Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night our neices stayed over night at our house and they're 3 and to say the least, it was a stressful day for Coconut. We tried to keep her in her crate most of the day, which she did, and didn't seem to mind at all. The girls weren't bad with her at all, they would just touch her gently, but Coco would get sooo worked up and she peed all over the kitchen so many times.
Anyway, that's besides the point, i guess. Early this morning right before the alarm went off to take Coco out, we noticed a little poo on her blanket. She really couln't hold it, we took it out to look to make sure it was the right color, and some of it seemed to have a teeny bit of red through it. She still has runny poo, but the breeder said that was normal because she's on milk replacer.
I called the vet's office today and the receptionist person was asking me about her, and i told her the problem, and i told her about the milk replacer and she couldn't believe she was still on it. She couldn't figure out why the breeder would tell me to keep her on it because she shoud've been weaned off of her mother's milk much sooner and should be drinking plain water now. She told me to discontinue the milk replacer, as the diahrea (sp?) can cause intestinal irritation, which is most likely where the blood is from. She said i could bring her in tomorrow with a stool sample so the Dr. can check her out. I hope she is ok!
I feel like a mess! I got the stool sample and put it in the fridge. I hope that was right!
Anyway, did anyone else have a problem like this at all? Btw, she is definitely getting enough to drink and she pees a lot. I really don't think it's dehydration. Although i guess it could be anything...

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by babycoconut@Nov 15 2004, 12:02 PM
Last night our neices stayed over night at our house and they're 3 and to say the least, it was a stressful day for Coconut. We tried to keep her in her crate most of the day, which she did, and didn't seem to mind at all. The girls weren't bad with her at all, they would just touch her gently, but Coco would get sooo worked up and she peed all over the kitchen so many times.
Anyway, that's besides the point, i guess. Early this morning right before the alarm went off to take Coco out, we noticed a little poo on her blanket. She really couln't hold it, we took it out to look to make sure it was the right color, and some of it seemed to have a teeny bit of red through it. She still has runny poo, but the breeder said that was normal because she's on milk replacer.
I called the vet's office today and the receptionist person was asking me about her, and i told her the problem, and i told her about the milk replacer and she couldn't believe she was still on it. She couldn't figure out why the breeder would tell me to keep her on it because she shoud've been weaned off of her mother's milk much sooner and should be drinking plain water now. She told me to discontinue the milk replacer, as the diahrea (sp?) can cause intestinal irritation, which is most likely where the blood is from. She said i could bring her in tomorrow with a stool sample so the Dr. can check her out. I hope she is ok! 
I feel like a mess! I got the stool sample and put it in the fridge. I hope that was right!
Anyway, did anyone else have a problem like this at all? Btw, she is definitely getting enough to drink and she pees a lot. I really don't think it's dehydration. Although i guess it could be anything...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=16428
[/QUOTE]

As I was reading your post I was thinking the same thing as the vet.... why in the world is she on milk replacer? How old is she? She probably has the upset tummy from that...... If possible, it may be better to get a "fresh" stool sample late tonight or tomorrow morning.... hold on the one you have just in case!! Also, the vet may want to get one himself.... even though I usually bring one, my vet often will go in there and get one himself.... ouch!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Have you had her to the vet since you got her from the breeder? If not you really need to take her anyway and let them give their stamp of approval on her health. My contract with my wonderful breeder required me to take Sadie to my vet within 72 hours. Of course the breeders tell you that they've been seeing vets, but I think it is always better to have your very own vet check them out! I've seen cases on other boards where someone had their vet check out their puppy and there was a significant health problem. I'm sure that your little Coconut is fine but this is a really good time to see your very own vet. Good luck and tell us what happens with the vet. I'll bet taking her off of the milk replacer will do the trick right away.

·
Registered
387 Posts
She's probably fine, I wouldn't worry. Definitely get her vet checked though. It could be a number of reasons. I had the same thing with Gizmo when I got him at 8 weeks (pet store
) and it turned out he had coccidia. He got treated for it and it cleared up nicely, but I was worried sick to the point of bawling for days!
Its hard when they are so little and helpless. If the vet thought it were serious though he would have her come in sooner.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, you guys! She's just over 10 weeks now. I really don't know why she said to leave her on the milk replacer until she's 12 or 13 weeks. That just doesn't make much sense to me. I originally thought it was for nutritional purposes, but it sounds like she really shouldn't be on it. Today she's had nothing but water with her food, and i haven't seen any blood of any kind in her stool yet today. She seems to be *feeling* fine. She's her normal playful ornry puppy self.

I just have so much trouble being really scared that i'm not doing something properly or taking care of her good enough! She's just so tiny and helpless. I feel like i have to check on her in her crate about every minute and make sure she's still breathing when she's asleep. I have to say, i was less nervous taking care of my sister's twins when they were months old!
I had to fight not to cry while on the phone with the vet's office today. I've just been crying about it all today, and i feel bad because the girls are here, and they keep asking me why i'm crying, and i tell them that i don't want Coconut to be sick. They keep saying "Why? Because she is your friend?".

I was really worried about a parasite, too. I don't know, i mean, could've i made her sick by taking her out to go to the bathroom before she's had all of her shots? Is that dangerous? It seems to be the only place she'll go.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I don't think she could have gotten sick when she went outside enless she at some deer/squirel poop. Or came in contact with a sick dogs poop (can't rememeber the illness). I've been taking Lexi outside since I got her at 11 weeks. More then likely the milk replacer was causing the problem.

I can relate to the crying about her and being scared. Back in August Lexi's incision from when she was spayed puffed up and I totally paniced. I came back to work and asked my boss if I could take off to take Lexi too the vet and before I knew it was crying in my boss's office. I was so scared even though I knew it was probably something simple. I had all these worse case senerios going through my head. I think it is just nautral to be concerned since they are so small and lovable.

What time is your appointment tomorrow? Lexi and I will be thinking about you and Coco.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by babycoconut@Nov 15 2004, 03:53 PM
I was really worried about a parasite, too. I don't know, i mean, could've i made her sick by taking her out to go to the bathroom before she's had all of her shots? Is that dangerous? It seems to be the only place she'll go.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=16476
[/QUOTE]

You're a good mommy... don't be so hard on yourself!!

The reason you don't want them out in public before all their shots is so they won't accidentally be exposed to parvo, distemper, kennel cough, or rabies, which is what the shots protect against. So, until all the shots are complete, don't let her on the ground where any other dog could have been beause some of the diseases are passed through a dogs feces. It is OK if she is in your own yard, if fenced to keep other dogs out.

I hope everything turns out A-OK... I'm glad she seems to be feeling well today... that's good!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Nov 15 2004, 04:20 PM
I don't think she could have gotten sick when she went outside enless she at some deer/squirel poop. Or came in contact with a sick dogs poop (can't rememeber the illness).  I've been taking Lexi outside since I got her at 11 weeks.  More then likely the milk replacer was causing the problem. 

I can relate to the crying about her and being scared.  Back in August Lexi's incision from when she was spayed puffed up and I totally paniced.  I came back to work and asked my boss if I could take off to take Lexi too the vet and before I knew it was crying in my boss's office.  I was so scared even though I knew it was probably something simple.  I had all these worse case senerios going through my head.  I think it is just nautral to be concerned since they are so small and lovable.

What time is your appointment tomorrow?  Lexi and I will be thinking about you and Coco.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=16479
[/QUOTE]

Thank you. Aww, i would be in misery if something like that happened to Coco. It's so sad to think that they are so dependant on you and something may go wrong.
Thank goodness we are cautious sometimes! Who knows what may go wrong!
Her appointment is at 1:30 tomorrow.
Coconut kisses to you and Lexi!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're a good mommy... don't be so hard on yourself!! 

The reason you don't want them out in public before all their shots is so they won't accidentally be exposed to parvo, distemper, kennel cough, or rabies, which is what the shots protect against. So, until all the shots are complete, don't let her on the ground where any other dog could have been beause some of the diseases are passed through a dogs feces. It is OK if she is in your own yard, if fenced to keep other dogs out.

I hope everything turns out A-OK... I'm glad she seems to be feeling well today... that's good! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=16480
[/B][/QUOTE]

Thank you! You guys are making me feel a bit better.

Yes, she's inside our fenced yard where no other dogs have been (to my knowledge) We bought the place in April... I'm just glad she does seem to be herself. In fact, we just got done playing and she's in her crate chewing on her fleece toy right now.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I'm not sure about this but doesnt pouring lyme over your yard prevent your dog from getting sick because of poop or something? I could have SWORN my neighbor said that but when I asked my bf he said he doesnt remember.

Don't worry too much. Your neices might think you're
. hehe. Just give coconut lots of love and she'll feel much better. GOOD LUCK.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hahaha! they already think i'm

They just see the truth! har har.
Well, they're gone now, so i don't have to worry about getting upset in front of them. But, yeah, i'm anxious to take her tomorrow, if nothing else than to see how much she weighs! She looks to my husband and i like she's grown a little...
Thanks for the luck! With the way things have been going in my family, i'm sure to need it! heh.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, we took her to the vet and we just got back.
Coconut has coccidia.
I'm so so upset! I don't know how she could've gotten it! I scrubbed every nook and cranny of my house before she came home.
Her poo has been runny since day one and the vet says she probably got it at the breeders... I'm just.... i just don't know what to do! I really don't want to take her outside anymore. I wonder if i should litter train her.
We got her medicine and we're to start her on it tonight. The vet wants to see her again Nov. 29th for the rest of her shots and i'm to bring another stool sample.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Coco's Mom:

Don't worry. Coco didn't pick up coccidia at your house. I'm sure she probably came with it. It's associated with poor hygiene from a pet shop, puppy mill or a breeder who doesn't keep her kennels clean.

If I were you, I'd contact my breeder. Number one, it's very contaguous so she needs to know Coco has it. Number two, I'd give her a piece of my mind. Getting a puppy with coccidia is like getting one with fleas, earmites or worms. There's no excuse for it if a puppy has been raised in sanitary conditions and received proper vet care. Shame on her. She should pay for your vet bills, in my opinion. You can go to any shelter and get a healthier puppy, free from parasites and bacterial infections.

Here's some information about it:

http://www.theanimalmedicalclinic.com/coccidia.htm

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Awwww, poor baby. She should be better in no time. 1000 XOXOXOXO's for COCO. Does Coco potty outside? I thought you get that from eating poo.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
You get it from walking on ground or floor contaminated with feces. You could get it from eating diseased feces. Poor Coco didn't get it at her new home, she came with it.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
You shouldn't feel bad one bit. You've done everything humanly possible to be a good mother. I agree with Marj that you probably should let the breeder know so that she can take the necessary steps to clean up her kennel area. And you did the right thing by taking her to the vet right away. What else did the vet say about her general health and weight? I'm sure she got a glowing report.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts