Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girls seem to get ear infections often. When I bathe them I put cotton balls in their ears and cover the cotton ball with vaseline and when I'm washing their heads I try to be carefull not to let water inside the ears. I dont pour lots of water on the head just little at a time. But some times when I take the cotton out is wet. :eek:
So I'm wondering how do you guys handle the ears when you bathe your babies? what do you use to keep it dry.

Thanks

·
Registered
400 Posts
I gave Casper a bad ear infection from washing his head, even though I was using cotton balls. I just don't wash his head anymore. You can't really tell it hasn't been washed when he is dry.

Make sure you get a good ear cleaning solution(I like the ones at my vet, not the petstore) and squirt a little in each ear every time you give your girls a bath.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i've never heard about using vaseline....you might not even have to do that. im sure it gets messy. definitely use ear cleaner solution after the baths---it will dry out the ear

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
We also use a ear wash solution in Caesar's ear after his bath. When I wash his head I usually just cup the water in my hand, it takes a while longer but that way I at least feel like I have a little more control on what is and what isn't getting wet. I also hold his ears down when I do this. There is a drying solution, but I have found since Caesar hates me putting stuff in his ears, that it gets all over his fur around his ears and drys it out terribly. The ear wash has a drying effect so now thats all I use. If it gets on the fur it doesn't dry it out as bad. Plus the wash is liquid and the drying solution is a lot thicker like a gel, so the liquid wash goes in his ears a lot easier. Which makes me happier cause it's less mess and Caesar is happier cause it goes a lot quicker than trying to get the gel stuff in his ears.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
My problem is that I put the cotton in but it always falls out before I get around to doing Lexi's head. I have been thinking of getting an ear cleaning / drying solution. Could some please recommend a particular one? There are so many of them. So if someone can tell me exactly which one to get I would really appreciate it. Preferably one I can buy at PetCo or PetSmart.

I have never had to buy one before. So I know nothing about them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nichole, Which one do you use?

doctorcathy- my vet told me to use vaseline to cover the cotton once is inside the ear. it supposed to block the water from getting into the cotton. and yeah, it does get a little messy

Thanks all for the tips...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi all,
My breeder strongly recommended Gimborn R-7 ear powder which I bought at petedge.com. Are you removing your pup's ear hair? If you don't, I know that that can cause ear infection because it allows moisture to build up in their ear canal. Just a suggestion
. I hear that the powder really helps to prevent infections as it helps to dry out the ear canal. It also reduces odor.
Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts