Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It seems like Milo's coat is the same lenght as it was when he was a 9 month old puppy!
He's now 15 months and its still not on the ground.
When he's out on grass it looks okay but on the table and inside it looks really short.

I tried wrapping - but that was a disaster.
I brush him every day.

Any suggestions?

ETA - I have been afraid to get it trimmed as its so short already but I am giving in and letting my friend trim it at the weekend.

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
something is causing the end to break off, it sounds like. I don't give an actual 'trim' I more skim the ends off and that is something you can do yourself I would be scared to have someone trim my show dog!

is he in the grass a lot? or on carpet? Those are the two biggest offenders for coat breakage. Does he play a lot with your other dogs?

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Orla -- I never let my show dogs (Lhasas) on grass or carpet. They were on tile or wood floors. The carpet is especially hard on coats due to the static electricity it creates.

As Stacy said, I didn't exactly trim the ends but I did "tip" them which I think is what Stacy is saying about skimming them.

Also, are you ironing his coat? If so how often? Do you get any extra length when you iron it?

Do you keep him in oil or in heavy conditioner between shows?

Let us know what your noraml routine is for his coat and we'll try to help.

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
something is causing the end to break off, it sounds like. I don't give an actual 'trim' I more skim the ends off and that is something you can do yourself I would be scared to have someone trim my show dog!

is he in the grass a lot? or on carpet? Those are the two biggest offenders for coat breakage. Does he play a lot with your other dogs?
My friend also shows and said that it would increase growth and stop broken hair traveling up the hair shaft.

He's never on carpet and only on grass at shows or when he goes out to the toilet.

Orla -- I never let my show dogs (Lhasas) on grass or carpet. They were on tile or wood floors. The carpet is especially hard on coats due to the static electricity it creates.

As Stacy said, I didn't exactly trim the ends but I did "tip" them which I think is what Stacy is saying about skimming them.

Also, are you ironing his coat? If so how often? Do you get any extra length when you iron it?

Do you keep him in oil or in heavy conditioner between shows?

Let us know what your noraml routine is for his coat and we'll try to help.
Tip - thats what my friend said - I wasn't sure what that meant so she said it was kind of a trim.

I iron his coat after baths - so once a week usually - sometimes twice a week - it adds a little extra length.

I put him in oil for a week or so but stopped :blush:
I just leave his coat and just brush each day.

I will probs get him cut down soon but I plan to show him until he is 18 months as he is only 2 points off one post title and 3 points off another post title (which have to be gotten under 18 months old)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do you spray his coat with water or conditioner each time you brush? When you finish brushing, do you have hair left in the brush (from breakage)? If the hair is fragile you may want to get a brush with wood bristles. Chris Christensen and Greyhound make them.

There are food supplements that are suppose to help hair grow. I have used Ilse of Dogs and Inflight.

·
Premium Member
17,465 Posts
I know that hair growth is also genetic! Kitzel has hair everywhere! The vet said she has never seen so much hair deep in the ears even. I don't wrap him or oil him---only use nice conditioners and silk treatment w/neem oil in it against mosquitos & fleas as preventive---& a little spray of tea tree oil w/citronella oil! I use coconut oil moisturizer & rinse it out. So, even though he isn't oiled, he is oiled!
I am thinking of cutting down his coat soon but haven't fully decided. It is beautiful but a lot of work to keep it nice since he is a guy!

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okay so - ummmm weird thing happened today - we were at a show and Milo had done his walking and been on the table - the judge graded him (excellent - top grade :D) and when we were back in the line up she chose Milo and 1st place and said because of his coat:huh:
I guess its not that bad!

Do you spray his coat with water or conditioner each time you brush? When you finish brushing, do you have hair left in the brush (from breakage)? If the hair is fragile you may want to get a brush with wood bristles. Chris Christensen and Greyhound make them.

There are food supplements that are suppose to help hair grow. I have used Ilse of Dogs and Inflight.
yep - I use grooming spray each time. Theres never much hair left in the brush.

He is on seameal at the moment.

Could the ironing be damaging to the hair?

I don't know Orla, but I hope it grows for you!
hmm - I don't iron that much but it could be!

I know that hair growth is also genetic! Kitzel has hair everywhere! The vet said she has never seen so much hair deep in the ears even. I don't wrap him or oil him---only use nice conditioners and silk treatment w/neem oil in it against mosquitos & fleas as preventive---& a little spray of tea tree oil w/citronella oil! I use coconut oil moisturizer & rinse it out. So, even though he isn't oiled, he is oiled!
I am thinking of cutting down his coat soon but haven't fully decided. It is beautiful but a lot of work to keep it nice since he is a guy!
Kitzel is gorgeous! :wub:

·
Premium Member
17,465 Posts
Yes, congratulations to Milo---and his owner! :aktion033::aktion033: Good work to beat someone unbeaten!!!!
Kitzi says "thank you very much indeed" for your generous compliment! :yes: He is struggling w/tear stain & having 2 sets of teeth in his mouth. His little mouth is very small for two sets of teeth!
Let us know how the "tip" turns out! Wishing you ALL the best!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts