Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I like the new i-clicks (you can order them off Karen Pryor's site). They are really easy to click and are a bit quieter than the classic box clicker. You definately want a zinger or lanyard as they will click on their own if kept in your pocket (and you have to pay for every click). Buy a couple as if you are like me, they will disappear and you will find them in odd places.

It is actually a really great idea to have a session or two with a clicker-savvy positive trainer before jumping into it. Timing can be tough to learn and watching someone and having them watch you can help a lot. For a dog with basic obedience, a clicks and tricks class might be a great way to start out. It is just a ton of fun and you will learn the principles of operant and classical conditioning as well as start to fine tune your clicker skills and how to get behaviors you want. A basic clicker/intro class can do the same thing.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Okay all, Lacey is into her third clicker training class and she is the star pupil!!! I am sooooo proud of her. I have already signed her up for the second, more advanced clicker training class. She is doing great and it really does work. I have seen so much improvement in her behavior. Before she was stuck to me like velcro and never left my side. Now I can tell her to "wait" and she won't move from that spot until I call her to me. Barking has gotten much better. She looks at me when I call her name. And if she is doing something I don't like I just take my clicker and work on basics like sitting and laying to get her off the bad behavior and working on something that is good.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Way to go Lacey (and mom)
maybe when you get through training Lacey you can come train Pari :D She knows to sit but that's about it...I'm not doing too great in the training department

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@May 30 2005, 02:51 PM
I would load the clicker before teaching behaviors with it.

Get a small pile (10-20) of super yummy treats...click, treat, click, treat, etc. quickly through the pile. Do this 3x/day for a couple of days. This will help desensitize the dog to the clicker and associate the click with receiving a treat.

Be careful on timing your click. You should be clicking as her butt hits the floor, not after.

You might buy an I-click as the sound is a bit more muted. You definately need a lanyard or zinger for it because it will click in your pocket on its own if you leave it there.
http://clickertraining.com/store/?item=newclicker
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=66916
[/QUOTE]

Well, I went to the site and decided I wanted to try the clicker method too, so I ordered several items
I ordered the starter kit so I could start learning how to do it and there was a sale on the I-clicker with the lanyard for less than the lanyard cost alone and I bought two of those
I ordered some other stuff also, now I just have to wait for the stuff to get here and I will start reading up on it. Thank you for the site, they have some nice stuff :D

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I'm so glad you're enjoying training and learning how to solve behavior problems already! Isn't it great to understand how they think and be able to modify behaviors you don't like. I also noticed a vast improvement in my dogs' behavior after I started.

I'm glad you liked Karen Pryor's site. She has a lot of neat stuff. She has also written some great books (Don't Shoot the Dog in particular).

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I am so glad I signed her up for the class. We have been working on the "no bark" and I wasn't having much success. Now when I tell her "no bark" she is listening to me. She is also getting much better with strangers. Before she would bark at them. Now I tell them (people) to hold out their hand for her to smell and she is then okay with them. I didn't no I would see the improvement I have so fast. She seems to enjoy the class to. At the last class she was so good. When we weren't working with our dogs, listening to the teacher, Lacey would sit and just keep looking at my face. She was waiting for me to give her a command. I do highly recommend clicker training. Lacey is the first dog I have ever tried it with and I am amazed.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Originally posted by Laceys mom@Jun 17 2005, 11:52 AM
I am so glad I signed her up for the class.  We have been working on the "no bark" and I wasn't having much success.  Now when I tell her "no bark" she is listening to me.  She is also getting much better with strangers.  Before she would bark at them.  Now I tell them (people) to hold out their hand for her to smell and she is then okay with them.  I didn't no I would see the improvement I have so fast.  She seems to enjoy the class to.  At the last class she was so good.  When we weren't working with our dogs, listening to the teacher, Lacey would sit and just keep looking at my face.  She was waiting for me to give her a command.  I do highly recommend clicker training.  Lacey is the first dog I have ever tried it with and I am amazed.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=73394
[/QUOTE]

It's really great that it is working so well for you
If you have seen so much improvement so soon, imagine how much more she will learn as you continue the training
She gets a big
from Indy and his Mommy.
I am going to look in my area and see if I can find a trainer like you have for Indy and Mommy too

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Ty and I are starting clicker training with a trainer next Wednesday. I just read the post about loading. Should I do that before our first session?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by puppymom@Jun 24 2005, 08:45 AM
Ty and I are starting clicker training with a trainer next Wednesday.  I just read the post about loading.  Should I  do that before our first session?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74863
[/QUOTE]

Nope. It will be included in your sessions.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Okay today was Lacey's last clicker training class for the beginner. She passed all of her challenges...sitting, laying, down, staying, waiting, standing, leave it, and looking at me so she has offically graduated to the next class that starts this Thursday evening. I was so excited for her. She is even going up to strangers and letting them pet her and not barking her head off at them! The cost of the class alone is worth that. This September the place I take Lacey for training is starting a new program. It is called Levels. The trainer was telling me about it and Lacey has already passed level 1 and she is pretty far along with level 2. From what I understand there are 7 levels of training. If you can get through level 3 then you should have a very well behaved housedog. My trainer is going for training in July and will start using it with a few dogs in August and start training in September. Has anyone heard of Level training? When the trainers website has the info I will post.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Aww! Congrats to your well behaved baby!!! Isn't it just the best thing when you can see the differences in their behaviour? I'm beginning to believe these two guys may be smarter than me....

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS!!! We went for our first clicker class on Wednesday, I have to admit I don't quite "get it yet". I've been reading the clicker site and doing our "homework" so I hope it gets a bit clearer.

My trainer said the Ty needs to be more "socialized"...... he was the coward of the class. There were 7 other puppies all 14-16 wks in the class. In his defense he as the smallest but they all palyed and rough housed and had a great time during play time. Ty hid between my feet. Since Ty plays all the time with his English Sheepdog brother I was a bit surprised.

But, being an over protective parent, I haven't taken him around many people or other dogs til last week because I wanted him to have all his shots first. I'm sure my Vet's tech thought I was a nut when I asked her to clean the scale off before weighing him the first time we went in
But he was only 8 wks old and had only had one set of shots.

Yesterday we took him to a picnic where there were lots of people and a couple other dogs. He did ok (except with the little girl that spent the entire day making us both crazy) but wasn't real excited about the other dogs. He actually snapped at a black lab that kept coming over and draining his water bowl (apparently none of the other dog owners thought to bring water for their dogs).

We are only clicking two behaviors right now, nose to hand and sit. Hoepfully the next class will be more enlightening.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Lacey isn't great with other dogs. At the end of the six weeks she would go up to them but she would bark at them. Both of these dogs were huged compared to her but they were afraid of her! She loves both of her cat brothers and plays with them really good, but other dogs she just isn't interested in. When the other two dogs in class would play she would get upset and bark at them and try to get in between them. She does the same thing when her two cat brothers fight...she gets very upset and comes and finds either me or her dad and makes us follow her so we can break up the fight. She is such a little character. I don't think she will ever be interested in other dogs, but that is okay. She is my little velcro strip and she sticks to me. I told my husband we should have named her velcro strip because she is constantly glued to me.

We start the next class Thursday night. Different trainer this class. The trainer from the last class is teaching a class that I just can't attend but she said I should like the next trainer. The next trainer is a handler and she should be able to show me somethings. The last trainer doesn't show dogs. She just has 2 dogs that are very well behaved. Both of her dogs came from shelters. She just believes in having a well behaved housedog.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts