Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harleys coat got really long over winter so today I decided to give him a little trim with scissors ..... disaster!

He's now totally uneven & I have called a few pet supplies places locally & they don't stock clippers, so my question is, can I use 'human' clippers??

Also, is there a trick to trimming the tail? I've gone & messed it up now, but for next time?

I'm such a dufus!!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
When I trim, I use human baby clippers. I find that regular nail clippers are too large. The baby clippers are just the right size for me, but I guess that would depend on how large the nails are. I cannot use the animal clippers...they look too scary. I can't help with the tail trim, but if you have thinning shears, they do wonders to even out an uneven cut on bangs (I learned that when I tried to cut my daughter's bangs).

edited: You are not a dufus...that spot is reserved for me...I thought you were refering to nail clippers. Now I realize that you meant the thing you use to trim a dog's hair! Yes I think that you can use a human clippers.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by saltymalty@Sep 10 2005, 11:45 AM
When I trim, I use human baby clippers.  I find that regular nail clippers are too large.  The baby clippers are just the right size for me, but I guess that would depend on how large the nails are.  I cannot use the animal clippers...they look too scary.  I can't help with the tail trim, but if you have thinning shears, they do wonders to even out an uneven cut on bangs (I learned that when I tried to cut my daughter's bangs).
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=98178
[/QUOTE]

Thanks - I guess I got the wrong name, it's not his nails I messed up - I haven't got that far yet!! I guess I meant 'shears' or whatever the electric 'trimmers' are called - you know when men have really short haircuts? Those type of trimmers/clippers/shears???

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, crisis averted .... I think.

I just went to the local shopping centre (mall?) & picked up some clippers for $25 - if they don't work, it will just be a lesson learned & not an expensive lesson thankfully!

The set came with 5 'trim guides' so I'll give it a try with the 3/4" one first, that way I can try & minimise any damage!! It's whisper quite & Harley didn't even seem to notice when I turned it on before, so hopefully he wont fuss too much.

Here goes nothing!!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I use human clippers that I got at Walmart on Brinkley. Wahl brand I believe. They work fine. Not as well as the high powered more expensive "grooming" kind that real groomers use....but they do the trick for my one dog. I have a set of hair clippers and a mustache/beard trimmer and a smaller personal size trimmer.

I think someone on here posted about trimming the tail...some never touch it. We do, because it gets REALLY long. Most people would never be able to tell we trimmed it, but we notice a little snip helps. I TRY to lay it all flat out to the side and snip a little off the ends...but that is sometimes easier said than done.
So many times I just pull it out and snip the ends. Then I use the thinning shears to kinda try to blend it so it doesn't look so blunt cut on the ends. That is the only thing I hate about trimming it, is that when I am finished, the ends look too straight/blunt to me. Nobody else notices.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, not a bad result, not too bad for my very first attempt anyways! It's not great, but then I guess it will take practice. As we're coming into summer soon, I will practice again in a month or so and maybe go a bit shorter.

Before:

After:

I've still got a lot of 'fixing up' to do, but he looks ok to be seen in public without being embarassed & blaming his horrible 'mother'!
I notice a LOT of blunt cuts too - from my earlier attempt today to give him a 'trim' with scissors. I found the clippers have helped to even him up a little bit, but I guess I will wait a week or so & see how it 'grows in'.

I haven't done his head yet, I just trimmed his ears, he has a lot of mats around his neck & I'm not confident enough with the clipper just yet to tackle those, I think I'll just try & loosen them up a bit & attempt to get rid of those with the baby scissors ....

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
What a cutie!!!
I think you did a fine job for your first attempt. I think the head and legs are the hardest. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Looks pretty good to me. I used to groom my Sheltie and over time I got really good at it. He did fine in the show ring so guess I didn't do too bad.

Personally I think you did a pretty good job at your first attempt. Your braver than I am.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Technically if you get a pair at Sally's or some place like that, they're pretty much the same. However, you would still need to order blades so I'd just order everything as it is probably much cheaper.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Welcome back Jackie, it's good to see you around again. We have missed you!!

Harley's Mom: I couldn't figure out WHAT you were talking about, after all, SUMMER IS ALMOST OVER!!! HEHEHEHE, then I saw where you are from!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your pup looks great!

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone, I guess practice makes perfect and until I can find a groomer I am happy with, he'll just have to get used to me 'practicing'! LOL

·
Registered
552 Posts
What a handsome little man.
I think you did real well for your first time. I bought a pair for animals at Wal-Mart made by Wahl too. They cut really well. The only thing I have noticed about our furbabys is the type of hair they have. I believe where it is so soft it is hard to get a real good cut. I cut my baby's real close and keep clothes on him in the winter time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts