Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,I need to get chew type things for my furbabies to chew on which will help clean their teeth. Jarnah has got shocking teeth and has already had a row of double teeth taken out, but I don't know what to give them to chew on which would help with the teeth cleaning.I have toothbrushes for them,but they all hate it when I try and do them.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Peanut hates to have his teeth brushed too, but I do it anyways
. Also, he just got his teeth cleaned, so since I'm working with perfectly clean teeth, I don't want them to get yucky again.

I bought Petrodex Dental Rinse. You squirt it along their gum line and it's supposed to coat the teeth so food and gook don't get stuck in the teeth. I also got the Petrodex Raw Hide. I usually don't give rawhide, but it's coated with some enzymes that help to clean teeth, and I only give those when I can watch him and I take it away when it starts to get soft enough for him to chew off a chunk of it. And I got this stuff that you add to their drinking water. It says that it changes the ph in their saliva to help keep teeth clean.

I don't know if any of these things work. I haven't used anything yet because he still has stitches in his mouth from his teeth being pulled. It was just so scary for me to have to have him knocked out for teeth cleaning, that I thought maybe I could try to do more to avoid a yearly cleaning.

·
Registered
493 Posts
You can get greenies, or dentabones, or nylabones.... raw bones are quite good.... Abby also detests having her teeth cleaned but I force it once a week and supplement for the remainder of the week with something from the list above.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Sisse gets the greenies (the really small ones) and she gets her teeth done every night. She seems to actually LIKE the Vanilla toothpaste (made for canines) and I let her "chew" on the toothbrush when we were first starting out so she could get use to it on her own terms. Now she chews a little and I brush a little. She is still fighting me some nights.....
It was "Pet Dental Health Month" in February and we were given some lessons in proper tooth care by our Vet Tech!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I don't brush his teeth often
. He hates it...and I forget.

But, he does get the edible nylabones...he only likes the bacon flavored...he also gets greenies, which he only eats in phases (likes them and then doesn't)...and he sometimes gets pig-ears...but I don't know how much they help with the teeth...he he...

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
The Greenies really do help., but i have not bought an other pack since seening that information on the web. Our puppies have never had any issue with them and i always though it out when it get small.

I did find a really good product at the supply store.l

SUZIE'S TARTAR LIQUID
http://www.suziestartarliquid.com/

I have used it for a month now and it is definetly working. Chester had some tartar on his teeth and now it is nearly all gone. It also keeps there breath fresh. It is not harmfull to your puppy.

I just add a very small amount to there drinking water. I noticed a differnce with in two weeks, but I was so using the greenies as well. I thik the Tartar liquid softened up the tartar and the greenies helped remove the residue

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Originally posted by Chelsey@Mar 1 2005, 05:59 PM
The Greenies really do help., but i have not bought an other pack since seening that information on the web.  Our puppies have never had any issue with them  and i always though it out when it get small.

I did find a really good product  at the supply store.l

SUZIE'S TARTAR LIQUID 
http://www.suziestartarliquid.com/

I have used it for a month now and it is definetly working.  Chester had some tartar on his teeth and now it is nearly all gone.  It also keeps there breath fresh.  It is not harmfull to your puppy.

I just add a very small amount to there drinking water.  I noticed a differnce with in two weeks, but I was so using the greenies as well.  I thik the Tartar liquid softened up the tartar and the greenies helped remove the residue
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39065
[/QUOTE]
i wonder if i can find this product locally...the shipping is a little high..i would like to try it though

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i've been doing a quick brush every night....because i hadnt done it in a long time. and they're allowed to chew on bully sticks every night. ellie and gruffi have super white teeth and sprite doesnt chew on anything...so she has tartar.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I think you should be able to. I got mine in a supply store and i think i saw it at persmart but I realy can't rember... but it is deffinetly getting around
so Far i have only giveing it to chester like twice a week if i rember.. and it is really working.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I recently stumbled across the fact that the main ingredient in Greenies is wheat gluten. Since wheat and corn are the two main causes of allergies in dogs, I'm not so sure Greenies are the great things I thought them to be a year ago.

I prefer the petite CET chews which have enzyme action. You can get them through your vet (mine charges $9 for a pack) or from Revival for a lot less. ($4.65)

http://revivalanimal.com/product.asp?pn=86-345

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Mar 2 2005, 08:24 AM
I recently stumbled across the fact that the main ingredient in Greenies is wheat gluten. Since wheat and corn are the two main causes of allergies in dogs, I'm not so sure Greenies are the great things I thought them to be a year ago.

I prefer the petite CET chews which have enzyme action. You can get them through your vet (mine charges $9 for a pack) or from Revival for a lot less. ($4.65)

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39185
[/QUOTE]

I haven't given the CET chews to K & C but Rosebud used to love them. But I did have to watch her closely as I was so afraid she was going to choke on them.. she was a little piggy and she would eat the whole thing up in one day. I used the larger size so they would last longer and I would then throw it away after she got down to a small-ish piece. Maybe I should start on them again... I bet they'd love them.

I have quit using Greenies. I'm just getting a bad feeling about them...

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Mar 2 2005, 12:32 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LadysMom
@Mar 2 2005, 08:24 AM

I haven't given the CET chews to K & C but Rosebud used to love them. But I did have to watch her closely as I was so afraid she was going to choke on them.. she was a little piggy and she would eat the whole thing up in one day. I used the larger size so they would last longer and I would then throw it away after she got down to a small-ish piece. Maybe I should start on them again... I bet they'd love them.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39242
[/B][/QUOTE]

A better solution then greenies I'm for that. I have not bought an other pack since that information on the web. I hope I can get the CET chews at my Vet.
Chester and chelsey Miss thier bones. I got them the nylon flavor ones but they are not as happy about it. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Mar 2 2005, 11:32 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LadysMom
@Mar 2 2005, 08:24 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39242
[/B][/QUOTE]

The petite CET chews are different than the others. They are like particle board - little tiny pieces compressed together so they are easy to chew and don't come apart in one big piece. I think they are pretty safe, much safer than Greenies.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have 3 human toothbrushes (child's size) and I squeeze doggy toothpaste poulty flavor into the brush part making sure it goes right down to the bottom. Then I put them in the freezer for a couple of hours. Once they have hardened I give them to the dogs to chew. They brush their own teeth! works great.

You have to keep a close eye on them chewing the brushes to make sure they don't bite a piece of the toothbrush off. My toothbrushes usually last a month or so. I let my kids chew for about 10 minutes or so.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
What a cute pic!!! That fluff-butt is beautiful!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts