Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just lately I have noticed that if Scooby doesn't get his way he does the funniest things.
An example of this was this morning, he knows the rules. First thing in the morning it is out to go potty, then he comes in and sits with daddy in the recliner and is given his vitamins for his joints. Once this is eaten he is given his morning treat of a nutri dent greenie. He knows the routine and the last couple of days he has insisted on leaving the vitamin and begging for the treat, which by the way doesn't come out till the vitamin is gone.
This morning, he flatly refused to take his vitamin, so I had to get tough and tell him no treat till that is gone. Well he turned his back on me and woudn't look at me or the pill and let out a little growl. Now I know he knows exactly what I say and I said if you don't eat that you get off daddy's chair and no treat. Well he turned himself around and plopped down in potest, just like a child who didn't get his own way and ate the pill.
He also has a habit of standing on daddy's leg and checking out what's on the side table. I tell him to get off daddy's leg, we both do actually but he never listens to daddy, well he just stood there in defiance till I started to head over to him and again he plopped down on the chair in protest with his back to both of us and did the big sigh.
I am wondering if anyone else has such a funny little character.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
yup... all the time...

Kodie will pout (is that spelled right.. it doesnt look right to me) if he doesnt get his way. People think that Kodie doesnt know what i'm saying... but you know what... HE understands EVERY word I say. I think the child behavior could be because we spoil kodie too much...

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Kodie@Jul 22 2005, 09:50 AM
yup... all the time...

Kodie will pout (is that spelled right.. it doesnt look right to me) if he doesnt get his way.   People think that Kodie doesnt know what i'm saying... but you know what... HE understands EVERY word I say.  I think the child behavior could be because we spoil kodie too much... 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=83558
[/QUOTE]

I think you are absolutely correct on both points, they do know everything we say and they are spoiled rotten, but they are our little babies and spoiling them is part of the fun, at least that is what I reckon anyway. You got the pout right and Scooby is an expert on that little trick. He is so funny, when he sees daddy heading for his recliner he will run like mad to find a partial uneaten treat and pick it up and run to the recliner and wait for daddy to get there. Sometimes daddy will pretend to walk past his chair just in fun and Scooby will throw the treat down on the floor in protest and give him a real pouting look, it is so funny to watch. Like today he is due to go to the groomer and we tell him in the morning that if he is a good boy he will go see Myrna, well that is the beginning of his pestering till he gets his harness on and is actually on his way there. He adores his groomer, and she always calls the night before to confirm his appointment. We tell him that was her and he just runs around like an excited little kid because he does know exactly what is being said.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Originally posted by Scoobydoo@Jul 22 2005, 08:27 AM
Just lately I have noticed that if Scooby doesn't get his way he does the funniest things.
An example of this was this morning, he knows the rules. First thing in the morning it is out to go potty, then he comes in and sits with daddy in the recliner and is given his vitamins for his joints. Once this is eaten he is given his morning treat of a nutri dent greenie. He knows the routine and the last couple of days he has insisted on leaving the vitamin and begging for the treat, which by the way doesn't come out till the vitamin is gone.
This morning, he flatly refused to take his vitamin, so I had to get tough and tell him no treat till that is gone. Well he turned his back on me and woudn't look at me or the pill and let out a little growl. Now I know he knows exactly what I say and I said if you don't eat that you get off daddy's chair and no treat. Well he turned himself around and plopped down in potest, just like a child who didn't get his own way and ate the pill.
He also has a habit of standing on daddy's leg and checking out what's on the side table. I tell him to get off daddy's leg, we both do actually but he never listens to daddy, well he just stood there in defiance till I started to head over to him and again he plopped down on the chair in protest with his back to both of us and did the big sigh.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=83553
[/QUOTE]
Dixie does the same thing. I can't seem to get her used to a collar or having her hair up. If she has anything on she just throws herself down and mopes. Won't stop until we remove the offending article. i have tried to out will her. one time this went on for two full days. Soon as it came off, she was running and playing like usual. Ok, so how should i handle this? She needs to wear a collar, and i would like for her to learn to have her hair up [and wear pretty clothes
Should I just leave things on and out wait her mopeing???????? ideas please........

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Fach+Jul 22 2005, 10:08 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Scoobydoo
@Jul 22 2005, 08:27 AM
Dixie does the same thing. I can't seem to get her used to a collar or having her hair up. If she has anything on she just throws herself down and mopes. Won't stop until we remove the offending article. i have tried to out will her. one time this went on for two full days. Soon as it came off, she was running and playing like usual. Ok, so how should i handle this? She needs to wear a collar, and i would like for her to learn to have her hair up [and wear pretty clothes
Should I just leave things on and out wait her mopeing???????? ideas please........
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=83566
[/B][/QUOTE]

Well I have found that leaving things on for longer times each time they tend to get used to them. With Scooby's collar when he was tiny we just put it on and left it there. He protested profusely at first but soon forgot it was there.
The one thing that we couldn't get him to wear was his boots. We tried on a number of occasions to get him to accept them but to no evail.
He loves his walk so we thought we would put them on and just take him around the block. Well he walked about as far as the neighbor's driveway then began to limp like he had sore foot. I thought gee maybe he has a sore foot and can't continue his walk, anyways we kept going for a while and he sat down and held his front paw up like it was sore. That was it I took off his boots and turned around to come back home, well that little stinker ran off to the full extent of his retractable leash jumping for joy, not a thing wrong with his paw I might add, just a ploy to get those boots off. We did give up on the idea so he won that one.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Originally posted by Scoobydoo+Jul 22 2005, 09:36 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 22 2005, 10:08 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Scoobydoo
@Jul 22 2005, 08:27 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=83566

