Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our town has a small Chrismas parade every year (like 20 minutes long)...so this year I decided I would take Brinkley to his first Christmas parade....
Sheesh...was THAT a bad idea!!!!????

First, there was a dog across the street that he kept barking at-it was a Llaso...all white...looked kinda like him with a long hair-do....that poor dog LIVED on that corner...but Brinkley barked like mad at him....

THEN...the ambulances and firetrucks and police cars all start out the parade with their sirens...
Brinkley went nuts!!!!

THEN...as the parade started, there was all sorts of cute doggies riding in the parade...he had to bark ferociously at them!!!!

(getting more embarrassed as I retell it
)

THEN...the parade participants throw candy to the kids and Brinkley goes crazy after every piece...so I have to pick him up and hold him so that he doesn't nip one of the kids for grabbing HIS candy...or get hold of something that he shouldn't have!!!

THEN...a group of about 50 horses and riders end the parade after Santa.... :eek: I seriously think Brinkley thought he could EAT one of those horses up!!! He was OUT OF CONTROL CRAZY
!!!! One of the horses that was closest to us started turning the wrong way-I heard the rider say to another rider..."He doesn't like dogs.."---as my crazy white fluff butt barked ferociously at them!!!!

WHAT WAS I THINKING!!!???? I kept threatening to take him back to the van...(like he understood that
) but that was about 1/2 block down the other way...and he still would have barked! I just wouldn't have had to deal with him eating me up in the process! He is absolutely-positively insane!!!

NOW...he is curled up under the Christmas tree on the skirt looking like a complete angel....
(Not what I was thinking of him about 30 minutes ago!) {we need some devil smilies
}

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I was laughing out loud the whole time I was reading your story! Mostly I was thinking that was kind of fun activity that I would try to do, and one of my dogs would have undoubtedly acted the same. LOL. Oh well, ya live and ya learn!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Oh my gosh, that was hilarious!!!
I have no doubt in my mind that Tuffy would have acted the exact same way! It just cracks me up that he is now being a perfect angel.. probably wore himself out! :lol:

I found a devil smilie for ya!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by DMZ dogs@Dec 4 2004, 06:57 PM
If either of my dogs had done that, I would have taken them home immediately.  I wouldn't want to subject other people to the noise and barking at the horses is just plain dangerous.  What if the horse had been really spooked and throw its rider?  Getting thrown to the street is a lot worse than getting thrown to the ground.  Also, I've sometimes had to take my dogs away from activities because of OTHER dogs.  Mine might be behaving perfectly, like little angels, until some other dog starts acting up.  Mine can ignore it for only so long before they end up joining in. 

I'm sorry, but if I had been there, I would have been irritated with your dog and incredulous that you would just allow that behavior and not do something about it (like remove him from everything that was getting him overexcited).

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=20332
[/QUOTE]

Thanks...that improved my wonderful mood....
When he got out of control...I did hold him...which helped some. I did walk him to the other side of the lawn when I saw/heard that he was irritating the horse...I also had skin kids there that I didn't want to make leave the parade b/c of him-nor could I walk off and leave them there alone while I took him back to the car-I guess it is a good thing that there were only three-five people around us and that they were my good friends. I have already said that taking him was not a good idea-but that is in hindsight now-and it was ONLY a 20 minute parade-not Macey's for two hours.

I probably took major offense to this-but I am in a rotten mood-and it really hit me wrong. Sorry I shared it with people that I thought would understand the crazy antics of my fluff-butt. How are you supposed to socialize them and TRY to have them around people and events if you don't try it? Taking him home wouldn't have taught him to act better next time-

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
tlunn, i totally know what you're feeling. like i really like to take the dogs out...and some times they act like animals---and other times they're great. its a good thing to take him out. even when my dogs go crazy....i stay...i want them to get used to it. maybe next year he'll be better.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I took my first Maltese Rosebud to our Holiday Parade many years ago. At that time, I lived in an historic district about 5 blocks from the parade's route, so Rosebud and I walked to the parade and everything was fine... for a little while. Then when the marching band started playing, she went nuts; the noise was bothering her terribly. It was the drums that were particulary bothersome.

So we left right away and we literally ran home..... as fast as we could to get away from the noise. I was truly worried about her because she was so visibly upset over the sound and we had no other form of transporation besides walking (running). ..... It was an unexpected reaction..... I'll never forget that......

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
dont feel bad about his behavior....the only way to get them use to it is expose them to these types of situations. the more he is exposed the better he will get. it isnt fair to keep him locked inside when he could be having fun with you guys. so dont be discouraged, and bring him next year!

·
Registered
199 Posts
OH I had an experience today with Bella too! We went to see santa at petsmart and she was well behaved for santa but barked like a wild woman at every dog in the whole place and tried to attack two ferrets walking on leashes. The other owners laughed and thought it was funny but i was so embarassed! We are still working on her manners and I need to keep getting her out there for experience with other dogs
i'm just happy she didn't attack santa!

I have been trying to add Bella's pic w/ santa for a while...i guess i can't figure it out. Any help? I want it to show up on this post.

Thanks!
Nicolle

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Tlunn--It's all ok.

I have to defend Tlunn because I relate. WE ARE FROM TENNESSEE! And a 20 minute parade is the highlight of the yr for Tlunn since she lives in the boonies
. And the parade only lasted for 20 minutes. It's the Christmas holidays! People should be in a positive mood even if Brinkley was acting psycho. By the time Tlunn would have gone to the car, it would have been totally over. Next time though, hold Brinkley's mouth if he's barking too much. I KNOW my babies would have been totally psyco too!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Dec 4 2004, 11:24 PM
Tlunn--It's all ok.

I have to defend Tlunn because I relate.  WE ARE FROM TENNESSEE!  And a 20 minute parade is the highlight of the yr for Tlunn since she lives in the boonies 
.  And the parade only lasted for 20 minutes.  It's the Christmas holidays!  People should be in a positive mood even if Brinkley was acting psycho.  By the time Tlunn would have gone to the car, it would have been totally over.  Next time though, hold Brinkley's mouth if he's barking too much.  I KNOW my babies would have been totally psyco too!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=20360
[/QUOTE]

Held his mouth too....
Tapped his nose....
Jerked his leash
Shouted "no bark"
I didn't just LET him go crazy...I did TRY to get him to stop
Thanks for the defense and the extra explanation.
Buttercup
is right-it IS the boonies...and the kids had been waiting WEEKS for this 20 MINUTE parade! I love my dog, but my skin kids are my priority-there is NO way I was making them leave b/c of HIS behavior. Sorry-

also, if a horse can make it through 5 five different types of sirens, marching bands and drums, candy being thrown everywhere...etc....surely he can take an eight pound ball of fluff barking at him as he passes...if he spooks THAT easily to where it could be dangerous-he shouldn't be walking in a parade...JMO-
anything can spook a horse at any given time-isn't that why they make them where the blinder things...so they can only see ahead or whatever...???
Anyway-still being defensive, I know....

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
yeah, i was thinking the same thing. thats why those horses are out in parades---they should be able to handle all types of situations.

and i totally understand what dmz is saying....i probably would've been annoyed a little bit too....OR i would've been laughing hysterically. i dont know. :lol:

but i feel tlunns pain. i want my dogs to get socialized...and if they have to act like animals at first....im going to have to deal with it.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
This is my old age showing - I wouldn't have been nearly as irritated about your scared, barking dog as I would if your child had screamed without stopping. THAT really drives me nuts. I can understand the scared dog in a new situation, but the kids that scream the whole time they are in a store and then the parents just walk around like they don't hear them. Talk about getting on your last nerve!

PS. My kids didn't do that.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts