Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i checked out the web site reccomended to me here for a trainer. There was only one listed in my zip code. Lyn morningstar for anyone in the 239 [florida] area code. She is a member of APDT, but not certified. My vet is using a local trainer whom is also not certified. Would one be a better choice over the other? Is being a member of the APDT just paying dues, or does it ensure further education? I would like to get started asap with Miss Dixie. Thanks everyone!
Fach

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Originally posted by Fach@Jul 6 2005, 08:36 AM
Ok, i checked out the web site reccomended to me here for a trainer. There was only one listed in my zip code. Lyn morningstar for anyone in the 239 [florida] area code. She is a member of APDT, but not certified. My vet is using a local trainer whom is also not certified. Would one be a better choice over the other? Is being a member of the APDT just paying dues, or does it ensure further education? I would like to get started asap with Miss Dixie. Thanks everyone!
Fach
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=78545
[/QUOTE]
I forgot to say the other trainer [used by my vet] is with bark busters. They are a franchise of some sort. They don't specify what level of education the trainers have either.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
35 Posts
Originally posted by Fach+Jul 6 2005, 12:20 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-SylphidesMom
@Jul 6 2005, 10:01 AM
Try contacting you local kennel club or agility clubs to find recommended trainers.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=78571
good idea, thanks
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=78634
[/B][/QUOTE]

The North American Dog Obedience Instructors (NADOI) is an organization that requires its menbership to take an exam in order to be admitted. APDT, already mentioned is another good organization. You can go to the http://www.clickertraining.com or http://www.cleanrun.com and click on the links on these sites for local clubs/ schools. Your vet is another good resource. Unfortunatly, what it really comes down to is your gutt feelings. I went once to an obedience class RECOMMENDED to me by the AKC. I am a dog trainer, and I personally use only postive training (operant conditioning and target training) with my own dogs. Yet, what I saw in this obedience class has me walking out the door before my class started - being yanking and chocking dogs with a choke collar without any explanation on how it is supposed to work and be used (collars flipped around so that did not release. Constant yanking on the dogs without any reward when the dogs did something "Right."). It's not easy to find a trainer but just use your gutt feeling as your guide. If you think the trainer is using a technique that is ineffective or goes against what you think you would do to your dog were she or he not telling you to do it, find another trainer!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts