Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to think that this food has caused Bailey to have tear stains because before I switched foods, he never stained.. even during his teething stage. I was just wondering if any of you used this food and if so, did it cause tear staining on your furbaby? I should have left well enough alone and kept him on the Innova Puppy Food but he was starting to turn his nose up at it and I wanted to try something different. If any of you can recommend another type of food, I would appreciate it.
Thanks.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I have not noticed a difference in tearing/staining with any foods. Brink has gotten better as he has gotten older, but still stains some. He started on Science Diet, then Purina Pro Plan, then Royal Canin Holistic, and finally Chicken Soup. This is the only one he seems to really eat b/c he likes it...so we are sticking with it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Izzy is on the puppy chicken soup and she doesn't have any unusual tear staining. I think someone here said it's the adult Chicken soup that started their dog to have tear stains.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys. Maybe it isn't the food... I'm not sure. I hope he isn't developing allergies,
that's all I need. I am new to this tear staining stuff and I have just been cleaning his eyes everyday with those little cleaning pads...but they don't seem to be helping. I read a post the other day about using Efferdent for dentures on his stains... maybe I will try that!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I know I am a minority here with this opinion, but YES, Chicken soup made my doggie tear stain. Now that he has been off of it for a while, he has NO tear staining at all. Its a great food but there are other foods out there and it didn't seem to be the best one for us.

PS. We are using Natural Balance now. Its not that great of a food, but my baby loves it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by okw@Jun 25 2005, 02:47 PM
I know I am a minority here with this opinion, but YES, Chicken soup made my doggie tear stain.  Now that he has been off of it for a while, he has NO tear staining at all.  Its a great food but there are other foods out there and it didn't seem to be the best one for us.

PS.  We are using Natural Balance now.  Its not that great of a food, but my baby loves it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=75102
[/QUOTE]

I swear I think it is the food that is causing his tear staining!
How can I not blame the food when his eyes were perfect all along until he was on this food for about a week and a half? I am glad that you replied to my post.. now I believe more than ever that it is the food. Well... now I have to find something else...
Like I said before, he is tired of the Innova so... back to the drawing board!!! Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Abbey has been on chicken soup since we brought her home at 12 wks. No tearstaining here! I am alittle afraid of switching to Chicken soup adult food, however but I guess I'll have to try it before I knock it!
Maybe your little one is just allergic to something in it that others are not ?

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Abbey has been on chicken soup since we brought her home at 12 wks. No tearstaining here! I am alittle afraid of switching to Chicken soup adult food, however but I guess I'll have to try it before I knock it!
Maybe your little one is just allergic to something in it that others are not ?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't know about the Puppy version, but as far as the adult food, the answer is YES YES and YES again. Jack never had any staining before this food. However, he loves it!!!!!! My husband also made the mistake of buying the jumbo sized bag!!!! Anyway, I may consider switching again after this bag is empty. I do feel good knowing that it is an awesome food!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts