Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you have class rings? Do you wear them all of the time, sometimes, never? I was thinking about getting one (this will be my 2nd master's degree) and I was wondering if I should spend $500 on one. Ideas, thoughts?

I like these, the first and second ones are my favorite (I will get it in white gold, aquamarine stone):

~Elegant

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I wore my ring from high school until I went to college. I didn't get one for college. The only people that I see still wearing their class rings are the ones who went to the Naval Academy or West Point. (Should be noted that I am in my 40's.)

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I wore my highschool one for most of college. I didn't get a college one, and don't know anyone who did off the top of my head.
If you don't necessarily care if it is a class ring, treat yourself to another piece of jewelry instead. When I finished my master's degree, my husband bought me a sapphire and diamond bracelet that I had been coveting for years. It is beautiful and special to me.

PS: But the first ring is really pretty!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I'm 30. I lost my high school class ring while still in high school and never replaced it. No, that's not true. That's the lie I always tell my friends and family. Actually, what happened, was I was so disgusted with high school and all around depressed that it would still be half a year until I was out of there that I threw it across the floor during an assemly. No one ever returned it and I never mourned its loss. I bought a university class ring that I still have. I will sometimes go for months without wearing it and then start wearing it every day again. I'm glad I bought it. It gave me peace of mind when I went through some rough spots out here because I figured I could always sell it to get money to eat. (It's gold.) I still look at it as my emergency lunch. It lost its true meaning for me a long time ago. I wish that instead of a class ring, I had bought a pretty ring. Class rings, to me, are ugly what with the ugly little pics on the side, the limited options you have on how to make it look, and I really don't care that my uni name is on it. Far better, I think, to go to a jewelry store and spend your money on a beautiful ring. Unless the best years of your life were in high school or university (which would be really, really sad), than what's the purpose in wearing a reminder on your finger?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I got one for high school but have long since lost it. I never got one for college or med school - I am just not into school spirit I guess. The first one on your list is very nice though.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Hmmmmm, the subject of class rings brings back bad memories.... While a freshman in college, my boyfriend had given me his class ring and I was wearing it with tape or something around it. I had given him mine to wear around his neck. He had gone out of town for the summer and while he was gone, I accidentally lost his ring. I left it on a bathroom counter when I took it off to wash my hands, because of the tape... (I have never taken a ring off in a bathroom again.)

I felt so terrible about it and found the company that provided class rings and ordered him another one just like it. At the time it was a lot of money for me.

Well, by the time the ring actually arrived, we had broken up. (He had found someone else while he was out of town.) So, I had the ring delivered to him but he never gave me mine back. Even though I obviously would not wear it now, it would have been nice to at least have it. I remember how we all spent so much energy trying to figure out which details to choose, etc.

So, Elegant, at first thought I would say, don't bother with a class ring. Then I remembered that you are in the field of education and I think the ring might be especially appropriate in that case. SO my opinion ..... # 1 looks like an engagement ring, sort of. If you got #2, the main stone would be black.. right? And the inset stores aquamarine ? I like that one a lot. I see that the description under one of the photos mentions "birthstone". I thought you were supposed to get the school color ? No?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, I like the input. :D

Now I am wondering, what should the stone be? I thought it was your birthstone that goes in the ring. I like the 2nd one...it wouldn't be onyx though, it would be aquamarine. I will have to look it up. I never got a high school class ring, and I have worked and sacraficed so much for this degree...a master's in 10 months.

I also have some BAD memories of high school...THE worst years of my life. I never got that ring then because I hated high school with a PASSION!

I am leaning towards the 2nd one though. My bf told me I should actually go to my school where they have the rings displayed and look at them in person...what a pain. I am very finicky (sp?) and change my mind alot when I have choices.

Now I have to see what stone goes in it!

~Elegant

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I have a class ring that I only wear to alumni functions...it is from my college days. I don't have any idea where my HS class ring is. I think I gave it to a cousin to "play" with...she was in middle school at the time (more than 20 years ago). My college ring is all gold, no stone. It has an ingraved top to it with the school crest and along side is my degree and graduation year. When I graduated, we all got the same rings in my sorority mostly because we felt they looked sophisticated...can you believe that? Now we wear them whenever we have a reunion.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Elegant@Jul 30 2005, 08:51 PM
Thanks guys, I like the input.  :D

Now I am wondering, what should the stone be?  I thought it was your birthstone that goes in the ring.  I like the 2nd one...it wouldn't be onyx though, it would be aquamarine.  I will have to look it up. I never got a high school class ring, and I have worked and sacraficed so much for this degree...a master's in 10 months.

I also have some BAD memories of high school...THE worst years of my life.  I never got that ring then because I hated high school with a PASSION!

I am leaning towards the 2nd one though.  My bf told me I should actually go to my school where they have the rings displayed and look at them in person...what a pain.  I am very finicky (sp?) and change my mind alot when I have choices. 

Now I have to see what stone goes in it! 

~Elegant
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=86039
[/QUOTE]

I think the second one needs the onyx because it then has another stone set within it. I don't think the design would work with an aquamarine.

I know how you feel after completing your master's. I felt the same way when I got mine. It is such a good feeling of having reached a goal.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I read somewhere that the stone is a person's preference, birthstone or their favorite color?
I think you can get the second ring in aquamarine because it goves you a choice of stones. Weird.

~Elegant

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I was born in December and never liked anyone's version of what my birthstone should be. So, when I got my university ring, I had them use a tiger eye since I was born in the year of the tiger. It's due to the stone that I ever wear the ring at all. It turned out rather pretty--because I really like tigereyes.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Elegant@Jul 31 2005, 01:28 AM
Well, I read somewhere that the stone is a person's preference, birthstone or their favorite color? 
I think you can get the second ring in aquamarine because it goves you a choice of stones.  Weird.

~Elegant
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=86109
[/QUOTE]

Do you think the choice of stones means the stones inset within the onyx and on the sides?

Back in high school we just got our school color but preference or birthstone or whatever seems reasonable to me.....

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The center stone in the picture is onyx. Where the university name is at, surrounding the stone, is "antique" finishing. The center and side tiny stones are diamonds, I think...

~Elegant

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Elegant@Jul 31 2005, 03:59 PM
The center stone in the picture is onyx.  Where the university name is at, surrounding the stone, is "antique" finishing.  The center and side tiny stones are diamonds, I think...

~Elegant
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=86209
[/QUOTE]

Yes, but are you saying that you can choose to put aquamarine where the onyx stone is?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Jul 31 2005, 01:25 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Elegant
@Jul 31 2005, 03:59 PM
The center stone in the picture is onyx.  Where the university name is at, surrounding the stone, is "antique" finishing.  The center and side tiny stones are diamonds, I think...

~Elegant
Yes, but are you saying that you can choose to put aquamarine where the onyx stone is?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=86213
[/B][/QUOTE]
Yes

~Elegant

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Elegant+Jul 31 2005, 08:56 PM-->
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's [email protected] 31 2005, 01:25 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Elegant

~Elegant

[/QUOTE]
Yes

~Elegant
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=86261
[/B][/QUOTE]

It just seems like it would look totally different since the onyx has the inset stone in it, etc. But it could be "different" in a good way... if that makes sense!!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Jul 31 2005, 06:38 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 31 2005, 08:56 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Elegant

~Elegant

Yes

~Elegant
It just seems like it would look totally different since the onyx has the inset stone in it, etc. But it could be "different" in a good way... if that makes sense!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=86289
[/B][/QUOTE]
I understand what you mean. I think it would plain out look better in onyx only...what do you think?

~Elegant

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Elegant+Jul 31 2005, 10:03 PM-->
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's [email protected] 31 2005, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 31 2005, 08:56 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Elegant

~Elegant

Yes

~Elegant

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=86289
[/QUOTE]
I understand what you mean. I think it would plain out look better in onyx only...what do you think?

~Elegant
[/B][/QUOTE]
I'm not sure what you're asking.... duh... do you mean would it look better in onyx without the diamond?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I tried modifying th pic to explain, but couldn't! :D

About the Onyx ring, you see where the onyx is...the diamond on top is set with gold, so starting from very top, there is a diamond, gold inset, onyx.

My question is, I think I should just leave the onyx ring as it is and get it that way. There are three small diamonds total, and those can not be changed to aquamarine.

I am still going to try to redraw my diagram. :lol:

~Elegant

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Elegant@Aug 1 2005, 01:11 AM
I tried modifying th pic to explain, but couldn't!  :D

About the Onyx ring, you see where the onyx is...the diamond on top is set with gold, so starting from very top, there is a diamond, gold inset, onyx.

My question is, I think I should just leave the onyx ring as it is and get it that way.  There are three small diamonds total, and those can not be changed to aquamarine.

I am still going to try to redraw my diagram.  :lol:

~Elegant
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=86324
[/QUOTE]

I think we're probably on the same wave length... just explaining it differently ...

Yes, the onyx ring with the diamonds is very nice... I like the way the degree is written on the side.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts