Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Catcher's Anal Gland Problem - Part I: Well, this morning Catcher went to have his BM and after he had it he was in a crouched over position like he had more to do or something was stuck. So I picked him up and looked back there and there was blood all over his rear area!! I about freaked out! I took a warm paper towel and was going to wipe him up and see what was going on and he squealed in pain. The area was rather swollen and red, also.

I couldn't imagine what was wrong as I had seen no signs of any problems back there. In fact I had gotten some stuck poop off him on Saturday and everything back there looked fine.

So, this was about 6:15 a.m. and I drove immediately to the vet and waited for them to open at 7:00. I didn't feed Catcher because I thought maybe something was impacted and he could need surgery. The vets don't get in until 8:00 so we waited some more.

They finally saw me at 8:15 and of course my vet was not there. He is the senior vet and totally awesome and the other two are not as experienced as he is.

Well, she said he had an infected/ruptured right anal gland. I was surprised to hear that since he had just had grooming on Friday and she is supposed to express his anal glands. The groomer is at the vet's office and the vet checked with her and she said she didn't see anything odd regarding his anal glands on Friday.

It just seems odd to me that the anal gland could get in such bad shape in such a short time, assuming it was fine on Friday.

So, she squirted some medicine up there and gave him a shot of antiobiotic and Baytril to give once a day for 10 days and then she wants to see him again.

He is not acting himself at all. He seems like he is in a daze. ...... Just lying there looking very unhappy. He does get excited about treats, so that is reassuring.

Part II - Well, here is part two of this story. As soon as we got home from the vet's office, Catcher started "going at" his rear area. He would not leave it alone. So I went back to the vet's office to get a Bite Not Collar. Well, they were out of the small Bite Not and put a very small cone on him. I thought it looked awfully small, but figured they knew what they were doing.

We got home and he started at it again. The small cone did nothing to stop him. So, back to the vet we went and the girl who took him back said that that cone was too small; that it should be larger than their nose. So he then came out with a really large cone. They were out of the size he needed! They called their other office a few miles away and they also were out of the cone and the Bite Not.

So, home we went and he was totally miserable with the large cone and I knew I just had to find the Bite Not. I got out the yellow pages and started calling vet's offices. Most didn't even know what I was talking about.

Finally, I came to my old vet's number. I thought I would pass that one up as I felt sort of embarrassed calling them since I no longer go there. But then I thought, "What if they're the ones who have it." So I called and yep... they had it! I drove over immediately and got it and it is a God send. I am so happy to have found it and now I own it and can use it if anything happens in the future for him or Kallie. Yea!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
What a morning you have had! And poor little Catcher. Hope things will go better from here! Does the rupture repair itself? I also find it odd that the anal sacs could get that congested in 2 days. Hope Catcher is back to normal really soon!

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Sorry to hear about Cather's problem. Hopefully, he will be back to his old self in no time.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
My neighbor's mother's dog had that happen! It does heal by itself. She was on antibotics for a week or so and it was fine aftere that.

I would have totally freaked out! Poor Catcher!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Oh, what a way to start the week! Did the vet tell you how this could happen that quickly? Here's hoping Catcher gets well real quick

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Did some searchs on this:
Briefly, Describe Infection, Abcess, And Rupture Of The
AnalGlands.

Infection of the anal glands is not uncommon especially with chronic impaction.
When one or both of the glands become(s) infected they often will rupture to
the outside and drain, similar to any other abcess. This can be quite painful
when it occurs, but fortunately most patient's anal glands will heal in a short
time (several days).

Briefly, How Do You Treat Abscess And Rupture Of The Anal
Glands?

In uncomplicated cases we treat this by cleaning out (flushing) the ruptured anal
gland with antiseptic solution and placing the patient on antibiotics when
indicated. After the ruptured gland has healed over we express it periodically to
try to insure that it's not becoming impacted again.[/B]
Anal Sac Disease

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Poor Catcher!! Don't these things always happen at most unfortunate times? Are you sure that the groomer didn't do anything wrong? I am not suggesting anything but it seems pretty close in time.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by okw@Aug 8 2005, 04:03 PM
Poor Catcher!!  Don't these things always happen at most unfortunate times?  Are you sure that the groomer didn't do anything wrong?  I am not suggesting anything but it seems pretty close in time.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88359
[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean.... it is just awfully coincidental. Maybe she did and didn't realize it. I have been using her for about ten years. She did my first Maltese, Rosebud. She is a very dependable and intelligent person and I truly think if she had noticed something she would have had one of the vets look at it right then.

My other thought was maybe she forgot to express them or maybe she was not getting all the stuff out and it got infected. The vet said that from now on it might be best to have them do the internal expressing... that the groomer should just grab one of the vets to come in and do it during Catcher's grooming session.

I would have thought I would have had some signs such as scooting or something! Last evening I did notice that Catcher was sort of chewing at his tail but I thought that was from grooming as sometimes both he and Kallie do more scratching and biting right afterward.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Aww...I'm so sorry. Poor Catcher....that must be really painful.
Give him cuddles and kisses.....

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by Mystify79@Aug 8 2005, 05:17 PM
I would have had a heart attack if I had seen blood like that.  :eek:  <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88396
[/QUOTE]

Yep, I about did! I have to take medicine to keep my heart rate from speeding up, especially in stressful situations. I had to take a double dose this morning! And my hand was shaking so badly that I could't even get my lipstick on!! (And my hands don't normally shake at all!)

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Aug 8 2005, 04:22 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Mystify79
@Aug 8 2005, 05:17 PM

I would have had a heart attack if I had seen blood like that.  :eek:  <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88396
Yep, I about did! I have to take medicine to keep my heart rate from speeding up, especially in stressful situations. I had to take a double dose this morning! And my hand was shaking so badly that I could't even get my lipstick on!! (And my hands don't normally shake at all!)
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88398
[/B][/QUOTE]
And then you had to wait 2 HOURS?! I would have been a total basket case by the time I saw the vet!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
OMG, your poor baby. I would have been totally freaked out...!!
Poor thing. Is the medicine helping? I mean is he still crying when he has to go or did the medicine freeze the area. Will he be ok still eatin his regular food or is he on liquids for a day or two.
Chester had that problem once. Only there was not blood. He did have diarrhea and was throwing up as well.
Every since the vet express his anal glad he has never had to do it again.
It has been three years since.
I hope catcher feels better soon. Please keep us posted.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts