Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently my breeder has my pup (8 months) on Purina Pro Plan puppy and Pedigree canned mixed in. I am planning to change his food ( I don't like either brands!) and know to gradually mix in the new food with the old for the dry one. But how could I do the same with the canned? I don't plan on keeping him on a canned food just dry. Would it be bad not to feed him the canned at all?
At what age would I change him over to adult formulas? I want to try the Newman's Own brand.
Thank you!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Bella was on those same foods when I got her and I switched her to Flint River Ranch and Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lovers soul. I didn't have a problem getting rid of the canned stuff because Bella didn't like it... I was incredibly lucky. I guess you might try mixing in a little baby food with the puppys new dry food in place of the canned. Just be sure the baby food doesn't have onion powder. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I think around 8 mos or 10 mos, you can change them to adult food. I think I changed over after 10 mos. To start off w/dry food, still do the gradual change, but maybe soften up the dry food with warm water for awhile? Just a suggestion.

ALL THIS TIME AND YOU STILL HAVE NO BABY!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!? LOL

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the replies guys!

I think I won't feed him the canned just the dry and slowly change the foods.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Tyler likes canned, my dad gives him canned food with kibble sometimes, and my mom is against it. When he comes home from my dad's house, he has black poo!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Tyler's Sis@Jun 5 2005, 12:01 PM
Tyler likes canned, my dad gives him canned food with kibble sometimes, and my mom is against it. When he comes home from my dad's house, he has black poo!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69227
[/QUOTE]

Are you sure his poop is black. If it is truly black, it may have blood in it. If it is just dark, then that shouldn't be a problem.

I am so anal that when Kallie was a puppy, her poop was very dark and I thought maybe it was black and had blood in it so from time to time I picked it up with a Kleenex and put it next to something that was black to see if then it really was dark brown instead of actually black ... And it was just dark brown... But heck, there was no other way to tell for sure....

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by MomtwoMaltmuffins+Jun 5 2005, 12:58 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catcher's Mom
@Jun 5 2005, 11:50 AM

I am so anal that when Kallie was a puppy, her poop was very dark and I thought maybe it was black and had blood in it so from time to time I picked it up with a Kleenex and put it next to something that was black to see if then it really was dark brown instead of actually black ... And it was just dark brown... But heck, there was no other way to tell for sure....

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69245

the mental pic I am getting of you inspecting the poop

The things we do for our kids

Joe maybe we should change the name to Maltaholics Anonymous... just kidding
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69251
[/B][/QUOTE]

I know.... I laugh when I think about it!!!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Jun 5 2005, 12:01 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 5 2005, 12:58 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catcher's Mom
@Jun 5 2005, 11:50 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69245

the mental pic I am getting of you inspecting the poop

The things we do for our kids

Joe maybe we should change the name to Maltaholics Anonymous... just kidding
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69251

[/QUOTE]

I know.... I laugh when I think about it!!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69252
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, reminds me of the two days I spent inspecting Brink's poos for that darn red bologna string he ate!
Indeed....the things we will do!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts