Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a few weeks, cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sale calls. You will be charged for these calls since you pay for the minutes used on your cell phone. Call this number from your cell phone 888-382-1222. You must call from the number you want blocked. It is the national DO NOT CALL list. It only takes a minute of your time. It blocks your number for 5 years. Please pass this on to everyone you know who doesn't want to be hassled.

EDIT: i just called, you can also go to donotcall.gov if you want to register your number

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Oh geez, that is crazy to allow them to call cells, especially since it costs us minutes! Thanks for the number, I will definantely call it. If I wanna buy something, I will call whatever company or go to the store, it drives me nuts when sales people call me. I understand they are just making a living, but the calls are still annoying.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Thanks Jessica!!! It's hard enough to deal with the phone calls from my fam and friends all day long, I don't need to get bothered by telemarketers too

·
Registered
416 Posts
Go to www.urbanlegends.about.com/library to verify all things like this.

Companies can only give out your # to telemarketers with your consent.

While it's true that the major wireless phone providers (except Verizon) have announced their intention to establish a 411 directory of customers' cell phone numbers beginning in 2006, it is not true that they plan to "publish" said directory for any and all to read. Participating companies say the numbers will be made available only via telephone to users who dial directory assistance and pay a fee, and only with customer consent.

'No telemarketing,' insist wireless providers

The companies swear the numbers will never be accessible to telemarketers. In fact, per FCC regulations, telemarketers are already prohibited from calling cell phone numbers using automated dialers, which are standard in the industry.

Current Results
Not everyone is convinced that consumers' privacy will be adequately shielded, however, as evidenced by a privacy protection bill already introduced in Congress which would modify the plan to allow 411 callers to be directly connected to requested parties without the latter's phone numbers being given out. Lawmakers have yet to act on the legislation.

No deadline for Do Not Call Registry

In any case, the Federal Trade Commission does allow cell phone users to add their numbers to the National Do Not Call Registry — the same one already in force for landlines — either on the Web or by calling 1-888-382-1222.

Contrary to what some variants of the email rumor claim, there is no 31-day or December 15 deadline for adding cell phone numbers to the Do Not Call list — indeed, there is no deadline whatsoever.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Thanks!

-c

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Thanks Boom Boom's mom. I was just waiting for that first telemarketing call on my cell phone (I pity the fool). I dont know how or why but I used to no kidding get 10 phone calls a night from telemarketers. more on weekends. I would get home and have 10-15 on my caller ID. When I take a sick day, I plan on sleeping. Nope, my day was full of a ringing phone. I finally became super rude woman and left a nasty message on my answering machine telling them I dont want them to call. Then came the do not call list, which has helped but not completely because non profits can still call...
I realize it is their job but I get junk mail for that. Waste of trees but thats another story. Nothing makes me angrier than having dinner to a ringing phone. I dont feel I should need to turn my ringers off or take the phones off the hook either.

This should be the other way around. Like an OK TO CALL list. If I sign up you can call me, but if not - leave me alone!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Holliberry@Apr 29 2005, 01:30 PM
I dont know how or why but I used to no kidding get 10 phone calls a night from telemarketers.  more on weekends.  I would get home and have 10-15 on my caller ID.  When I take a sick day, I plan on sleeping.  Nope, my day was full of a ringing phone.  I finally became super rude woman and left a nasty message on my answering machine telling them I dont want them to call. Then came the do not call list, which has helped but not completely because non profits can still call... 
I realize it is their job but I get junk mail for that.  Waste of trees but thats another story.  Nothing makes me angrier than having dinner to a ringing phone.  I dont feel I should need to turn my ringers off or take the phones off the hook either. 

This should be the other way around.  Like an OK TO CALL list.  If I sign up you can call me, but if not - leave me alone! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58101
[/QUOTE]
My dad works 3rd shift so he sleeps during the day. He is "in charge" of my grandma, who is in a nursing home, so he likes to keep the phone in the bedroom so that if they call he can hear it. He gets anywhere from 5-25 phone calls a day from telemarketers. He has told a couple of them that call for my older brother that he died.
They were like "Oh, I'm so sorry, I'll take him off our lists".
The army kept calling for my younger brother when he was in highschool. Well he was never home and they kept calling. My mom finally was like "OMG!! You guys want him that is great. I didn't know you guys recruited people with heart defects. That is great!!! He would have insurance for life." She kept the guy on the phone for 20 minutes. She finally let him get a word in and we have never heard from them again.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for posting that boomboom's mom
i wasn't sure, i figured might as well fill it out to be SURE... my little thing didn't have a 'deadline' or anything.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts