Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help........CeeCee has a dental cleaning that has been scheduled for sometime now on July 7th. I was looking at her teeth today and I noticed when I pulled her upper lip back that one of her big teeth in the back has a crack all the way up it into the gumline. You can put your finger on that part of the tooth and it just flaps back and forth where it is broken. Isn't that dangerous being open all the way up? I will call the vet in the morning..........I use cleaning pads and get in the back of the mouth but not really looking and I use Leba III. Bless her little heart!!!

Why is it that when something happens to our babies, it is usually the weekend?? She seems fine but I feel awful that it is that bad and I didn't know. I guess she will lose that tooth and I hate that also~~~

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Dianne - Sorry this happened! :huh: Also you have no idea when it happened - could have been a while ago. Best to talk to the vet but I'm assuming that cleaning might be moved up. Cee Cee was going to be put under for the cleaning right? So at least it won't be an additional go around with anesthesia if you can combine both. I broke the back of my tooth a few months ago but the dentist looked at it and said it was just the enamel :w00t: Just? And it's a part of my mouth where there's rarely decay. Worried it would be worse to try to bond or do anything with. However a crack to the gum line is definitely more serious. Let us know what he says. And give Cee Cee lots of kisses to make it all better. Tell her to stop eating those steel beams:)

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Oh Dianne, you're a great mommy to notice this on your own. Zoe had the exact same thing happen last year and I didn't notice it. The vet found it at her bi-annual check up. I have no idea how long it had been that way. Zoe never acted like she was in pain. I know in humans, that is very painful. But either it's different in dogs, or they are just hiding the pain very well like they often try to do. See if your vet can get her in any sooner for the dental but I would not panic if it's more like a week or 2 before they can do it. On Zoe, they thought the tooth just loose due to perio, and discovered it was a crack all the way down to the root during the dental. So they didn't rush on her. I think we scheduled the dental for a week after her exam.

Hugs to you and that beautiful girl CeeCee. And while you're at it, give one to sweet Rain too!:wub:

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
It actually flaps back & forth? I'm not a doggie dentist,but I assume it does need to come out. Boo also has a cracked tooth way in the back. It's stable,but he won't let me brush that side & he no longer chews on that side either. Not sure what I'm going to do about it at this point(still dealing with the knee surgeries). I did get an estimate to either pull it or do a rootcanal. Boo also knocked a front tooth loose last yr & it was a Sat. afternoon. I did take him in for ER visit. It was flapping around & dangling. I think for CeeCee,I'd give soft food this evening & take her in the morning. My vet always acts like I panic over nothing.:blush: She'll be ok Dianne, we don't even miss Boo's little front tooth.I do know how you feel though, I was a bit upset over it at first.Hugs

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
Oh poor little Cee Cee. I hope that tooth isn't causing her any pain. She has a good mommy though so I know you will give her the best care until it can be fixed or pulled or whatever will need to happen.

Hugs to miss Cee Cee and mommy...

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Or those chains her mommy has laying around! :LOL:

Sorry...couldn't resist. :innocent:
Crystal, I found it but how long has it been that way? I don't know if it just happened or it was broken a while back. I don't look at her back teeth. I just put a rubber glove on and use the pad and go over her back teeth.......

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It actually flaps back & forth? I'm not a doggie dentist,but I assume it does need to come out. Boo also has a cracked tooth way in the back. It's stable,but he won't let me brush that side & he no longer chews on that side either. Not sure what I'm going to do about it at this point(still dealing with the knee surgeries). I did get an estimate to either pull it or do a rootcanal. Boo also knocked a front tooth loose last yr & it was a Sat. afternoon. I did take him in for ER visit. It was flapping around & dangling. I think for CeeCee,I'd give soft food this evening & take her in the morning. My vet always acts like I panic over nothing.:blush: She'll be ok Dianne, we don't even miss Boo's little front tooth.I do know how you feel though, I was a bit upset over it at first.Hugs
I did not know they did root canals........I wish I could do that for CeeCee but it is broken all the way up and it moves back and forth when you touch it. If only they could put a cap on it.....I'm sure they will do an x-ray too.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
OMG, I have four dogs and cannot "SEE" a thing!!!! My eye sight is not all that good....

You found a cracked tooth and thank heavens CeeCee's going in really pretty soon for a cleaning....I'm sure they'll take care of it then.

I wish I could see better...grrrrrrrr....so I could see what's going on in my dog's mouths....

Good catch, my friend!!!!

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Pat, time for some readers (they come in all different strengths :LOL: )

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Oh no! Poor Ceecee. Well done for seeing it. I have never had that happen so haven't a clue, but wish her the best.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Aww, poor CeeCee. I hope they can save that toothie.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
I'm sorry about CeeCee's tooth, Dianne!! I can't believe you found it also! I never look in their mouth for some reason...Just get in and get out spraying that Leba stuff....I need to investigate in there just like you!!! Hope the tooth ends up okay!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
poor sweet ceecee, i hope its not bothering her too much! she's so lucky to have such a great mommy. :wub:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts