Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my cousin recently adopted a 10 year old shih tzu from the animal shelter who has a developing cataract in her right eye. She was told surgery would fix the cataract, but its very costly. Are there any vitamins or supplements she can give her for healthier eyes?

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Originally posted by g1enda1e@Sep 5 2005, 02:52 AM
my cousin recently adopted a 10 year old shih tzu from the animal shelter who has a developing cataract in her right eye. She was told surgery would fix the cataract, but its very costly. Are there any vitamins or supplements she can give her for healthier eyes?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96933
[/QUOTE]

I have copied the following from the link I have also provided:

Immature and mature cataracts cause a serious reactive inflammation inside the eye (Lens Induced Uveitis, or LIU) that must be medically treated, whether or not surgery is performed. Cataract surgery is an elective procedure. If surgery is not performed, lifetime anti-inflammatory eye drops are required, as well as periodic eye re-examinations. LIU can lead to complications such as glaucoma or a detached retina, and LIU decreases the success rate of cataract surgery. There is a best window of time in which to perform surgery. The earlier the cataract can be removed, the better.

link on cataracts:

http://www.animaleyecare.net/diseases/cataract.htm

Hope this is helpful to you.

Terry and my sweet Angel Missy

1 - 2 of 2 Posts