Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crazy thing on Saturday. BF said Phoebe was chewing something on the livingroom rug and (lucky for him) he checked her mouth (its a rule). In it he said was a big one of those like queen bees! The big ones! He said she didnt kill it, and it didnt sting her, but what if it had? I asked him right away if he knew that she was stung he would call the vet asap, right? Right? :D If she would get stung on her tongue I'd be afraid it could swell and cut off her air maybe. Anyone? Also maybe they would have me give her benadryl or something just in case.

Thankfully it didnt happen, but jee, this girl will not hesitate to eat anything!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by Holliberry@Apr 11 2005, 03:13 PM
Crazy thing on Saturday.  BF said Phoebe was chewing something on the livingroom rug and (lucky for him) he checked her mouth (its a rule).  In it he said was a big one of those like queen bees!  The big ones!  He said she didnt kill it, and it didnt sting her, but what if it had?  I asked him right away if he knew that she was stung he would call the vet asap, right?  Right?  :D  If she would get stung on her tongue I'd be afraid it could swell and cut off her air maybe.  Anyone?  Also maybe they would have me give her benadryl or something just in case.

Thankfully it didnt happen, but jee, this girl will not hesitate to eat anything! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51472
[/QUOTE]

For your doggy first aid kit, ask your vet if it is ok to give your dog benadryl in a case like this and, if so keep the dose and some benadryl in the first aid kit. I've known a few dogs that ate bees without a problem. You are right to watch for swelling or distress and off to the vet if so. They'd give benadryl and a steroid injection and maybe watch her for a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,319 Posts
Miko was stung by a bee a few months ago (right on top of his little nose)! Although I flicked the bee off, the stinger was stuck in his nose. I panicked and took him to the emergency vet. They gave him benadryl and a cortisone shot (which was optional but if he did end up having a reaction, then it would help). The whole visit was $130 but our pet insurance covered it!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,004 Posts
I'm glad Phoebe did not get hurt or stung. How did your husband get it out of her mouth it if was not dead yet. I wounder how your puppy caught it .
That's scary.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top