Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was a scare!

Yesterday when Chilly and I were going for a walk he (as usual) was sniffing everything in sight. He got a white paper bag and he carried it in his mouth. I picked him up and tried to get him to drop it. He wouldn't so I tugged it a little and the bag ripped and he got a piece and devoured it SO quickly. I looked into the bag and to my horror it was FULL of melted chocolate! I ran home and immediately rushed Chilly to the vet and I was almost in tears on the drive there because I knew chocolate was toxic but I didn't know how much he'd gotten, etc.

The vet didn't want to induce vomiting until it was absolutely necessary because she was afraid he might choke on some of the paper bag, which he'd also swallowed, while doing so. But since we didn't know exactly hot much he'd gotten she did just to be on the safe side. When she brought him back, she said it was a good thing she induced vomiting because he'd gotten a lot of chocolate! I'll always remember the smell of chocolate on Chilly's breath and how panicked I was!

Chilly had an excellent recovery and was back to his playful self last night! Just thought I'd share this experience since it was pretty much the most hectic thing Chilly and I have had to go through yet!

-Mal & Chill-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
Oh, I'm so glad he's OK. I had no idea chocolate is toxic for dogs. I never give Molly anything unless its specifically for dogs... plus I don't like chocolate. I learn so much on this site.

Thanks all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by mmforever@Sep 22 2005, 11:25 AM
Oh, I'm so glad he's OK.  I had no idea chocolate is toxic for dogs.  I never give Molly anything unless its specifically for dogs... plus I don't like chocolate.  I learn so much on this site.

Thanks all.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=102137
[/QUOTE]
What!!! You don't like chocolate? How can you not like chocolate? LOL
I wish I didn't like chocolate...uummm, think I'll have to go buy a candy bar now.



Anyway, I'm glad Chilly is okay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
I am so glad that chilly is just fine.


I went through the same thing with Baby Gizmo back at Christmas. I was making cookies with Hershey's kisses and put some in a jar with a locked lid. When we were at work somehow Baby Gizmo managed to get it opened. I think when he knocked it off the table and into the floor it popped open. Well, needless to say he ate about 10 of them. I panic because by the time I got home he had deystroyed my house and my husband told me of the candy wrappers he found in the floor. It made him very hyper. I had to call my vet at home and tell him what happened. He assured me if he was going to die he would have already by the time I called him and the time he had ate them. He told me that it was too late to do anything at that point. I explained that he was bouncing off the walls. He told me to put him in the hall where he couldn't get hurt and to feed him some crackers and plenty of water. I didn't sleep at all that night because I was so afraid that he would die from being so hyper.

He told me that if it had been the dark chocolate that it would be more toxic to him than the milk chocolate. He told me that dark chocolate is pure and that milk chocolate had a lot of other ingredients and not as much cocoa in it as people thinks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by Baby Gizmo@Sep 23 2005, 12:55 AM
I am so glad that chilly is just fine. 


I went through the same thing with Baby Gizmo back at Christmas.  I was making cookies with Hershey's kisses and put some in a jar with a locked lid.  When we were at work somehow Baby Gizmo managed to get it opened.  I think when he knocked it off the table and into the floor it popped open.  Well, needless to say he ate about 10 of them.  I panic because by the time I got home he had deystroyed my house and my husband told me of the candy wrappers he found in the floor.  It made him very hyper.  I had to call my vet at home and tell him what happened.  He assured me if he was going to die he would have already by the time I called him and the time he had ate them. He told me that it was too late to do anything at that point. I explained that he was bouncing off the walls.  He told me to put him in the hall where he couldn't get hurt and to feed him some crackers and plenty of water.  I didn't sleep at all that night because I was so afraid that he would die from being so hyper.

He told me that if it had been the dark chocolate that it would be more toxic to him than the milk chocolate.  He told me that dark chocolate is pure and that milk chocolate had a lot of other ingredients and not as much cocoa in it as people thinks.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=102397
[/QUOTE]
That reminded me of my dalmatian puppy I had many years ago. I was just a kid and left my Easter basket on my dresser. He was just a puppy, but somehow managed to get the basket down and eat EVERYTHING in it, even the wrappers. I don't think I even knew at the time that chocolate was bad for dogs. But my mom told me to leave him in the bathroom the next day while I was at school. And he left me some yucky poop surprises to clean up, but he was okay. Of course, as a puppy, he was still probably bigger than a full grown maltese. Don't know if size has anything to do with tolerance to these things.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,597 Posts
Mal,

So glad Chilly is doing better. And so glad you took him straight to the vet...I too had a pup eat chocolate and it is just horrible to watch them suffer through...although I am glad that mine did not die and I was able to help him through the worst of the symptoms.

I don't know what I would do if Teddy had to go through that....horrible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
285 Posts
Size does matter. Ok you are all probably tired of hear about my Great Dane
but when we moved into our new house we still had some boxes laying
around that needed to be sorted and unpacked. Well when we were gone
Sierra decided she would destroy one of the boxes and eat a milk chocolate
rabbit that was in one of the boxes. I immediately called the vet when I got home
and they told me due to her size and the fact that it was MILK chocolate that
she should be fine but if I wanted to make sure I could induce vomitting by giving
her a tablespoon of peroxide.

Well I induced the vomitting and she ended up being fine. The main reason for
me posting this is so that if anything like this happens to someone when the vet ISN"T there you can always give them a little hydrogen peroxide (probably not a tablespoon for their size) to induce vomitting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,659 Posts
We've all heard it, "Don't give your dog chocolate it will kill him". We'll how true is it you're probably wondering. Do I have to rush him to an emergency vet if he ate one of my M&M's?

The truth is chocolate contains theobromine that is toxic to dogs in sufficient quantities. This is a xanthine compound in the same family of caffeine, and theophylline.

Toxic Levels

The good news is that it takes, on average, a fairly large amount of theobromine 100-150 mg/kg to cause a toxic reaction. Although there are variables to consider like the individual sensitivity, animal size and chocolate concentration.

On average,
Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz.
Semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz.
Baker's chocolate 390mg/oz.

Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:
1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate
1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate
1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.

So, for example, 2 oz. of Baker's chocolate can cause great risk to an 15 lb. dog. Yet, 2 oz. of Milk chocolate usually will only cause digestive problems.

Clinical Signs

Xanthines affect the nervous system, cardiovascular system and peripheral nerves. It has a diuretic effect as well. Clinical signs:

Hyper excitability
Hyper irritability
Increased heart rate
Restlessness
Increased urination
Muscle tremors
Vomiting
Diarrhea

Treatment

There is no specific antidote for this poisoning. And the half life of the toxin is 17.5 hours in dogs. Induce vomiting in the first 1-2 hours if the quantity is unknown. Administering activated charcoal may inhibit absorption of the toxin. An anticonvulsant might be indicated if neurological signs are present and needs to be controlled. Oxygen therapy, intravenous medications, and fluids might be needed to protect the heart.

Milk chocolate will often cause diarrhea 12-24 hours after ingestion. This should be treated symptomatically (fluids, etc..) to prevent dehydration.

If you suspect your pet has ingested chocolate contact your Vet immediately! They can help you determine the the proper treatment for your pet.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top