Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my local paper I have noticed that most of the pups are registered with CKC instead of AKC. I'm not sure just what the CKC stands for. Is this something I should stay away from.
Lacie2 Mom

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
It stands for Continental Kennel Club here in the US and you should steer away from this registry:

http://www.ilmorescue.org/Registry.htm

If you are just beginning your search for a Maltese, I'd recommend you go to our Breeders/Puppymill section and learn as much as possible before making that oh-so-important purchase. We can also help you with any questions you have, guide you through the process, even recommend breeders sometimes.

BTW, buying a puppy through a newspaper ad is really not a good idea.

http://www.phouka.com/puppy/bdr_irres.html

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
It could stand for Canadian Kennel Club, depends on where you live. I do agree with Lady's mom though it is not a good idea to buy out of the paper (or a pet store).

If you tell us where you live we might be able to help you find a breeder. Also what is the max amount you can spend on the puppy.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Be sure to read Lexi's Mom's post about questions to ask breeders in the very top part of that section! It is very helpful and a great place to start.

BTW, what part of the country are you from? Prices vary a lot depending where you live.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Oct 10 2005, 02:15 PM
BTW, what part of the country are you from? Prices vary a lot depending where you live.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=108104
[/QUOTE]
Yes the prices do vary a lot. I live in the midwest and have discovered the prices are a lot less hear. I just got my second maltese in June from a show breeder in the St. Louis, Missouri area. She happens to have 2 female puppies right now. They are only 1.5 -2 weeks old and were still available last time I talked to her. They are $2000 which is the average price for a female pet quality puppy from a show breeder in the midwest. Out on the east or west coast they are about a thousand more I think. If you are interested let me know. Or if you would like to know some other good breeders in the midwest let me know. I kept track of all the breeders I talked to. I contacted breeders in Iowa, Illinious, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Missouri, and Minnesota.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by LadysMom@Oct 10 2005, 02:15 PM
Be sure to read Lexi's Mom's post about questions to ask breeders in the very top part of that section! It is very helpful and a great place to start.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=108104
[/QUOTE]

I live in Birmingham, AL. I already have one Maltese and I am thinking about getting another in the next few months.

I did find my Lacie in the newspaper (I know it's not a good idea). At the time I didn't have any idea where else to go to find one and my mind was made up on a Maltese. I probably paid too much for her ($1,500), most of the ads here say somewhere in the neighborhood of $600. but it's CKC and I didn't like the information I found on this registry.

I expect to pay more for my next Maltese i just want to be sure and get one that comes from someone who really cares about the breed and not just the $$$.

I have another question: On Lacie's pedigre under color, I notice that some are White and some are White with Black points. Aren't they all White with Black points?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by LadysMom@Oct 10 2005, 02:49 PM
There are a couple of breeders in Alabama on the American Maltese Association's recommended breeders list here.

http://www.americanmaltese.org/
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=108114
[/QUOTE]

Thanks to all of you for your help. One of the breeders on the American Maltese Association list lives about 4 miles from me.
Thanks
Lacie2 Mom

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Bonita Greene is in AL and I heard she is an excellent breeder. Her website is http://www.coquetmaltese.com.

CKC can stand for Canadian Kennel Club and Continental Kennel Club. Canadian Kennel Club is reputable and the Canadian version of AKC. My show kids are dual registered with CKC and AKC. On the other hand, Continental Kennel Club is a puppy mill registry and you should stay away from it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts