Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed over the last 2 weeks or so that Lexi has been chewing on her feet more often. They are starting to stain, so I think she is chewing on the more that I have noticed. Does anyone know why she would be doing this? Could it be allergies?

She has been on the same food for problem 6-8 weeks. I am have just started (last night) to given her some new food (Innova). My neighbor that does rescue work said it is probably allergies (maybe corn) and that the Innova is really good and should help.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called my vet and they said that it was probably seasonal allergies. They said to give her 1/2 a children's Benadryl 2-3 times a day as needed. They recommended doing it for a few days and then after that just do it when I notice her chewing on her feet. Has anyone else's puppy done this?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feel bad because I have noticed that she has had dirty looking feet for about the last 2 weeks but I thought it was just dirt from outside.
It didn't dawn on me until last night that it is probably from her chewing on them. And that if she was chewing on them enought to stain all 4 feet it was probably not normal. A coworker's parents' Maltese does this and he said that I should only have to give her 1/2 a Benadryl once a day and it will knock her out. I am going to get the Benadryl at lunch but wait till tonight to give it to her. I want to be there after I give it to her just in case something would happen.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Tuffy is a foot chewer too, sometimes I think he does it for recreation, but sometimes it's allergies. He doesn't go outside very often but I guess it's just enough to bother him. I took him to the vet a couple of months ago and they said he has allergies and this is a bad time of the year for them. They gave me some medication for him and I only give it to him if he really seems to be sneezing or chewing a lot, which luckily, hasn't happened a lot lately. I hope the Benedryl works for Lexi.

J

·
0 Posts
I have noticed that Lacey will chew on her feet if they are dirty, especially if they have pee on them. If her pee pad gets too wet and she walks on it I have noticed that she chews on her feet. If I keep her piddle pad clean and dry (change after two pees) she doesn't chew on her feet. Don't know if this will help or not but this is my experience with chewing on feet.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I've notice that Maya also chews her paws sometimes. This morning she was either biting her nails or chewing her paw. she also used to rubs her head (by her ears) along the bed all the way around it so I change her food to one that contains no soy, no corn, and no wheat and it has improved her allergies now she doesnt rub her head that much anymore.
when I get home I will ck on her paws.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Zoe occasionally chews on her back foot as well. The vet checked it out and said that it didn't look like there was any problem with it and that I should watch for a pattern to find out why she chews. When she does it it seems like she's just doing it for fun...as if her foot were a Nylabone or something
I always just tell her NO BITE when she does this but, still, it is a little disconcerting
Luckily she has been doing it less and less...who knows, could be allergies I guess.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
hey! Someone told me that Maltese tend to have alot of cat-like qualities and, I guess, chewing on their feet is one of the characteristics. I notice both of my dogs doing it. Their bag of eukabana(sp.?) is almost up and I'm going to try Bil-Jac's next. I think it's more expensive than other brands, but if it's not good, then I'll return it. I'll try to pay attention to whether or not they still chew on their feet. I really thought it was something they do for fun. Who knew it would be allergies. I mean, WE don't chew on our feet when we have allergies! hahaha

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
If you go to the Bil-Jac website, you can get a coupon for $5 off.[/B]
Thanks. I love how helpful you guys are

·
Registered
260 Posts
Kristi
My husband just told me that a vet on TV last week stated that when dogs chew on their feet it is due to summertime allergies. So, the Benadryl should do the trick.
Good luck
Pam/Sassi

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have not tried the Benadryl yet because Lexi seems to be doing ok. I have not noticed her chewing on her feet in a couple of days. I am going to hold off because I don't want to give her the meds unless she really needs them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts