Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<span style="font-family:Times">How often do you guys clean your malt's ears? and with what products do you use?</span>

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I clean once a week. I like Oticalm ear cleaner. Your vet can also recommend a good one for you.

Fill the ear canal with cleaner, massage the base of the ear, put a cotton ball (on these tiny ears I use 1/2 a cotton ball) in the ear and massage. Repeat the cotton ball until you get a clean dry one. For a really dirty ear, you can refill with cleaner. My dogs' ears stay quite clean, but if you need to you can use a q-tip for those folds and such near the enterance to the ear canal. Q-tips are somewhat abrasive so cotton balls are better for cleaning inside the ear.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I put the solution in their ears when it's bath time. So I clean their ears every week to week an a half. I pluck their ears every month or so. But, I smell their ears ALL THE TIME! Cloud use to get ear infections frequently so that's why I'm a freak about that!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I clean weekly. Lacey used to get ear infections all the time...knock on wood that she won't get one now. I have learned not to pluck her ears all at once. A little bit each week. Now that we have a rountine there isn't much hair to pluck at all. I use cotton balls and q-tips with Otimen (sp) that I got from the vet. I put in right before bath time, message her ears and then wash her. Afterwards I use cotton balls and q-tips to clean the insides.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by JMM@Jul 4 2005, 05:26 AM
I clean once a week. I like Oticalm ear cleaner. Your vet can also recommend a good one for you.

Fill the ear canal with cleaner, massage the base of the ear, put a cotton ball (on these tiny ears I use 1/2 a cotton ball) in the ear and massage. Repeat the cotton ball until you get a clean dry one. For a really dirty ear, you can refill with cleaner. My dogs' ears stay quite clean, but if you need to you can use a q-tip for those folds and such near the enterance to the ear canal. Q-tips are somewhat abrasive so cotton balls are better for cleaning inside the ear.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=77800
[/QUOTE]

<span style="font-family:Times">Thanks for the tips....I always love reading your responses, they're so informative :D </span>

·
Registered
34 Posts
I clean Angel's ears once a week, before his bath.

1. I pour some ear powder into his ear. Rub it for 2 minutes or so, so the hair in his ear is well coated. Then pluck all the hair bit by bit. The powder makes the grip to those tiny hair a lot better. Some people use baking soda. I've not tried it, don't know how it works.

2. Then I pour some ear wash (I'll come back to you with the brand, it's really good, Angel's ears stay clean all the time) into his ear, one of the groomer told me not to be stingy on this product. Then again I rub his ear for 2 minutes. The solution will desolve the ear wax. Then I wrap some cotton on a forcep like tweezer (the end's bend, to prevent it going to deep). Then I clean the ears. DON'T TWIST THE TWEEZER IN YOUR HAND AS IT'LL FEEL LIKE SANDPAPER IN YOUR DOG'S EAR. JUST DAB!

It's a little messy, so I always bathe him after that. Good Luck! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts