Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cody for the past two weeks is not eating his Royal canin low fat gastro wet food. I have to doc it with cherrios in order to eat. It’s not like he has a bad appetite from not feeling well because if he sees cat food he would inhale it... in a minute! With that said I would like to find a dog food to try but he has liver disease and cancer and I am so afraid of all these Recalls out there I am not to trust worthy of the manufacturer’s fillers. Also Royal canin stop making a whole list of food due to manufacturers shortages so I can’t image if they start up again what’s going in our dogs food. Cody I gave him scrambled eggs last night at midnight he ate it all up but he needs nutrients. And he is always hungry because he is on prednisone. Does any one have any suggestions or what brand of foods do you feed yours? I homecook but he always gets diarrhea from chicken he seems to be allergic to that and the same happens to turkey. I appreciate all your help for him. Poor Cody has a belly ache right now too.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
I feed Honest kitchen zeal which is Low fat. I always thought with liver issues it’s low protein that you need. My Lacie has MVD but her GI issues were more the issue, so I don’t know a lot regarding food for liver disease, only what test were needed to be done. I hope Walter see’s this post~he is the master on liver issues.

·
Super Moderator
10,274 Posts
Honest Kitchen is a great food and you can use the base mix, adding as much or little fat and protein as you want.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Honest Kitchen is a great food and you can use the base mix, adding as much or little fat and protein as you want.
I feed Honest kitchen zeal which is Low fat. I always thought with liver issues it’s low protein that you need. My Lacie has MVD but her GI issues were more the issue, so I don’t know a lot regarding food for liver disease, only what test were needed to be done. I hope Walter see’s this post~he is the master on liver issues.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thankyou sooo much!! For your help and advice! I will definitely look into honest kitchen food. I really appreciate it! Sorry if I did a duplicate reply I think. I am not so savvy on this website. So Thankyou to both of you! It means so much💖🐾

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am sitting here and it’s 1am and hoping this food issue is not from the Palladia cancer pill. I ordered honest kitchen as you suggested. Has anyone else had their baby on palladia and is this a side effect of the drug that eventually happens down the line? I am calling my vet tomorrow, she’ll probably lower his dose. Just wondering has anyone else had any experience with this. Thankyou to everyone Cody is my Love! He is such a gentleman and he gives me such unconditional love !

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
9,907 Posts
Typically for liver issues, you want to keep flesh protein low. Dairy and eggs are great because they do n ot create the digestive ammonia problem meats can for liver dogs. My Luck was on hepatic formula most of his life, and I added egg, cheese, and other dairy. Topping his wet food with a little yogurt or cheese or egg, it a great way to add safe protein. Be careful of too much fat, you do not want to add pancreatitis to the mix. Good luck.

Reactions: Coster

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
I am sitting here and it’s 1am and hoping this food issue is not from the Palladia cancer pill. I ordered honest kitchen as you suggested. Has anyone else had their baby on palladia and is this a side effect of the drug that eventually happens down the line? I am calling my vet tomorrow, she’ll probably lower his dose. Just wondering has anyone else had any experience with this. Thankyou to everyone Cody is my Love! He is such a gentleman and he gives me such unconditional love !
Ive never heard of that drug, im sorry. Are you on Facebook? There are some really great support groups Ive found regarding my girls health issues. So many knowledgable people from all over the world. Maybe you can creep on one of those pages to help ease your mind.
I hope Cody is feeling a bit better this morning 🙏🏻

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thankyou Walter!!! I will look into hepatic food as well, I did see that with Royal canin on chewy but at the time they were out of stock. Thankyou for the information that means so much!
I am not on Facebook , Great idea! Maybe I could search around on there and see what I am able to read. This morning he ate alittle bit more but that’s because he didn’t eat much last night. Cody goes up and down lately with food. It used to take me 15 minutes to hand feed him now it’s almost an hour when he wants to eat and refuses his food. And he eats at least 3 or 4 times a day so he’s very high maintenance but he’s on so much medication he has to eat. Love this little Cody so much! All I know every day I have with this munchkin it’s a blessing. I will let you know how his food is doing once I get everything and I will definitely buy some plain yogurt! Thanks again so much!!!!!🐾🐾

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
9,907 Posts
Make sure the yogurt does not contain xylitol, which is lethal to dogs, low fat is better. Good luck.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thankyou so much Walter! I never realized yogurt had the ingredient! I will definitely look and soooo appreciate all your help! I also just found Royal canin hepatic on petflow website chewy was still out of stock. I hope there turnaround time is quick. Thankyou again so so much appreciated and Cody thanks you Too!!🐾🐾

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Thankyou so much Walter! I never realized yogurt had the ingredient! I will definitely look and soooo appreciate all your help! I also just found Royal canin hepatic on petflow website chewy was still out of stock. I hope there turnaround time is quick. Thankyou again so so much appreciated and Cody thanks you Too!!🐾🐾
You might want to try your vet or local specialty hospital. They usually carry RX foods.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thankyou so much! I spoke with my vet today, she thinks it could be from the Palladia chemo pill Cody is taking for his cancer. it’s a side effect and putting him on cerenia pill. I Hope this works and keeps it at bay and keeps him eating. I ordered the honest kitchen food and the hepatic food too. Anything to try to entice him to eat. I appreciate all your advice and help it means a lot to both of us! 🐾🐾 i have to say your little babies are soooooo adorable and beautiful too!!! I love your pics!

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Thankyou so much! I spoke with my vet today, she thinks it could be from the Palladia chemo pill Cody is taking for his cancer. it’s a side effect and putting him on cerenia pill. I Hope this works and keeps it at bay and keeps him eating. I ordered the honest kitchen food and the hepatic food too. Anything to try to entice him to eat. I appreciate all your advice and help it means a lot to both of us! 🐾🐾 i have to say your little babies are soooooo adorable and beautiful too!!! I love your pics!
Cerenia works sooo good. I keep it on hand for Lacie’s pancreatitis to keep her from vomiting. I think you will notice a big difference with his eating once the nausea is gone. It’s actually very safe to use long term, so not to worry, he will feel so much better In no time.
l will be watching for your update 🙏🏻

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thankyou so much for easing my mind! It really helps to hear that from you!! Cody has never been on Cerenia before only zofran. I always get so nervous when he goes on a new medication. I haven’t received the food yet, I will definitely keep you posted! Thanks again that’s so great! Dee🐾🐾

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cody had his first pill of Cerenia yesterday and It worked like a Charm!! I was sooooo happy it definitely helped him! He was back to normal eating at all 4 feedings! Just on that one pill Without fussing! I will be giving him the Cerenia every time he gets his chemo pill palladia and hopefully this continues to work well for him on each dose. I am soooo happy it definitely works better then zofran what he was on previously! Wish I had this months ago!! Thankyou again for relieving my worries on Cerenia it really helps when you hear from someone else that’s been through it. I received honest kitchen food today and still waiting for the hepatic food in the mail. I cooked honest kitchen but I made sooo much for the first time not realizing. That’s good food and will be using that food when he will not eat! It’s nice has oats in it. It’s nice to have a back up that’s healthy and will Eat it! Cody is due for another Ultrasound Follow up and hopefully will be getting it within two weeks. Thankyou Thankyou Maddysmom!!!!! And Walter too!!

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Cody had his first pill of Cerenia yesterday and It worked like a Charm!! I was sooooo happy it definitely helped him! He was back to normal eating at all 4 feedings! Just on that one pill Without fussing! I will be giving him the Cerenia every time he gets his chemo pill palladia and hopefully this continues to work well for him on each dose. I am soooo happy it definitely works better then zofran what he was on previously! Wish I had this months ago!! Thankyou again for relieving my worries on Cerenia it really helps when you hear from someone else that’s been through it. I received honest kitchen food today and still waiting for the hepatic food in the mail. I cooked honest kitchen but I made sooo much for the first time not realizing. That’s good food and will be using that food when he will not eat! It’s nice has oats in it. It’s nice to have a back up that’s healthy and will Eat it! Cody is due for another Ultrasound Follow up and hopefully will be getting it within two weeks. Thankyou Thankyou Maddysmom!!!!! And Walter too!!
I’m so glad it worked for Cody. I’m sure he will continue to do well on it.
I’ve never heard of Zofran in all these years having a dog with pancreatitis, just the Cerenia. It does work really well. I think initially it was used for car sickness and could only be used for a few days. Now you can use daily if needed.
I’m sure you already know this but my OCD needs to remind you to introduce any new food very gradual, so it doesn’t cause a GI flare or more nausea.
Hoping for a great ultrasound in a few weeks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts