Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of any cheap DSL providers? I'm thinking of getting internet at my apartment again. I don't have a phone line so I can't get modem type internet. Cable is just too expensive. I don't use it enough to justify $45 a month. I heard Qwest offers DSL for around $22. I was wondering if there are any cheaper then that. I don't need and email address or a webpage.

Thanks!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Jun 7 2005, 02:45 PM
Anyone know of any cheap DSL providers?  I'm thinking of getting internet at my apartment again.  I don't have a phone line so I can't get modem type internet.  Cable is just too expensive.  I don't use it enough to justify $45 a month.  I heard Qwest offers DSL for around $22.  I was wondering if there are any cheaper then that.  I don't need and email address or a webpage.

Thanks!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70170
[/QUOTE]

You need a phone line for DSL.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by dhodina+Jun 7 2005, 02:46 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@Jun 7 2005, 02:45 PM
Anyone know of any cheap DSL providers?  I'm thinking of getting internet at my apartment again.  I don't have a phone line so I can't get modem type internet.  Cable is just too expensive.  I don't use it enough to justify $45 a month.  I heard Qwest offers DSL for around $22.  I was wondering if there are any cheaper then that.  I don't need and email address or a webpage.

Thanks!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70170

You need a phone line for DSL.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70171
[/B][/QUOTE]
My friend was told that you don't actually have to have the phone hooked up. That is what qwest told her. Qwest told her that she does not need a phone line. They would put in something similar to a phone line. They give you a wireless router she said. They also don't have a house phone. She loves hers.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DANG! DSL is a lot more then I thought it was going to be. A stand-alone (no phone line, use a data line) DSL with MSN service is $49.99. I called them twice and was told 2 different prices for getting DSL without an ISP (have to get one on my own): $28 & $32.

I will have to think about it I will use it enought to justify $50 a month. If it was only like $30 I wouldn't have a problem but $50 just seems like a lot.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Jun 7 2005, 03:37 PM
DANG!  DSL is a lot more then I thought it was going to be.  A stand-alone (no phone line, use a data line) DSL with MSN service is $49.99.  I called them twice and was told 2 different prices for getting DSL without an ISP (have to get one on my own): $28 & $32.

I will have to think about it I will use it enought to justify $50 a month.  If it was only like $30 I wouldn't have a problem but $50 just seems like a lot.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70206
[/QUOTE]

You may want to check specials for cable connection. My cable line was 29.00 a month for the first 12 and then 45 a month after the 12 months. I always thought dsl had to have a phone line thought that is crazy I wish I had known that when I was calling around. I didn't do it because they all said I had to have a phone line and then dsl fee, which like you I thought was way to much.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by dhodina+Jun 7 2005, 03:45 PM-->
@Jun 7 2005, 03:37 PM
DANG!  DSL is a lot more then I thought it was going to be.  A stand-alone (no phone line, use a data line) DSL with MSN service is $49.99.  I called them twice and was told 2 different prices for getting DSL without an ISP (have to get one on my own): $28 & $32.

I will have to think about it I will use it enought to justify $50 a month.  If it was only like $30 I wouldn't have a problem but $50 just seems like a lot.

You may want to check specials for cable connection. My cable line was 29.00 a month for the first 12 and then 45 a month after the 12 months. I always thought dsl had to have a phone line thought that is crazy I wish I had known that when I was calling around. I didn't do it because they all said I had to have a phone line and then dsl fee, which like you I thought was way to much.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70210
[/B][/QUOTE]
Yeah I'm going to call MediaCom and check out the prices. Wonder if you can get a wireless thing for cabel? I have a laptop and when I had cabel before I hated having to sit at the desk in my bedroom. Most of the time when I use my laptop I'm sitting on the couch or in bed.

You can get DSL if you don't have a phone line. They install a data line. DSL is cheaper if you have a phone line also but then you have to pay for the phone line.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Jun 7 2005, 04:37 PM

[/QUOTE]

Do you have cable tv? If so, you may want to go with cable modem. They do usually offer specials... I believe mine has settled in to $39.95 per month but I would go nuts without having a computer at home. I guess it's what you get used to......

·
Registered
608 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Jun 7 2005, 03:51 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 7 2005, 03:45 PM
@Jun 7 2005, 03:37 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70210

[/QUOTE]
Yeah I'm going to call MediaCom and check out the prices. Wonder if you can get a wireless thing for cabel? I have a laptop and when I had cabel before I hated having to sit at the desk in my bedroom. Most of the time when I use my laptop I'm sitting on the couch or in bed.

You can get DSL if you don't have a phone line. They install a data line. DSL is cheaper if you have a phone line also but then you have to pay for the phone line.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70212
[/B][/QUOTE]

We have cable w/ a wireless router. We can have multiple lap tops using it at the same time and my husbands ps2. I can go pretty much anywhere in the house with my laptop.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Jun 7 2005, 04:51 PM
Yeah I'm going to call MediaCom and check out the prices.  Wonder if you can get a wireless thing for cabel?  I have a laptop and when I had cabel before I hated having to sit at the desk in my bedroom.  Most of the time when I use my laptop I'm sitting on the couch or in bed.

You can get DSL if you don't have a phone line.  They install a data line.  DSL is cheaper if you have a phone line also but then you have to pay for the phone line.
[/QUOTE]

I think it depends on your location... my city has wireless cable available but it hasn't been available all that long.....

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Jun 7 2005, 04:07 PM-->
@Jun 7 2005, 04:51 PM
Yeah I'm going to call MediaCom and check out the prices.  Wonder if you can get a wireless thing for cabel?  I have a laptop and when I had cabel before I hated having to sit at the desk in my bedroom.  Most of the time when I use my laptop I'm sitting on the couch or in bed.

You can get DSL if you don't have a phone line.  They install a data line.  DSL is cheaper if you have a phone line also but then you have to pay for the phone line.
I think it depends on your location... my city has wireless cable available but it hasn't been available all that long.....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70216
[/B][/QUOTE]
I just called MediaCom (cable internet). I think I will be going with them. They are running a special right now. You can get 12 months of of internet for $39.95 a month or 12 months of internet and digital box for $39.95. They don't offer wireless but I could get a wireless router and hook it up to it. I just need to price how much the stuff cost. The special runs through the end of the month so I have some time.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I pay 41.95 $ for Time Warner/Earthlink (+ 1.40 $ taxes). This is cable. SBC is running a special for DSL very cheap. I don't think you can have access without an ISP. The line will always come with an ISP. Ex. : SBC/Yahoo - Time Warner/Earthlink (Tw has multiple ISP's), Time Warner/Roadrunner... You don't have to use the mail box if you don't want to. And you don't have to use their software either. I don't use Earthlink's software. But I still pay the same for access.

You can add a wireless router to the cable or dsl modem and go anywhere in your house with your laptop.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went to BestBuy to find out what things I would need to make cabel internet wireless. The guy I talked to told me a wireless router and a wireless card for my laptop. He recommend a router and card that totalled $127. I was like OUCH! Then he told me there were mail in rebates on those two until this Saturday. The rebates total $95! That means I would end up only paying $32 for the router and card!

I would eventually need to get a mini print server to be able to hook my printer to the router but those don't go on sale so I'm going to see if I can find one on the internet for less then $70 (which is what they are a Bestbuy).

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Jun 8 2005, 08:45 AM
I went to BestBuy to find out what things I would need to make cabel internet wireless.  The guy I talked to told me a wireless router and a wireless card for my laptop.  He recommend a router and card that totalled $127.  I was like OUCH!  Then he told me there were mail in rebates on those two until this Saturday.  The rebates total $95!  That means I would end up only paying $32 for the router and card! 

I would eventually need to get a mini print server to be able to hook my printer to the router but those don't go on sale so I'm going to see if I can find one on the internet for less then $70 (which is what they are a Bestbuy).
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70436
[/QUOTE]

Don't you have already a card in your laptop ? Make sure there isn't any before you buy one.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by MalteseJane+Jun 8 2005, 09:45 AM-->
@Jun 8 2005, 08:45 AM
I went to BestBuy to find out what things I would need to make cabel internet wireless.  The guy I talked to told me a wireless router and a wireless card for my laptop.  He recommend a router and card that totalled $127.  I was like OUCH!  Then he told me there were mail in rebates on those two until this Saturday.  The rebates total $95!  That means I would end up only paying $32 for the router and card! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70436
Don't you have already a card in your laptop ? Make sure there isn't any before you buy one.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70467
[/B][/QUOTE]
No I don't have a card. When I got my laptop I was in college and trying to save money. So I only got the ethernet card.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by littlepeanut@Jun 8 2005, 10:38 AM
That's a great deal!!!  Do you have the BestBuy rewards card?  That thing is awesome!!!  It costs $10 for a year, but if you're anything like me, it'll pay for itself in no time

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70506
[/QUOTE]
My mom has one so I just have them look up hers. I need to let her know that I get a few of her $5 coupons! LOL

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by littlepeanut@Jun 8 2005, 10:51 AM
lol, just use them on the wireless router...mom will never have to know j/k

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70516
[/QUOTE]
I already bought the router and card. I could use them on the mini print server but I found I can get the same thing on the internet for like $40 less then bestbuy. Oh, well. Maybe I will save them and use them towards the Lost DVD in Sept.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts