Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys give your pups to chew on? Tucker is a strong chewer and I've been trying to find something that lasts. I used to give him pig ears and those cornstarch dimpled bones and nutrident green toothbrush bones. But all of these things I've stopped giving him because he started biting big chunks at a time and sometimes would throw up big chunks. At least they were big to me. He does have a cow hoof he likes to chew on and doesn't seem to be able to get big chunks off of that. I really don't want to give him rawhide, because I've heard too many bad things. Although, the trainer at PetSmart said if you do buy rawhide, make sure it is compressed rawhide. I did buy him some compressed rawhide sticks, because he needs something to chew. He doesn't seem to get big chunks off of these either, but I'm still not sure they're okay. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Brinkley loves the edible nylabones. His favorite kind is bacon flavored. We get the big wolf size (i think that is what it is called) and he eats on them for awhile.
We call it his "stinky bone"....b/c it stinks when it is wet...

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Kallie is a very strong chewer... she can eat a petite Greenie in about 5 minutes! Needless to say, she doesn't get them any more since she threw up chunks of it. She enjoys the non-edible Nylabones. She's had the same ones for years yet still enjoys them and they are still totally intact! Another favorite is the Nylafloss. This is not the one with cotton strings, but rather this one is made of nylon. She loves this. :

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Greenies made those rubber chew things called Smart Chews. I got some Wally and Toby, however they are much of a chewer, so they weren't really interested.

What about Kongs? Maybe if you pack it really well, it will keep Tucker interested and engaged for awhile.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys...

tlunn...Tuck likes the bacon edible nylabone also, but I've always bought the petite size, maybe I should by the wolf size next time.

K/C mom...I was gonna try the non-edible nylabone, but I was worried that he would still find a way to eat chunks of it. But if Kallie's are still intact, then I will try them. I also was gonna buy the floss rope thing, but I would have to cut the loose ends off, because Tucker eats rope too. I've done that with his other rope toys, just cut the rope off to where the knots are.

Nichole...Tucker does love his Kongs. I stuff them with anything from treats to kibble and peanut butter. But after he eats the stuff out of them, he's done. He never really chews on them. Where did you find the Smart Chews? I may have to try this too.

Thanks all for your input.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by MALITDA@Sep 28 2005, 03:32 PM
Matilda chews on greenies, and bullies, and chicken strips. It takes her a long time to chew anything. I guess I am pretty lucky.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104433
[/QUOTE]
What are chicken strips? I saw something at Wal-Mart the other day. I think it said chicken jerky strips. Is this what you are talking about. I won't give Tucker the greenies anymore because of him throwing up chunks. I've thought about bully sticks. I haven't bought any yet. I saw some at Petsmart for about $13.00 for one that is probably longer than my dog is :lol: . He's worth it of course, but before I pay that much, I want to know it's gonna last for a while. Can't tell you how much money I've spent on stuffed toys, just to have them destuffed and thrown in the garbage within the first hour.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Baxter and Wally also like the unedible Nylabones. they are blue, and have a flavor of somekind. I have tried the edible ones, but they eat them too fast and have loose stools. I'm having trouble finding them lately. I always got the big blue one at Target, but now I've only been able to find the variety pak of small ones. I don't like it as well because it comes with one of the edible, plus a clear one that lasts, but has no flavor, and one small blue one. I bought the starch ones at Petsmart, but they ate them up too fast and had loose stool again. KC, where do you find them?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Baxter and Wally's Mom@Sep 28 2005, 03:45 PM
Baxter and Wally also like the unedible Nylabones. they are blue, and have a flavor of somekind. I have tried the edible ones, but they eat them too fast and have loose stools. I'm having trouble finding them lately. I always got the big  blue one at Target, but now I've only been able to find the variety pak of small ones. I don't like it as well because it comes with one of the edible, plus a clear one that lasts, but has no flavor, and one small blue one. I bought the starch ones at Petsmart, but they ate them up too fast and had loose stool again. KC, where do you find them?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104446
[/QUOTE]
So, you're saying that they actually eat these unedible Nylabones? Is that bad for them or is it okay? Just wondering.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Baxter and Wally's Mom@Sep 28 2005, 04:45 PM
Baxter and Wally also like the unedible Nylabones. they are blue, and have a flavor of somekind. I have tried the edible ones, but they eat them too fast and have loose stools. I'm having trouble finding them lately. I always got the big  blue one at Target, but now I've only been able to find the variety pak of small ones. I don't like it as well because it comes with one of the edible, plus a clear one that lasts, but has no flavor, and one small blue one. I bought the starch ones at Petsmart, but they ate them up too fast and had loose stool again. KC, where do you find them?
[/QUOTE]

I get them at PetsMart in the section by the toys (not in front with the edible Nyla). I believe they come in a 3-pack. I use the flexible ones that taste like chicken. I have some in the Petite size and some in the next size up. Both K & C totally love chewing on them!

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Originally posted by TuckersMom@Sep 28 2005, 03:40 PM
Where did you find the Smart Chews?  I may have to try this too.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104439
[/QUOTE]
I got the Smart Chews online, but you can get them at PetSmart. They are rubber but flavored with watermelon. I don't know if things like that will interest Tucker. They do have a money back guarantee though.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by Nichole+Sep 28 2005, 03:52 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-TuckersMom
@Sep 28 2005, 03:40 PM
Where did you find the Smart Chews?  I may have to try this too.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104439
I got the Smart Chews online, but you can get them at PetSmart. They are rubber but flavored with watermelon. I don't know if things like that will interest Tucker. They do have a money back guarantee though.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104451
[/B][/QUOTE]
Well maybe if I pretended like I was eating it, it would interest him
. Because he always thinks he has to have anything I have. Thanks!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Originally posted by TuckersMom+Sep 28 2005, 03:48 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Baxter and Wally's Mom
@Sep 28 2005, 03:45 PM
So, you're saying that they actually eat these unedible Nylabones? Is that bad for them or is it okay? Just wondering.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104448
[/B][/QUOTE]
Yes, they are OK for them. I wouldn't say they eat them, but they chew on them and do ingest bits, but it takes months for them to get small enough and I throw them out.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Sep 28 2005, 03:51 PM-->
@Sep 28 2005, 04:45 PM
I get them at PetsMart in the section by the toys (not in front with the edible Nyla). I believe they come in a 3-pack. I use the flexible ones that taste like chicken. I have some in the Petite size and some in the next size up. Both K & C totally love chewing on them!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104450
[/B][/QUOTE]
Thanks, I'll have to look for the chicken. Have you seen the blue ones where you live?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by Baxter and Wally's Mom+Sep 28 2005, 04:04 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 28 2005, 03:48 PM
@Sep 28 2005, 03:45 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104448

[/QUOTE]
Yes, they are OK for them. I wouldn't say they eat them, but they chew on them and do ingest bits, but it takes months for them to get small enough and I throw them out.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104456
[/B][/QUOTE]
Oh, okay...thanks. I think I'll try to find some for Tucker. He used to do that with the dimpled bones. I think they were called gnarly bones or something like that. I got em at Wal-Mart. He would chew on one forever before it got small and I would throw it away. Then all of a sudden, he would eat it in one day...or more like one hour. I was worried that this may be bad, so I stopped giving them to him.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went to Petsmart at lunch and bought some things for Tucker. I got a 2-pack of Nylabone Durable chews (it says designed for powerful chewers). I got the watermelon Greenie Smart Chew and a Bully Spring dog treat. Also got another cow hoof and a couple of new toys. I can't wait to get home and put em to the "Tucker Test", and see how long they last. :lol: I love shopping for him. I think I like shopping for him more than shopping for myself. Maybe it's because he's so easy to please, LOL. Well, just thought I'd let you guys know what I got for him.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by Nichole+Sep 29 2005, 02:26 PM-->
Sounds like Tucker is all set.  Good Luck!  I hope you bought something he really takes a liking to! 

<!--QuoteBegin-TuckersMom
@Sep 29 2005, 01:29 PM
I think I like shopping for him more than shopping for myself.   <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104705
That is exactly how I feel! :lol:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104718
[/B][/QUOTE]
Now that I would definitely agree with...I saw your post with Toby's wardrobe, LOL. He is absolutely adorable, by the way (even in the purple fuzzy sweater
).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.