Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Duke and I just got back from the vet for his boosters. Everything looks great :D ...except they had to do minor ear cleaning. It seems that I'm not doing the greatest job of cleaning out his ears. This part of the grooming process is NOT something that he enjoys so it makes it VERY difficult.
Any advice on how to get those pesky hairs out of this wiggle worm's ears?
Any help would be great! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Rex has a yeast infection and ear mites when we got him, so I have done lots of ear cleaning. (14 days straight and now once a week) The groomer gets most of his ear hairs out, but the vet had tiny enough fingers just to pull them out with her fingers. She gave us a prescription ear cleaner, otic something or another, to clean his ears out with for the rest of his life (as she put it) the bottle was under $15 and she said would last for the rest of his life probably, however it will expire in a couple of years. I just squish it in until his ear is full, wiggle it around from the outside and let it drain on a gauze and wipe it out as best I can with gauze on my finger. After that I clean any thing else out with a q-tip going straight down, there ear drum is a 90 degree angle in so as long as you go staight down and not in, it wont hurt them. Our vet doesnt recommend doing it this way, but she said Rex's ears are so small that is the best way, just to be careful.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I put a little R7 Ear Powder in Lady's ears, then just gently pull the hairs out with my fingertips. You only want to remove the hair that it growing in the ear canal itself and it comes out quite easily. Don't pull the hair growing on the ear flap as it hurts!

No matter how gentle I am, Lady hates this task. She puts up with twice daily insulin shots, getting stuck in the inside of her lip to check her blood sugar, endless pills, but panicks when it's time to do her ears. She came to me with horrible infections in both ears that she had probably had for a long time so she is real sensitive about her ears. I try to just do a little bit at a time, give lots of praise and kisses, and of course, the TREAT.

Lady would do anyhting for her "good girl treat!"

I use Oticalm ear cleaner and a cotton ball for general cleaning. Knock wood, she hasn't had any further problem with infections in 5 years.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Poor Lady, I had no idea she has to get daily shots. At least she has a good mommy to take care of her like she needs to be taken care of. Oh my Rex would hate me!

The ear cleaning stuff we have for Rex is Epi Otic.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I figured it out recently. I have given Lady over 2500 insulin shots in the past 3&1/2 years!

She IS a good girl!

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
If you take a 4x4 gauze pad and twist one corner into a point you can use it to get down into the ear and clean. This is much safer than a Q tip, as careful as you are with the Q tip all it takes is one shake of the head and you have punctured the ear drum.

·
Registered
277 Posts
<span style="font-family:Times">If Duke is a major wiggle worm like Peaches was, then your just gonna have to bribe him
. When I first started grooming Peaches's ears, I did it outside on the patio because she seemed to be more calm outdoors. It takes a while for them to get used to it and realize thats its something that needs to get done. I used to also have my bf hold a spoon of peanutbutter near her mouth to keep her occupied and her head still...
</span>

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Originally posted by puppymom@Jun 27 2005, 02:31 PM
If you take a 4x4 gauze pad and twist one corner into a point you can use it to get down into the ear and clean.  This is much safer than a Q tip, as careful as you are with the Q tip all it takes is one shake of the head and you have punctured the ear drum.   

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=75688
[/QUOTE]

We started with the gauze pad, but the vet just couldnt get all the bugs out of his ears in all the folds inside, that is why she said q-tips.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks so much for all the helpful tips! Great ideas...
One more question - how often do I need to pluck the hairs and do the cleaning?
Thanks in advance!

- Clare and Duke

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I find it less stressful for Lady to keep up with it rather than having to do a major plucking. She gets bathed weekly and I usually check/clean/pluck her ears if she needs it.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I wouldn't recommend plucking the ears out until your puppy is a little older as this advice was given to me by my vet when Scooby was tiny. The vet said at such a young age the skin in the ear is still very soft and may tear very easily, so we waited till he was at least 6 months old to begin the plucking process, then we left it to the groomer because I didn't feel confident in doing it.
I do clean his ears with a special solution that can be put directly into the ear then with a gentle massage it will loosen any gunk in there and make it easier to remove and also it keeps the inner ear dry and smelling sweet. The product we use is called Oti-Soother and we bought it from our vet and what it does is Cleans, Dries, Deoderizes, Acidifies and it contains Aloe Vera and let me tell you Scooby's ears smell so nice after.
I might add though that he hates it being done and I found the best way to do it was to get a baby ear wash applicator at the drug store and put some in there and warm it slightly to take the chill off, because you need to squirt the solution into the ear and it is better if it is at least body temperature.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts