Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year Paris was VERY tiny and did not mess with the tree or presents. I fear this year will be a completely different story. How have you kept your little fluff butt out of the tree and not chew up all the presents and ornaments?

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Last year at Christmas time Toby had just turned one. I feel lucky in the fact that neither he nor Wally ever bothered the tree. The most they do is lay on my velvet tree skirt.

I guess you could spray the bottom ornaments with Bitter Apple and maybe not put presents under the tree. Or you could even put a few presents under there and see how she reacts to them. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Put the Christmas tree, not the doggie, in a large playpen. You will be surprised how much your guests will enjoy it. Presents in there too.

Samsonsmom.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Oh my, I did not even give that a thought until this post. Belle will be 1 this year too and she loves to rip up paper if she finds any that we forgot to pick up. Also the tree needles, she still has to taste if not eat whatever is on the floor. I'm glad you brought this up. I can put the ornaments up high enough so she can't reach them I think but the packages and needles falling will be a problem. It will be just like having a baby around the tree again. Thanks Paris' mom for bringing this up.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Angel never has bothered the Christmas tree and Tag thinks it is just great if he can just lay under it (maybe he knows he is one of the best gifts)

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Last year Sassy hadn't joined us and Sadie was never left alone in the house unless she was in her X-pen. I put up 4 trees and she never bothered with any of them. Since we are living at my parent's house, I only put up one big tree today, and the dogs were very interested. It is a good thing that the tree is in a room that they don't have access to! They seemed to like hanging out under the tree.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
You've already put up your tree? I'm still finishing Halloween candy! I just purchased a new tree this year, and I'm planning to put it up after Thanksgiving. I prefer live trees, but with the dog and three children, an artificial one is so much easier.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@Nov 16 2005, 06:41 PM
You've already put up your tree?  I'm still finishing Halloween candy!  I just purchased a new tree this year, and I'm planning to put it up after Thanksgiving.  I prefer live trees, but with the dog and three children, an artificial one is so much easier.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120388
[/QUOTE]

I'm late! I have a whole heated and cooled storage building for my Christmas stuff. It takes me about a week to get it all out so I start Nov. 1. That's when I get out the Spode dishes, too. I have 4 trees and about 300 Santas plus all of the wreaths and garlands, etc. This year things are different. I just didn't think I was in the mood. Once I got the tree up I'm feeling alot more festive. I'm leaving most of the stuff packed away, but at least we have a few things that are familiar. And the girls and I are going to Houston on Friday to shop AND to see PAUL MCCARTNEY. Yay!!!!!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
We are putting up our tree this weekend.
Brink was young, but did not bother it last year. Neyland may be a different story.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Teaco+Nov 16 2005, 09:01 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-tlunn
@Nov 16 2005, 08:53 PM
We are putting up our tree this weekend.
Brink was young, but did not bother it last year. Neyland may be a different story.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120424
Oh not Neyland surely he wouldn't tear it up do you think -_- not my boy he wouldn't do something like that LOL
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120429
[/B][/QUOTE]

Prepare me now...
Brink was so good with it...I know I am probably in for TROUBLE!
Good thing there won't be many gifts under it...

There may not be any ornaments on the bottom foot or so of the tree either.
We shouldn't have much company, so nobody will know but us.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
We have never had any problems with Scooby touching our things, I am not surprised though as he has so many toys he just ignores our stuff. We don't put a big tree up so that won't be a problem for us. We do have the Maltese Christmas tree out and the one thing he does love is the snow man and the dog that plays Jingle Bells and the little dog barks in tune. That really fascinates him but he never touches it.

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Sassy has never bothered with the tree or any of the gifts under the tree. She has however gone under the tree and layed there for a while. She also likes to hide her greenie under there. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm......if wonder if reindeer eat greenies?

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for your replies. Paris probably won't bother the tree as much as she will want to tear into the presents. Guess I can tell my kids there won't be any presents this year

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by msmagnolia+Nov 16 2005, 08:18 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-saltymalty
@Nov 16 2005, 06:41 PM
You've already put up your tree?  I'm still finishing Halloween candy!  I just purchased a new tree this year, and I'm planning to put it up after Thanksgiving.  I prefer live trees, but with the dog and three children, an artificial one is so much easier.
I'm late! I have a whole heated and cooled storage building for my Christmas stuff. It takes me about a week to get it all out so I start Nov. 1. That's when I get out the Spode dishes, too. I have 4 trees and about 300 Santas plus all of the wreaths and garlands, etc. This year things are different. I just didn't think I was in the mood. Once I got the tree up I'm feeling alot more festive. I'm leaving most of the stuff packed away, but at least we have a few things that are familiar. And the girls and I are going to Houston on Friday to shop AND to see PAUL MCCARTNEY. Yay!!!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120397
[/B][/QUOTE]

Susan, I am so glad you posted about having your beautiful Christmas items stored in a separate storage building. So they survived the hurricane? I remember the beautiful pictures you posted of your home decorated for Christmas last year and have been just sick thinking you lost everyhting to Katrina. I've been afraid to ask. I have a much smaller collection of Santas, but would be heartbroken to lose them.

Back on subject....

Remember, everyone, not to use tinsel on your trees. It can be very dangerous for cats or dogs to swallow and often requires surgery.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom+Nov 17 2005, 12:39 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 16 2005, 08:18 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-saltymalty
@Nov 16 2005, 06:41 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120397

[/QUOTE]

Susan, I am so glad you posted about having your beautiful Christmas items stored in a separate storage building. So they survived the hurricane? I remember the beautiful pictures you posted of your home decorated for Christmas last year and have been just sick thinking you lost everyhting to Katrina. I've been afraid to ask. I have a much smaller collection of Santas, but would be heartbroken to lose them.

Back on subject....

Remember, everyone, not to use tinsel on your trees. It can be very dangerous for cats or dogs to swallow and often requires surgery.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120632
[/B][/QUOTE]

Marj, How kind of you to remember my Christmas collection. You would be amazed at how many of my friends have tiptoed around the subject, for fear it was all gone. My best friend in the world waited about a month before she broached the subject. LOL. The loss of my collection would have been a bigger loss than all the items in my house, combined. I've been collecting for 35 years and it would be impossible to replace.....

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I know how you feel. I have ornaments that were my mother's and some that belonged to my grandmother. Our tree fell over last year and I lost about a half dozen ornaments. Never again will I get a fresh tree. I have a beautiful artificial one that cost a small fortune (I told my husband it cost $79...and he believed it!) These ornaments bring back such memories for me. I have old Christmas photos of my brothers and me hanging these very same ornaments that my children now love. Each one is different, and each one has a family story around it. I'm not sure how much of the stories are true, but we share them anyway. My oldest ornament is from my Grandparent's first Christmas together in 1934. I think the ones I treasure the most are the ones my children made. I would absolutely be heartbroken if I lost any of those.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@Nov 17 2005, 11:19 PM
I think the ones I treasure the most are the ones my children made.  I would absolutely be heartbroken if I lost any of those.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120787
[/QUOTE]
My mom has this string of paper christmas lights my younger brother made when he was in kindergarten. It is one of her favorite ornaments. It has been on the tree every year since he made it (so about 13 years).

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
SaltyMalty,
You didn't get the frasier fir from Front Gate, did you? I have contemplated that tree, but hate to spend the money and then have the lights go out in a few years.

Before moving to MS we ordered a tree from a tree farm in NC and it was cut on the Friday before Thanksgiving, arrived UPS on Tuesday and I would decorate it on Wed. It was so fresh all during the holidays. We had it in a bay window and I ran fishing line through the tree and tethered it to the windows. One year a tree tried to fall over and that we found that we had to do something to make sure it didn't happen again.

http://www.frontgate.com/fg/pdp.jsp?prod_o...-13851&cursor=0

1 - 20 of 26 Posts