Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking Tyler for his annual check up on Wednesday. He's a year and eight months old. When I got him last year I didn't get any blood tests because I just didn't know but now I want to ask for them. He's totally healthy and no issues (knock on wood) but I think a base line is a good idea. So bile acid test - any particular one or anything I need to ask, and what? Is there a standard panel like us humans get and do I need it?
Also shots. His vet was very good about only giving him one shot at a time and when I'd come back she'd only charge for the shot, not a visit. Last year shots he had were rabies, Parvovirus, Bordetella and I think something marked DA2P (is that distemper?). I want to try to do titers if possible for some. Which? Tyler doesn't go to a groomer with other dogs nor day care but there are dogs everywhere here (elevators, hallways, streets, parks) and I don't know if we need certain shots like parvo, bordetella, because of that. Assuming we need rabies again - I guess it's a booster. What's best for our little ones - one or three year shot?
Thanks. It makes me nervous just thinking of it and of course she'll check his teeth.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
It really depends on the individual dog and their risk level for vaccines. I wouldn't bother with the bordetella. The distemper/parvo is where you have the option for a titer. Keep in mind that the meaning of the titer results depends on who you ask. Some say an immune response (high titer) means immunity for life. Others believe it is a picture of the immunity. The results says what your dog has today and it not to say that your dog's number could not drop tomorrow. Doing annual titers is not because the titer is "good" for a year...just because that's how often most people come in and have been used to giving vaccines.
When my dogs were moderate to high risk for parvo, I booster at a 15-18 months of age and then every 3 after that. If my dog is extremely low risk, I do a titer for sh1ts and giggles knowing I wouldn't booster it anyways.
Rabies must be done according to your state law. You likely will get a 3 year vaccine. Do ask the vet because if they label your certificate 1 year, even though its the same vaccine as the 3 year, you will legally need to booster in 1 year. Be specific!
Other vaccines depend on risk. Roo is at risk for Lepto, so he gets that. Soda has life-threatening vaccine reactions, so we accept risk in his case. My little old man had a DHPP at 18 months and has only had rabies since then. He's extremely low risk. I don't bother with bordetella because I feel it is a worthless vaccine. Since I stopped vaccinating I have not had kennel cough in my home and we do go to dog shows, classes, parks, etc.

I do the bile acid test (pre-meal and 2 hours post-meal - you must have paired samples for the results to be worthwhile) on all of my dogs at a young age - usually 6 months. I think it is essential to know so my dog is not subjected to unnecessary tests later in life as well as letting the breeder know the results. 10 years ago we didn't know that much. I had an adult dog have a bile acid test for some other reason and it was high. The dog ended up being cut open for liver biopsies. He had MVD and has led a perfectly healthy, long life. If I had tested him as a pup and known then what I know now, the surgery never would have happened.
The bile acid test is a 1 time thing. It is not a good monitoring test. Repeating it annually is not helpful.
I have a chemistry panel, electrolytes, complete blood count, and urinalysis performed on my healthy young dogs every year. IF the dog is older (ie my 13 year old) or has health issues, I do this every 6 months or more often if the health issue indicates.
I would much rather focus on wellness testing than loading up on vaccines.
I also do a 3DX or 4DX test annually since we have heartworms and ticks.

So, if it were one of my young dogs currently (who go to classes, shows, and the vet with me daily), they would have a 3 year Rabies, 3 year DHPP, heartworm test, and labwork. The next few years would be just heartworm and labwork until vaccines were do again. Each time the vaccines are do I reassess our risk.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It really depends on the individual dog and their risk level for vaccines. I wouldn't bother with the bordetella. The distemper/parvo is where you have the option for a titer. Keep in mind that the meaning of the titer results depends on who you ask. Some say an immune response (high titer) means immunity for life. Others believe it is a picture of the immunity. The results says what your dog has today and it not to say that your dog's number could not drop tomorrow. Doing annual titers is not because the titer is "good" for a year...just because that's how often most people come in and have been used to giving vaccines.
When my dogs were moderate to high risk for parvo, I booster at a 15-18 months of age and then every 3 after that. If my dog is extremely low risk, I do a titer for sh1ts and giggles knowing I wouldn't booster it anyways.
Rabies must be done according to your state law. You likely will get a 3 year vaccine. Do ask the vet because if they label your certificate 1 year, even though its the same vaccine as the 3 year, you will legally need to booster in 1 year. Be specific!
Other vaccines depend on risk. Roo is at risk for Lepto, so he gets that. Soda has life-threatening vaccine reactions, so we accept risk in his case. My little old man had a DHPP at 18 months and has only had rabies since then. He's extremely low risk. I don't bother with bordetella because I feel it is a worthless vaccine. Since I stopped vaccinating I have not had kennel cough in my home and we do go to dog shows, classes, parks, etc.

I do the bile acid test (pre-meal and 2 hours post-meal - you must have paired samples for the results to be worthwhile) on all of my dogs at a young age - usually 6 months. I think it is essential to know so my dog is not subjected to unnecessary tests later in life as well as letting the breeder know the results. 10 years ago we didn't know that much. I had an adult dog have a bile acid test for some other reason and it was high. The dog ended up being cut open for liver biopsies. He had MVD and has led a perfectly healthy, long life. If I had tested him as a pup and known then what I know now, the surgery never would have happened.
The bile acid test is a 1 time thing. It is not a good monitoring test. Repeating it annually is not helpful.
I have a chemistry panel, electrolytes, complete blood count, and urinalysis performed on my healthy young dogs every year. IF the dog is older (ie my 13 year old) or has health issues, I do this every 6 months or more often if the health issue indicates.
I would much rather focus on wellness testing than loading up on vaccines.
I also do a 3DX or 4DX test annually since we have heartworms and ticks.

So, if it were one of my young dogs currently (who go to classes, shows, and the vet with me daily), they would have a 3 year Rabies, 3 year DHPP, heartworm test, and labwork. The next few years would be just heartworm and labwork until vaccines were do again. Each time the vaccines are do I reassess our risk.
Jackie - thanks so much. You're always so clear and informative in your suggestions. This really helps and I'll discuss the scenarios with my vet. I'm used to doing a titer with my DS who has food allergies. When he was little he had a severe reaction to the MMR vaccine that night. The doc said he might have egg allergy which he did end up being diagnosed for the following year. So we did a titer so that he wouldn't have to get the shot and his immunity was fine and it was accepted at his schools.
Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sue, great advice from Jackie. The link I'm about to post was from Marj. Not sure if you ever saw it. Good luck with everything!!!
xoxoxoxoxoox

A typical blood chemistry panel usually includes
Kerry - thanks. I actually printed a copy of it when Marj posted it and have it in the "Tyler" folder I keep. It just looked a bit daunting. :blink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts