Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I know a bunch of you out there love Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul. I started Jack on the Adult kibble about 2 weeks ago and he loves it. I had switched him from Puppy Science Diet to Adult Nutro Max but changed again after only 2 days. It caused horrible tearstains in just those 2 days. I then switched him to the Chicken Soup which he loves. However, he was just groomed this morning and already I am starting to see some new staining. He only drinks distilled water and no new treats. He has never had a problem with staining before.

Does anyone out there have tearstains from using the Adult kibble? I can't imagine what ingredient that is in it that could cause staining since it is all natural. Can anyone recommend a food that will not stain? YOu folks are all so knowledgeable about these things and I truly trust your imput. Thanks so much for all the anticipated replys!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by Jack@May 20 2005, 03:40 PM
Hi there.  I know a bunch of you out there love Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul.  I started Jack on the Adult kibble about 2 weeks ago and he loves it.  I had switched him from Puppy Science Diet to Adult Nutro Max but changed again after only 2 days.  It caused horrible tearstains in just those 2 days.  I then switched him to the Chicken Soup which he loves.  However, he was just groomed this morning and already I am starting to see some new staining.  He only drinks distilled water and no new treats.  He has never had a problem with staining before.

Does anyone out there have tearstains from using the Adult kibble?  I can't imagine what ingredient that is in it that could cause staining since it is all natural.  Can anyone recommend a food that will not stain?  YOu folks are all so knowledgeable about these things and I truly trust your imput.  Thanks so much for all the anticipated replys!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63891
[/QUOTE]

I have posted about this before and yes, in my dog, Chicken Soup food did cause tearstains. Its a great food, but I have pictures with him on the food and with tearstains and now that he is off the food he only gets eye booger - no tearstains at all.

Although I wouldn't necessarily recommend this food, but Miko is eating Natural Balance (lower calorie for both weight and lower protein purposes). He loves it and no tearstains
Prior to the Chicken Soup, he was eating Science Diet (because I didn't know better) and he had extremely minimal tear stains nothing like on the Chicken Soup.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by okw+May 20 2005, 05:50 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Jack
@May 20 2005, 03:40 PM
Hi there.  I know a bunch of you out there love Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul.  I started Jack on the Adult kibble about 2 weeks ago and he loves it.  I had switched him from Puppy Science Diet to Adult Nutro Max but changed again after only 2 days.  It caused horrible tearstains in just those 2 days.  I then switched him to the Chicken Soup which he loves.  However, he was just groomed this morning and already I am starting to see some new staining.  He only drinks distilled water and no new treats.  He has never had a problem with staining before.

Does anyone out there have tearstains from using the Adult kibble?  I can't imagine what ingredient that is in it that could cause staining since it is all natural.  Can anyone recommend a food that will not stain?  YOu folks are all so knowledgeable about these things and I truly trust your imput.  Thanks so much for all the anticipated replys!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63891
I have posted about this before and yes, in my dog, Chicken Soup food did cause tearstains. Its a great food, but I have pictures with him on the food and with tearstains and now that he is off the food he only gets eye booger - no tearstains at all.

Although I wouldn't necessarily recommend this food, but Miko is eating Natural Balance (lower calorie for both weight and lower protein purposes). He loves it and no tearstains
Prior to the Chicken Soup, he was eating Science Diet (because I didn't know better) and he had extremely minimal tear stains nothing like on the Chicken Soup.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63892
[/B][/QUOTE]

So funny. Miko is the doggie on that most closely resembles Jack. I think I have asked you in the past who his breeder was. I will try to post a picture as soon as I figure out how! LOL! Anyway...maybe I will switch again after I finish this small bag. I know it is only a cosmetic issue, but I hate to see his face stained now, especially since he has never had a problem before. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I completely understand about the cosmetic issue bothering you
. Miko came from a backyard breeder in Sunland (a guy named Pete) so I doubt that's where your Jack is from!! You should post a picture of Jack, we would all love to see it.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I can't tell that Brink's are any different (better or worse) based on food.
He is on Chicken Soup, but he has also had Science Diet, Purina Pro Plan, and Royal Canin Holistic Blend. I could never tell that foods made that much difference, and Chicken Soup is the only one he seemed to like.
I know Brink's tears and stains are worse right now-and I am assuming it is because of some seasonal allergies. We have 2 huge pecan trees in our yard that are loosing their fuzzy strings...the pollen from those drives me and my son NUTS! I think Brink is a little sensitive to it also.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Izzy is on Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover. She doesn't seem to have any usual staining, she's in the process of teething and that seems to cause a bit more but before that she didn't stain much at all. Is there a reason that you can't keep your maltese on the puppy food forever? From what I'm reading, it's the adult food and not the puppy food that is causing the staining?????

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Tuffy's on Flint River which is another all natural holistic food and he has been having some problems with tear staining ever since he started on it. It's bizarre that he had almost not staining when he was on Science Diet which is full of yucky stuff and then started to get it now as an adult on a natural food.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by 20202@May 20 2005, 08:59 PM
Izzy is on Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover.  She doesn't seem to have any usual staining, she's in the process of teething and that seems to cause a bit more but before that she didn't stain much at all.  Is there a reason that you can't keep your maltese on the puppy food forever?  From what I'm reading, it's the adult food and not the puppy food that is causing the staining?????
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63941
[/QUOTE]

Brinkley's really didn't change from the puppy to the adult. I couldn't really tell a difference.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
It proubly just depends on the dog, Sunny had awful tearstaining when he was eating science diet (like I was almost gonna take him to the vet to make sure nothing was wrong) but like Mystify said Tuffy had no staining eating science diet.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Originally posted by Mystify79@May 20 2005, 07:34 PM
Tuffy's on Flint River which is another all natural holistic food and he has been having some problems with tear staining ever since he started on it.  It's bizarre that he had almost not staining when he was on Science Diet which is full of yucky stuff and then started to get it now as an adult on a natural food. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63955
[/QUOTE]
oh i love all your pictures too cute
if you have any advise on how to post pic in post i would really
like some help i can only get one up at a time
thanks

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Oh no, mine have always been on chicken soup and so although I dont do everything in my power to get rid of Maya's tear stains (she hates being brushed and washed by her eyes more than once a day) I wonder if we switched foods if it would make a difference. I just hate to take them off of a food they like since these small breeds are so picky. I might try another food. Has anyone heard of Artemis? There is also a brand at petsmart now called BLUE buffalo. We brought home the Innova EVO and they didnt like it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by okw@May 20 2005, 07:19 PM
I completely understand about the cosmetic issue bothering you
.  Miko came from a backyard breeder in Sunland (a guy named Pete) so I doubt that's where your Jack is from!!  You should post a picture of Jack, we would all love to see it.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63902
[/QUOTE]

Yes, I will try to post a picture tonight. He just got all his hair cut off yesterday! You forget how small these babies really are until they get a haircut! LOL!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by 20202@May 20 2005, 08:59 PM
Izzy is on Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover.  She doesn't seem to have any usual staining, she's in the process of teething and that seems to cause a bit more but before that she didn't stain much at all.  Is there a reason that you can't keep your maltese on the puppy food forever?  From what I'm reading, it's the adult food and not the puppy food that is causing the staining?????
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63941
[/QUOTE]

The reason most dogs switch from Puppy to Adult food is because the puppy food is just too fattening, from what I have been told.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by Mystify79@May 20 2005, 09:34 PM
Tuffy's on Flint River which is another all natural holistic food and he has been having some problems with tear staining ever since he started on it.  It's bizarre that he had almost not staining when he was on Science Diet which is full of yucky stuff and then started to get it now as an adult on a natural food. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63955
[/QUOTE]

Yes, Jack had no staining on Science Diet either. But now that I know are the yucky things that are in it, I would feel too guilty keeping him on it for any reason. I just was hoping to find a holistic food that doesn't cause staining. It's seems you can't always have your cake and eat it too when it comes to certain things. Oh well.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Originally posted by BrookeB676@May 21 2005, 09:49 AM
Oh no, mine have always been on chicken soup and so although I dont do everything in my power to get rid of Maya's tear stains (she hates being brushed and washed by her eyes more than once a day) I wonder if we switched foods if it would make a difference. I just hate to take them off of a food they like since these small breeds are so picky. I might try another food. Has anyone heard of Artemis? There is also a brand at petsmart now called BLUE buffalo. We brought home the Innova EVO and they didnt like it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=64074
[/QUOTE]
We use the Blue Buffalo. I tried the Chicken Soup I think Summer scratched alot more on it just took her off the other day went back to the Blue i wish the kibbles were smaller i mix it with chicken or hard boiled eggs and cottage cheese I think her tears were worse on the chicken soup too.. trail and error were findind that out fast

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'm so paranoid now. Izzy doesn't seem to have much staining and she's on the chicken soup but like I said, what if I switch to the adult formula? And now scratching?

Must remember: if it's not broken do not fix it, if it's not broken do not fix it, if it's not broken do not fix it, if it's not broken do not fix it, if it's not broken do not fix it, if it's not broken do not fix it,.............

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I to tried the Chicken Soup for Dogs, Lacey wouldn't touch it. I have her on the Natural Balance dry kibble. She eats it pretty good. I have noticed that I am suppose to feed her up to a cup a day but it takes her two days to eat that. Lately she has been eating lots of fruit so she isn't eating as much dry kibble. Starting to look into home cooking for her but need to find some good books on the subject. I do put fish oil on top of her food. Read on here that it is good for them.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
i think i'm lucky in the respect that the buttercup will eat pretty much anything i put in front of her. i bet if i put a big bowl of rocks down and said "here's your dinner!" she'd try to eat 'em. (i keep saying, "she may not be bright, but she's PRETTY!")

her staining wasnt food related, i dont think. it pretty much cleared up at about 18mos. she only stains minimally now if there's a change of season. and even then, not for long. today, i got her a new bag of chicken soup, as well as nature's recipe for toy breeds (which was AWFULLY HARD to find in atlanta, and i almost did a dance in petsmart when i saw it up here LOL). she gets a mix of kibble because sometimes when she goes thru her "self imposed fastings" she will eventually eat ONE type of kibble or another.

she's getting quirky and peculiar in her old age. just like her mommy. LOLOLOL

ann marie and the "hey! who you callin' quirky????" buttercup

1 - 18 of 18 Posts