Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay you are all going to think I am totally nuts now but...
I was watching a Tivo'd episode of "Knitty Gritty" today, as I learned to knit about a month ago and I am totally addicted! I have been knitting a shawl and the yarn I am using is so soft, thin and feels like Rex. Anyway it was an episode on spinning yarn. I thought, boring! I was wrong, it showed you how to make a simple spinner with a dowel and old cd's. At the end, she said she had a roommate in college who had a dog and she spun the hair into yarn, dyed it and made a purse out of it! I thought....hmmm? That sounds cool or sick...not sure, but we do use hair from sheep and other animals for yarn. I looked it up on eBay and sure enough, people are selling dog hair, I dont want just any dog hair. It is best if brushed, not cut off. So I found this article as well Using Your Dogs Hair
Has anyone done this? Would you? It would take a long time (possible years if you just used brushed hair, instead of yearly cut hair), but it would make a very sentimental scarf.
Okay there goes my senseless rambling! :new_Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
831 Posts
I've heard about people doing this with their dog hair. I think is an awsome idea to collect your dogs hair and make it into something you can keep forever

I would do it

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I followed the link on the one website to Roverscomb and there is a lady that will spin it and wash it for you. If you fill a large envelope she will do a sample for $5.00! Rex's still doesnt have much hair, but I am sure it would add up if I save it after every brushing!

I was reading further and they will even make something for you out of the hair!

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
I've heard of it too. I think it is awesome! However, the big drawback is the price. I think in order to get enough yarn to make a scarf, it came to something like $180! That is just the yarn, then you have to knit it!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i started saving the girls hair....but after around 6 months my mom threw it away saying that it was "going bad".

so i have to start all over. maybe i'll keep it in the fridge next time.

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
I have heard of this but do not know anyone who has actually done it.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Has anyone looked at the examples on that Roverscomb website? You can get a paw shaped ornament made for $20 which includes the spinning I think. The stuff shown looks pretty cool. It is $9 an ounce to have spun and takes about 4 ounces for most of there projects or you can pay them to do it. I think I will have it spun the first time and after that I may spin it myself if I like it.
They say to store it in a paper bag.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts