Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chanel will be 7 months old on the 17th this month. She will be getting spayed on Thrusday this week and staying overnight. I have some anxiety, but I know this is the right thing to do. I spoke with a few people already. Have any of your dogs changed personalities once they were spayed or neutered?

Any last minute things I should know before taking her? I know not to feed after 10 pm the night before or in the morning. That's it. Oh, no baths for 10-14 days. Ok, that's it.

Thanks.

~Elegant

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
My ButterCloud was nuetered not too long ago. All went well. I sorta kinda cried when I dropped him off. I talked about it here. I don't think she'll be in pain because she'll be drugged up. Cloud was pretty normal.

I don't know if your vet has told you this yet but when you take her home the next morning, you're not suppose to feed her alot. And even though she wants to drink alot, dont let her go crazy because too much of food or water will make her throw up. They say to give them food and water more frequently than you usually would in smaller amount.

I don't really think you should worry about any pain. They're going to give you pain meds. Cloud didnt look like he was in pain but he didn't want anyone touching the area where they made the incision.

I was sad for a couple days because Cloud couldnt sleep on the bed with me.
But everything went well. Giving her new toys and treats is a great idea!

Take Care! XOXOXOXOXO

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I think I am taking Brinkley on Friday to get neutered too...

I am not looking forward to it...so I know how you are feeling.
My vet does use the inside dissolving stitches...he said I won't even know anything has been done to him by Saturday morning...so we'll see...he is also getting some teeth pulled and hairs removed out of the corners of his eyes..
Poor thing...
Anyway...what really is botheriing me is what someone...I think on here...told me REALLY happens when they "remove" the boy parts... :eek: the thought of that just really makes me sick to my stomach...
(I looked for that post and can't find it...may have been on the "other"...

Good luck to you and Chanel. I would hate the overnight part...but I guess females are a bigger deal than males...

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I asked about the dissolving stitches, and the vets that I spoke with said that they use the regular stitches on females more often than not, and the dissolvable ones on the boys. They use the regular ones for femlaes because the surgery is way more intensive for the females, much more being done.

I already have a collar/shield, it was $11...they were going to charge $30, sheesh, I should get into the collar/shield business.

Thanks again, although I am feeling more and more sad as the days go by. I felt this way too with my Rottie when we spayed her. Just weird.

Good luck tlunn!

~Elegant

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Lexi was spayed at the end of July when she was 6 months old. She was fine. Like Toby Lexi became even more cuddly.

I was very happy that I got the baby onsesies and the cone thing because Lexi kept trying to get at her stitchs. I kept her in the onesies when I was home but if I had to leave I put the cone on her.

Also I would get some pain meds to take home with you. Lexi was sore the next day but you the second day she was back to normal. Lexi's friend, Ellie, got spayed and her vet kept her over night. When her parents picked her up the vet gave her a shot of morphin that lasted for I think 24-48 hrs. So they didn't need any pain meds.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Elegant,

I know exactly how you feel.
I couldn't sleep at all the night before taking Princess to the vet. Even after I dropped her off I was still worried about if something might go wrong.

Princess was a little tired when I picked her up. She was fine the next day.

Good luck and hopefully you don't stress out too much.

Give chanel a lot of love after the surgery.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Elegant@Oct 11 2004, 10:14 AM
I asked about the dissolving stitches, and the vets that I spoke with said that they use the regular stitches on females more often than not, and the dissolvable ones on the boys.  They use the regular ones for femlaes because the surgery is way more intensive for the females, much more being done.~Elegant
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=11730
[/QUOTE]

Hi, Catcher is being neutered on Thursday. Seems like a few of us are going through neutering or spaying this week. My vet uses metal stitches. They said the reason they do that is it keeps the dog from licking or messing with the incision so much. I do remember those "nasty" metal things poking out when Kallie was spayed and she never used the collar so I guess it worked OK.

Anyway, blessings to all of our babies who are going through this in the next few days.

J

·
0 Posts
Lacey was spayed a few weeks ago. I was aloud to bring her home the same day as her surgery. That night she did nothing but sleep. I had to wake her up to give her the pain meds. She was spayed on Thursday and by Friday at noon she was acting her normal self. Playing, running, jumping. The vet called me at 11 am that morning to see how she was doing. I asked her if the pain meds were suppose to make her tired. She said the pain meds should make Lacey calm. I told her you better tell her that because she is running and jumping all over the place. The vet told me to keep an eye on her but that Lacey would know when she couldn't do something and when she could. I wasn't aloud to take her for her daily walk until the dissolvable stitches were gone. I too was so worried about Lacey and the surgery. Lacey was a real little trooper. She too was clean before the surgery but afterward she was a little smelly and dirty. Couldn't wait until I could give her a bath.
Oh and everyone at the vets office just fell in love with Lacey. The vet told me that just before Lacey went to sleep for the surgery she gave her a kiss on the nose - Lacey gave the vet a kiss. Not to many maltese in my area so people just want to know what kind of dog she is and just want to pet her. And it doesn't hurt that Lacey is such a pretty little girl.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Jami-No kidding! Cloud wasn't "calm" at all.
I went to a different vet than my original b/c it was cheaper and b/c I knew one of the vet techs there. I didn't like it there too much. They were fairly nice, but noone called the next day to check up on him. My original vet would call me! Once, Noriko hurt her leg and was limping funny (first time experiencing this), and my bf and I FREAKED. We called the vet and they said to wait it off. Both the receptionist and the dr. told me to please call them back the next day!

That's so sweet that Lacey gave the dr. a kiss...Makes the dr. take extra special care of her!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My gosh, Jami that story is cute.

I just want her to be left with a clean scar...I don't want to see anything or have lumpy scar tissue after it all heals. I wonder what is best? The dissolvable ones or the stitches you have to take out by hand? I heard females should use the regular stitiches and not the dissolvable ones, but I really wanted the dissolvable ones...seems easier.

Any observations of scar tissue after surgeries?

Thanks.

2 days until she goes...

~Elegant

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Elegant, I dont know the answer to that. But, she is so young that she should heal really nicely.

Cloud healed nicely and he's 9 mos old. I, personally, don't care as long as I don't have to open him back up again. Besides, his hair is gonna grow back, covering it up.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Lexi was spayed a little over 2 months ago. She had external stitches (plain old stitches). The scar is lumpy. When my parents dog was spayed (13 years ago) I remember the scar was lumpy but I think over time it go better/smother.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts