Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago Catcher started chewing on one of his back feet. This wasn't just a little chewing but he was doing it a lot. I took him to the vet and he did a physical exam, checked temperature, etc. and everything was OK. He then washed the foot in something and gave him a shot of a mild dose of prednisone. That was about a week ago. The shot didn't help and he is still chewing on the foot.

A new symptom has come up now.... Yesterday, Catcher urinated two separate times in his crate and he has never done that before, even as a puppy.

So, I was thinking maybe he has a UTI and maybe he was chewing on the foot because something didn't feel right elsewhere.

He had his yearly physical earlier this month with all the blood panels, etc. and everything was perfect.

He has a vet appointment today at 3:20 so we'll see what 's going on....

Any suggestions, etc. are welcomed!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,615 Posts
Poor little thing...I hope he's feeling better. Could there be something stuck in his pad? I'm thinking like a splinter or even a piece of glass? Reason why I ask, my brother's Shih Tzu was doing the same thing. They treated with steroids and a foot soak to no avail. Turns out, he had a tiny piece of glass embedded in his pad. About two weeks prior to the paw chewing, my brother broke a glass on his kitchen floor. He thought he had gotten all the pieces up, but apparently he didn't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,036 Posts
I don't have any suggestions or experience, but I did want you to know that we are thinking about Catcher and hope everything turns out to be minor. Please let us know what this afternoon's appointment reveals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,614 Posts
I hope everything is okay... let us know what the vet says.

Kodie has been licking and biting and i dunno what else to his legs and paws.... i think it might be allergies or something ... but then i'm thinking maybe he is stressed out because of whats going on in my life... i havent been acting myself and havent really did much with kodie... so i'm guessing he could be stressed out as well...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,486 Posts
Oh no. Hope it isn't anything too serious. Jolie was gnawing on her foot some years ago and the vet decided it was a fungus. He was kind of a no nonsense vet and his treatment was for me to put 1/4 cup clorox in a few inches of bath water and have her stand in the warm water for 5 minutes, 2 times a day. It worked like a charm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,659 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much since he just had bloodwork done a few weeks ago, but I know you will! It's hard not to panic when our little ones aren't acting right.

He only got the one shot of Prednisone, right? UTI's are common with regular steriod use because they suppress the immune system. You wouldn't think one shot would do it, but you never know how the body will react to steriods.

Is he drinking more water than usual?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@Oct 27 2005, 09:43 AM
Poor little thing...I hope he's feeling better.  Could there be something stuck in his pad?  I'm thinking like a splinter or even a piece of glass?  Reason why I ask, my brother's Shih Tzu was doing the same thing.  They treated with steroids and a foot soak to no avail.  Turns out, he had a tiny piece of glass embedded in his pad.  About two weeks prior to the paw chewing, my brother broke a glass on his kitchen floor.  He thought he had gotten all the pieces up, but apparently he didn't.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=113923
[/QUOTE]
I just broke a huge glass pan in my kitchen last week.
and I have been so paranoid that I might have missed a piece and Tuck will step on it. (Also very paranoid about thorns, splinters, ect.)

I wish I knew what to tell you, but I really don't have any advice, sorry. I think you're doing the right thing by taking him to the vet. I hope it's nothing serious. Please keep up posted.
to Catcher.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,652 Posts
I hope Catcher is ok and there is nothing serious going on with him

Scooby has a habit of chewing on one of his back paws too and he does it more after he has had his claws trimmed for some reason. We have checked his foot for any foreign object etc. and there is nothing there that we know of, but then he has been doing this like it seems forever. Sometimes he will do it if he gets told off for doing something silly too, like a child sucking his thumb. I thought it may have been the grass outside in his yard irritating him but he has no apparent allergies as the vet says, it is just a habbit with him. Maybe we should buy him a pacifyer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,856 Posts
Hope Catcher is ok.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by LadysMom@Oct 27 2005, 11:25 AM
I wouldn't worry too much since he just had bloodwork done a few weeks ago, but I know you will! It's hard not to panic when our little ones aren't acting right.

He only got the one shot of Prednisone, right? UTI's are common with regular steriod use because they suppress the immune system. You wouldn't think one shot would do it, but you never know how the body will react to steriods.

Is he drinking more water than usual?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=113944
[/QUOTE]

Hi Marj, no he isn't drinking lots of water and has no typical UTI symptoms except for urinating yesterday in his crate. Today when I came home for lunch he had not urinated in his crate, this time.

He got just the one prednisone shot and the vet said it was a very mild dose.

The vet examined his foot carefully and cleaned it well, etc. He only chews on that one foot. He hasn't been around any glass that I know of. He only is in the house or on the patio/grass area, which is fenced in and locked all the time. He's messing with the foot now and he seems to be licking it more than chewing.

I tried to get a urine sample so the vet wouldn't have to get one. I tried Missy's Mom's idea of the soup ladle and it worked really well but I couldn't see where I was airming for, so I only got a teeny amount.

Thanks everyone for your good wishes for Catcher.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,840 Posts
to Catcher!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,725 Posts
Sheryl, I have no clue of what it could be but please keep us posted on his progress. Please give him a hug from Bijou and me. Julia
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,916 Posts
I'm surprised the vet gave him a steriod shot right off the bat. That's probably what caused the hyper-urination. I would have thought he would treat it more locally first, or even X-Ray that leg to see if there is a reason it might be hurting him. It could be like you said--something hurting him somewhere else and he just started chewing/licking on what was handy. Over use of cortisone in our pets is one reason so many end up with Cushing's when they are seniors--like Frosty. His first vet, for the first 5 years, was an old school guy. Every time Frosty had an itchy spot he was given predisone pills. There was cortisone shampoo, spray and everything for allergies. It does the trick for all those itchy problems, but it's not worth the risk to me, now that I know about and have to deal with Cushing's.

Anyway I hope Catcher is OK! It could be anything from a sore toenail or a sliver somewhere in that furry paw that can't be seen or a sprained ankle, or just that he's discovered a new pastime--chewing on a foot. I have a special feeling for Catcher! He looks like Frosty when he was young, and if I remember right, they are related---wayyyyy back in the pedigree! Keep us posted, I hope it's not serious.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by Frosty's Mom@Oct 27 2005, 01:11 PM
I'm surprised the vet gave him a steriod shot right off the bat. That's probably what caused the hyper-urination. I would have thought he would treat it more locally first, or even X-Ray that leg to see if there is a reason it might be hurting him. It could be like you said--something hurting him somewhere else and he just started chewing/licking on what was handy. Over use of cortisone in our pets is one reason so many end up with Cushing's when they are seniors--like Frosty. His first vet, for the first 5 years, was an old school guy. Every time Frosty had an itchy spot he was given predisone pills. There was cortisone shampoo, spray and everything for allergies. It does the trick for all those itchy problems, but it's not worth the risk to me, now that I know about and have to deal with Cushing's.

Anyway I hope Catcher is OK!  It could be anything from a sore toenail or a sliver somewhere in that furry paw that can't be seen or a sprained ankle, or just that he's discovered a new pastime--chewing on a foot. I have a special feeling for Catcher! He looks like Frosty when he was young, and if I remember right, they are related---wayyyyy back in the pedigree! Keep us posted, I hope it's not serious.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=113971
[/QUOTE]

Hi, thanks so much for the info. I wish the vet would have asked me about the shot. He brought him back from the treatment area and told me about the shot. Said it was a very light dose, but I probably would have declined it. I do love and trust my vet but still... I wish he hadn't given him the shot.

It could be that the foot thing and the urinating in his bed are totally unrelated and just a coincidence... ?? The pred shot was given on October 21. I wonder if any problems from it, such as the urination, would just be showing up ??

Well, I'll see what he says this afternoon. Yep, I do believe Frosty and Catcher have some of the same relatives!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,659 Posts
Not just Cushings, but diabetes can also be caused by Prednisone. This is from the canine diabetes website:

Causes

genetic
infectious viral diseases
immune-mediated destruction of the pancreatic beta cells
pancreatitis
drugs: glucocorticoids (steroids) and progestagens (reproductive hormones)
predisposing diseases: hyperadrenocorticism, acromegaly


I have even read about cases of transient diabetes (it goes away which is very unusual in dogs) being caused by a course of steriods.

Now, Sher, don't panic! I've never heard of diabetes being caused by just one shot!

But, as Frosty's Mom says, the side effects are something we should all be aware of.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by LadysMom@Oct 27 2005, 01:35 PM
Not just Cushings, but diabetes can also be caused by Prednisone. This is from the canine diabetes website:

Causes

genetic
infectious viral diseases
immune-mediated destruction of the pancreatic beta cells
pancreatitis
drugs: glucocorticoids (steroids) and progestagens (reproductive hormones)
predisposing diseases: hyperadrenocorticism, acromegaly


I have even read about cases of transient diabetes (it goes away which is very unusual in dogs) being caused by a course of steriods.

Now, Sher, don't panic! I've never heard of diabetes being caused by just one shot!

But, as Frosty's Mom says, the side effects are something we should all be aware of.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=113977
[/QUOTE]

Marj, thanks for the info and you're too funny..... you know me too well!!!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We just got back from the vet. He said that the peeing in his crate yesterday could possibly have been caused by the prednisone. He said that sometimes the pred "sits there" and doesn't cause excess peeing until a few days later. In Catcher's case it was 5 days later. He got some urine and did a urinalysis. It showed some red and some white cells. He said normal is like up to 4 and he had 10-15. His PH was normal though which apparently isn't consistent with a bladder infection. They are checking for crystals but won't have results until 30 more minutes and I went ahead and left and he'll call me if they find crystals.

So, he put him on Keflex and then we'll do a urinalysis again a few days after he finishes. I can't remember the exact number of days... I'll call and get that info.

He didn't use the urine I got but took it directly. He explained how he does it and said in a male dog that they don't usually even notice. He said one reason he wanted to get the urine is because that way he can make sure there is no obstruction, which there wasn't. He said females don't get obstructions because the urethra is large but in males it is small and they can get obstructions.

He looked at Catcher's foot again and said it is probably allergies and there was no broken skin or anything so we'll just keep an eye on it.

He didn't charge me at all for the exam since we were just there last week, which I really appreciated.

So, that's it for now. We'll just have to wait and see what's going on. He said if the Keflex doesn't clear up the red and white cells, the next step is an X-ray to see if there are stones.

So, I guess I'll be worrying about all this for a while longer!
 
1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Top