Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gave Paris her bath last night. The only thing I did different was put the Cure Care conditioner on after the Allermyl shampoo and creme rinse. I wrapped her in the towl and carried her from the kitchen sink to my bathroom counter to dry her off. When I unwrapped the towel both of her sides looked like cotton balls! The hair was all matted up and didn't even look wet (like it did on her face and her back). It took me FOREVER to get all the matts out and bless her heart, she just sat there will I did it. Once I had them all combed out I dried her as usual and she was fine. I combed her this morning and there were no matts. I don't understand what happened. Is this the beginning of the "changing coats" and if so, how long will this last? Her hair is probably about 2 1/2 inches long. Would it be best to get a puppy cut while it is going through this change? I comb her out twice a day.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
My first instinct would be:
1. She wasn't brushed out before her bath and combed through
2. You rubbed with the towel to dry her some

I usually just got more coat out when brushing (you try not to take any out when brushing) and so bathed more often so my dogs wouldn't matt when they changed coat.

Before a bath, the dog should be totally brushed out. When you shampoo a longer coat, you have to be careful how you work the shampoo in. You don't want to slather it on and just rub. You want to gently work it into the coat and skin, keeping the hair from bunching up. You also can't rub them with a towel. I squeeze the coat out in the tub, then set them on a dry towel and use another to squeeze the water out of the coat.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by JMM@Jun 17 2005, 10:25 AM
You don't want to slather it on and just rub. You want to gently work it into the coat and skin, keeping the hair from bunching up.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=73381
[/QUOTE]

Well, that is where I messed up. I just rubbed it in. I just don't understand why it happened this time and not previously. That has always been the way I've given her a bath.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Jun 17 2005, 11:25 AM
My first instinct would be:
1. She wasn't brushed out before her bath and combed through
2. You rubbed with the towel to dry her some

I usually just got more coat out when brushing (you try not to take any out when brushing) and so bathed more often so my dogs wouldn't matt when they changed coat.

Before a bath, the dog should be totally brushed out. When you shampoo a longer coat, you have to be careful how you work the shampoo in. You don't want to slather it on and just rub. You want to gently work it into the coat and skin, keeping the hair from bunching up. You also can't rub them with a towel. I squeeze the coat out in the tub, then set them on a dry towel and use another to squeeze the water out of the coat.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=73381
[/QUOTE]

I have to say that JMM is right on with his advice.
The only other thing I can think of to tell you.... After I apply the conditioner on Bailey, I always brush him again while the conditioner is still on him. Then I just rinse, rinse, rinse, and then I have a silky, matt free fur baby!

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by GSix@Jun 17 2005, 10:44 AM
After I apply the conditioner on Bailey, I always brush him again while the conditioner is still on him.
Thanks...I will try that next time.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
When do coats change? Lacey is 16 months old and I am noticing a little differene in her coat. She hardly every matts but the last two weeks she has been getting little matts very close to her skin.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Laceys mom@Jun 17 2005, 10:59 AM
When do coats change?  Lacey is 16 months old and I am noticing a little differene in her coat.  She hardly every matts but the last two weeks she has been getting little matts very close to her skin.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=73398
[/QUOTE]

According to JMM:

"Depending on who you ask, the coat changes one to three times. Most people recognize a change from "puppy" to "adult" coat sometime around 9-12 months where matting may become a problem and they seem to get more coat than they should in the brush.

Most of the time a poor puppy coat is not going to drastically improve. If you go to a reputable breeder, they should be familiar with their lines and be able to give you a pretty accurate estimate of what the adult coat will be like. "

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I did talk to my breeder today and she said Lacey is proberly going through a coat change. When Lacey was about 11 months old I did notice a lot of hair in the brush and comb but it didn't last long. Thanks for the replies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts