Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i just got back in town from a week long trip (Sunny came with) and i noticed a real change in personality from him. I dont know if its just him growing up and not being so much of a puppy anymore or what but its so weird. He is 8 months old and got neutered kinda recently. Anyways so he has never been a real lap dog, if i get a hold of him he would sit still for maybe a few min but lately he at just been jumping up on my lap and sitting there for like an hour (not nessesarly bad but a huge change) in general he is just a lot calmer, letting me put in hair up in differnt ways and clip his nails and stuff like that. But then he also has gotten really protective of me, like if he is alone or if its just him and my mom and someone comes up to him he will just sit there but if i am holding him or if he is near me and someone comes near my he flips out barking and growling (not bitting but growling) and if another dog comes up to me and is sniffing me (we saw there 2 tiny maltese on our trip they must have been less than 3lbs full grown) he really freaks when the little malt jumped up on my leg while i was holding him he made sounds i have never heard from him....its not like he is bad around other dogs either i take him over my a friend of mines house whole has a lab mix he plays with just fine all the time. I guess what i am asking here is if this is normal for him to change? or is it even premenent?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Brink started being more like this a couple months after he was neutered. It was a good change, as although he liked to be "near" me before...he then started wanting to be in my lap...to sleep and love.
He is calm during grooming etc., although he really hates me to clip his nails/mess with his feet still.

Anyway, sounds like Sunny has gone through "the change"
. I liked it. :D

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Gosh, I guess no one can say for sure 100% if it is permanent but it probably is. It seems, to me, that his changes are for the better... he's growing up and feeling more secure. Catcher lets me groom him now, too and he is about 10 months. When he was younger it was a challenge.

Sounds like Sunny is really protective of you. ... keeping others away. Catcher will actually do that with Kallie.. If Catcher is on my lap and Kallie comes near me, Catcher will snap and snarl at her. It really makes me mad and I let him know I don't like it but it wouldn't bother me as much with a strange dog except that I'd be afraid the other dog might snap back.

By the way.... I was wondering where you were... missed your posts! Glad you had a good trip....

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So this is all normal it sounds like...just sometimes i have a hard time beliving this is even the same dog i had a few weeks ago lol. Still love him of course though, does anyone know anyway to make him calm down a little bit about other dogs and people coming near me?

This is a little random but aside from the tiny malts this is a photo of another dog he barked at (and i dont really blame him for barking at her lol) i just about jumped a foot in the air when i turned around and saw this lol

the photo was on the top of a flyer, the owners are grommers and she is like there logo

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Gosh, the paws on the pink doggie looks sorta "EWWW."

·
Registered
894 Posts
:new_Eyecrazy: :new_Eyecrazy: OMG!! I would RUN not walk away from ANY groomer that would do that to a dog and think it was good enough to advertise their business.....What were they thinking!! :new_Eyecrazy: :new_Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would never get that done to my Sunny but in the grommers defense we were at the Macon Cherry Blossem Festival, the whole town was pink....they ever painted the lines on the roads pink lol. I just got all my photos fromteh trip uploaded on the computer i think i am gonna make a topic about it (gotta have an excuse to post tons of cute photos of the Sunny boy)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts