Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Cloning your pet

751 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  ButterCloudandNoriko 
#1 ·
Company in Tx now will clone your cat for you for roughly $32,000. They are working on the technology to do dogs as well and expect to be there by the end of the year. This is extremely interesting to me being a previous pit bull owner for the simple fact the guy was explaining that even though it is an exact genetic clone of your pet it may not look indentical or have the same personality. So this brings up the topic of nature or nurture. What really forms an animals dispostion the enviorment it is raised in or geneitcs. I just found it interesting and would love to hear others opinions on it.

~D

#2 ·
It has to do with mutation...that's why when you clone, it wont be identical to the original. As far as their disposition, I think it's both nature and nurture. I'm not sure there is any good reason to clone a whole animal...or a whole human. We already have too many animals in shelters as there is anyway. I believe in cloning to better health, like cloning healthy cells or even any body part. But not a whole actual being!

#3 ·
to clone dolly, the sheep---they had to do around 300 tries.
i have no idea how the others failed. but its a little creepy. and yeah, they will be identical on the outside---but personality wise---i agree w/ buttercloud--its nature and nurture.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.