Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Thank God you were there to help him out.

Something similar happen to me this past week. The Vet order Daezie and Maya to wear the head cones so they didnt scrat their wound on their heads. I left for work ond morning and my hubby calls me to tell me that he was going to take off the cones because somehow Maya got her paw stuck in side the cone (i gues she wanted to scratch her head) so when he saw her she was walking really funny and and making a moaning sound....poor baby!!!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
geez, that is scary. also make sure that your home is still puppy proof. i remember watching "amazing videos" and this dog got caught on the phone cord and started choking....he managed to dial 911 though and a cop saved him. i keep going back and forth about getting the dogs crates. im going to be trying to get them to stay home alone (and i dont mind them wondering the house) but you never know....SOMETHING could happen.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I am glad you guys were there to save your puppies! We had a similar experience with Tiki's harness when we first got him..... since then I never leave a colar or harness on him unless I am holding the other end of the leash.

Here are a few sites to check out on puppy proofing your living space:

Puppy Proofing

Puppy Proof Your Home - HGTV

Bhejei.com - - - bringing home your new puppy

The last one isn't so much about puppy proofing as it is about preparing for your new puppy, but I love the site and the pictures are cute

Judi

·
Registered
382 Posts
Ok, here's another warning..... be careful of bra's! Don't hang your bra from the a doorknob. I had a friend who found her dog tangled and hung from her bra. She got the dog before it was too late but she said he had played at pulling on it before nad never thought much about it. I can see how this could be a danger.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
lol, i did a re-check in my house too! and we had bras haning from doorknobs--so i bought a hook for the door and we put them there now. last night i almost had a heart attack because there's a BUNCH of crows in our neighborhood and i've seen rabbits and stuff all dead (im assuming hawks or crows)---so i let the dogs go to the bathroom in the backyard last night, and ellie was the only one out there and she was there for 3 minutes and went to the back of the house where it was dark. i walked back there but you couldnt see anything so i yelled for gruffi! lol. not as though he'd really "protect" ellie--hes scared of everything. im just hoping that since there's another thing thats big out there---that animals wouldnt go on our property.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
That was an excellent warning for all of us. Pico has done the same with his harness because it loosens as he wears it and he can mouth it, which makes him get stuck in it.

I don't leave his harness on at all now. Only when we are going to take him out.

I had puppy proofed the house when we got Pico but your post make me re-think how long it had been since I checked things out again. I took for granted that he "knew" what not to get into but am taking another look at everything today.

Thanks for a timely post!

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Jun 16 2004, 03:28 PM
Apparently, he somehow got his bottom jaw hooked through his collar and was struggling to free himself. I immediately took the collar off and put it away. Talk about panicking!
the same thing has happened with Maggie! she got the collar caught in her mouth and i couldnt get it out, I had to cut it off with a pair of scissors, since them Kim has bought her small cat collars to eliminate the problem, very scary lesson to learn

1 - 13 of 13 Posts