[/QUOTE]

Well I have found that leaving things on for longer times each time they tend to get used to them. With Scooby's collar when he was tiny we just put it on and left it there. He protested profusely at first but soon forgot it was there.
The one thing that we couldn't get him to wear was his boots. We tried on a number of occasions to get him to accept them but to no evail.
He loves his walk so we thought we would put them on and just take him around the block. Well he walked about as far as the neighbor's driveway then began to limp like he had sore foot. I thought gee maybe he has a sore foot and can't continue his walk, anyways we kept going for a while and he sat down and held his front paw up like it was sore. That was it I took off his boots and turned around to come back home, well that little stinker ran off to the full extent of his retractable leash jumping for joy, not a thing wrong with his paw I might add, just a ploy to get those boots off. We did give up on the idea so he won that one.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=83571
[/B][/QUOTE]
Thanks. That is very helpful. I guess i have to wonder who is training whom in this house, huh?
I'll stand my ground. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
It's weird because Peanut totally acts like a little kid but Tic is 100% dog. Peanut had to take a liquid med before and I didn't even think to get a dropper, so I tried to feed it with a spoon and he clenched his teeth, closed his lips tight and turned his head away. and the little booger actually used his paw to lightly push my hand away. I swear it's the same way when I give my bf's daughter cough syrup
Peanut is also very vocal with sighs and little 'i don't wanna' grunts.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by littlepeanut@Jul 22 2005, 01:30 PM
It's weird because Peanut totally acts like a little kid but Tic is 100% dog.  Peanut had to take a liquid med before and I didn't even think to get a dropper, so I tried to feed it with a spoon and he clenched his teeth, closed his lips tight and turned his head away.  and the little booger actually used his paw to lightly push my hand away.  I swear it's the same way when I give my bf's daughter cough syrup
  Peanut is also very vocal with sighs and little 'i don't wanna' grunts.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=83633
[/QUOTE]

Oh yes and don't forget the little snorts too. I have noticed these traits are becoming more predominant as Scooby gets older. Another thing he did yesterday was we were coming back from the cities and he was in his car seat with his window down, and he loves to have that down to sniff the air, well when we get out on the interstate we normally close it so he doesn't get his ears blown off, and lo and behold he did the tanturm huff and snort and threw himself down in his seat so hard it bounced. We laughed so hard at that one.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I can imagine Scooby taking his little fit in the car
Sounds like Scooby has lots and lots of personality!! I love it! If these things do increase with age, I'm in for lots of laughs with Peanut. :D

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by littlepeanut@Jul 22 2005, 01:56 PM
I can imagine Scooby taking his little fit in the car
  Sounds like Scooby has lots and lots of personality!!  I love it!  If these things do increase with age, I'm in for lots of laughs with Peanut. :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=83643
[/QUOTE]

Yes you are and the older they seem to get the wiser they are and Scooby isn't 2 yet so we are in for a lot of kiddy tantrums. The thing I find with Scooby is he has a very good memory and if we make a promise he never lets us forget, like this morning he knew he was going to see the groomer and he was extra silly all morning till it was time to go. Of course daddy kept reminding him and telling him to go tell mom to get you ready so I suffered the most. He knows I am mom and daddy is daddy and we can play that game with him like go tell daddy and off he goes and tells daddy with a woof, then hubby sends him back to me with a message and he does everything we tell him. I think the whole thing is we are with him 24/7 and we talk to him like he is a little child and he listens and recognizes everything we say. Sometimes that is a good thing and yet it can be bad now because we have to spell a lot or he hears something like if we are discussing going somewhere and gets so excited and thinks he is going for a ride.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
These stories are so funny! Phoebe is a little terror when it comes to picking up and chewing things outside. She still, at the ripe old age of not-quite-9-months, has to pick up everything in her mouth, even though she knows I dont want her to. She will eye something, look at me, run as fast as she can to get it (yes, even my lone flower that I had managed to protect from her for weeks), rip it up, turn around to me with it hanging out of her mouth, squat down, wiggle her tail, then bolt as fast as lightening away from me. Always always always something in this girl's mouth. Shes a nut!

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by Tyler's Sis@Jul 22 2005, 03:06 PM
I don't know, when tyler growls, he is VICIOUS. He bites when he has a chicken strip.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=83682
[/QUOTE]

Scooby has been a growler all his life. He growls if someone other than us picks him up, yet his little tail is wagging madly. He growls if I try to take him off his daddy's recliner, but never has he ever tried to bite anyone. Apparently his mother was exactly the same and I think it is just his way of communicating, or his way of protesting if he doesn't want to do something. Lately it has been more of the big sigh and the snort along with the flop down with his back turned. I have to say we do get a huge laugh from it too

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh yes the look, isn't it amazing how these little furkids talk with their eyes? I am beginning to think the characteristics we are experiencing are unique to the Maltese. They are so very expressive of their many moods, don't you think?

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by Scoobydoo@Jul 22 2005, 03:20 PM
Scooby has been a growler all his life. He growls if someone other than us picks him up, yet his little tail is wagging madly. He growls if I try to take him off his daddy's recliner, but never has he ever tried to bite anyone. Apparently his mother was exactly the same and I think it is just his way of communicating, or his way of protesting if he doesn't want to do something.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=83691
[/QUOTE]
Peanut does the exact same thing. Lots of people are turned off by the friendly growling, but I agree with you. He's just trying to talk. He does have a 'back off' growl but he almost never does that. When he get's excited he makes growling sounds, but when Tic's excited he makes yappy sounds. I prefer the growl b/c the yapping is a little too high pitched for me

Peanut gives me the evil eye when he see's the nail clippers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts