were going to get a cat, before we found out about malts, we ordered soft paws. They look pretty good, and a lot of people like them. The only problem though, is that one of my friends says that it comes off frequently.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
my cats keep their soft paws on for months..we started them out when they were about 3 months old, and just replaced them as they fell off. they dont really need them now, but from time to time i still put them on. of course i had "the man" himself teach me how to put them on

as far as the having kids thing it has to do with changing the litter. doctors make a big deal about cats carrying a protozoan like coccidia called toxoplasmosis. a pregnant woman that changes a litter box from an infected cat can infect the fetus. for one thing...this isnt common...if you are already exposed to it then it wont happen....you can have the same thing happen from handling raw pork and other meat ( much more common) and you can get it from the soil/gardening (also much more common) but to be safe, u dont clean the litter pan when u are preggy..thats hubby's job :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
as far as the having kids thing it has to do with changing the litter. doctors make a big deal about cats carrying a protozoan like coccidia called toxoplasmosis. a pregnant woman that changes a litter box from an infected cat can infect the fetus. for one thing...this isnt common...if you are already exposed to it then it wont happen....you can have the same thing happen from handling raw pork and other meat ( much more common) and you can get it from the soil/gardening (also much more common) but to be safe, u dont clean the litter pan when u are preggy..thats hubby's job [/B]
Now that you are mentioning it, I remember. Lol, make hubby do it, you have a good excuse.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
See I have my hubby convinced that I still Can't do it cause i deal with the kids to much you know wiggy loose teeth, cut thier meat up, help brush thier teeth...that kinda stuff so he is still changing the litter eventhough the youngest one is almost 5. lol

·
Registered
942 Posts
I remember when I was a kid I was "playing" with my cat, and that little wench scratched the white of my right eyeball!
I went to emergency, waited for hours, and never did see a doctor. My mom put a warm cloth on my eye, and did something with peroxide or something like that...traumatic experience!!! She used to scratch me all of the time. If she wasn't in the mood to be petted or if she was mad or whatever the reason, she would get fed up and scratch me.
Ugh!

Let's just say I am not a cat person!

~Elegant

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I have a cat who still has his claws. He never scratches me and is extremely affectionate. He loves to sleep on my lap and in my bed.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
As TLunn said, there used to be an old wives tale that cats would suck the breath out of a baby because of the milk smell on it's breath. I've had cats with babies and my daughter has 3 with my granddaughter and it's been our experience that cats are afraid of the "scary" sounds a baby makes and pretty much avoid them!

There is a disease that can be transmitted from cat feces to pregnant woman that can be passed on to the baby, so you shouldn't clean litter boxes while pregnant.

I think cats make the most wonderful pets! I have ben "dogless" at times, but have not been or ever would be "catless". I think cats are purrfect!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Kittens are a lot like puppies in that they learn from early behavior. I grew up with a cat who was a scratcher and I believe it was because she was played with rough and barehanded as a kitten. My two year old cat now is very gentle, but I made it a point to never let him attack my hands, even in play, as a youngster.

It is also helpful to keep your cat's nails trimmed. I do it about every week or two and it really dulls the nails so they aren't as damaging to me, or the furniture.

The soft paws someone mentioned already are a great option, and are a decent price- I think about $20 for two sets. I used them for awhile when I first brought my cat home and found them to do as they claimed, but they fell off more frequently than I would have liked. But even if you don't notice a nail cap for a day or two there isn't much damage a kitty can do with one nail!

I don't think you mentioned if your friend was thinking of having the cat declawed, but by all means DON'T! It is just the most horrible thing to do to a cat and can lead to all sorts of problems later in life.

Here are a few links one the matter:
Prevent Scratching
Declawing Information

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.