Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past 4-5 days I been noticing Daezie's doing a 'honking noise' or 'reverse sneeze' more often now. in the morning about 2-3times and when I get home from work another 2-3 times. It was never like that before. She was maybe done it once in a rare while.

There was a threath on this subject which I read a few months agofunny breathing it seems that our pups do it once in a while or after drinking water but in Daezie's case she does it out of the blue weather she drinks water or not.

I'm getting concern becuase it was never this often

Also, I need to take her to get a dental cleaning soon and with this trache issue, should I wait to do the cleaning?

Should I have the vet do an x-ray on her? What else should I have the vet do.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Jack just did it the other day ALOT also. He has done it occasionally here and there but this was sooooo different. It also was the same day where my skin kids allergies kicked up into high gear! I wonder if it is just allergies?

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
it could be a respiratory infection or allergies like someone else said that is triggering the spasm. have her checked out by your vet, and let them see if it is safe to give her a dental now, or to wait

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
well it depends on how serious it is...sometimes it can be helped with medication, but if it is really severe then surgery is needed.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I would have her checked by the vet to ensure there is not some other condition causing the increase in coughing. Allergies can definately be a culprit. Often times an antihistamine like chlorpheniramine or benadryl can help quite a bit if there is an allergy component to it.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I called the vet and we have an appt today at 5:15pm. They also said the since she having tha problen coughing that they rather wait for the dental until a later time.

Thank you all for you comments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Amy has this regularly, and in fact just the day before her dental work last week causing it to be delayed by 2 days.The vets seen uncertain about what is causing it.

Last year she had it quite badly, and the common factor each time was that it started after she had been out in the garden and there hadn't been any rain for a while, so it was very dry. She had her airways x rayed and nothing was found, just inflammation in her throat. The vet thought it was caused by an allergy--pollen, dust etc in the summer months. She was put on anti inflammatries and it went.

This time they think it may have been caused by infection from her teeth as her throat was again inflammed--but she had again just come in from the garden. Again it went after medication.

Susan

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Originally posted by ilove_d&m@May 5 2005, 01:06 PM
I called the vet and we have an appt today at 5:15pm. They also said the since she having tha  problen coughing that they rather wait for the dental until a later time.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60140
[/QUOTE]
Awww, glad to hear you got her an appointment. Hope all goes well!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Originally posted by ilove_d&m@May 5 2005, 11:06 AM
I called the vet and we have an appt today at 5:15pm. They also said the since she having tha  problen coughing that they rather wait for the dental until a later time.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60140
[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear that!! Please keep us up to date with the Vet's remarks. Never know when one of us might see the same thing in one of our babies!!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Daezie had an appt yesterday. The vet check her throat and did not find anything.

I was hopping for Daezie to do the sneeze thing when the vet was present but she didn’t but while we were waiting in the waiting room one of the assistants (who are really nice and really like Daezie and Maya) was sitting with us playing with the girls when Daezie did it so she explain the vet what it was and they concluded that is was reverse sneezing due to allergies.
I confirm with the doctor that it wasn’t the collapse trachea and he showed me what would sound like if it was that, which he said it would sound like exhaling type of cough.
He gave her Clemastine1 1.34mg tablet ½ of tablet day and night. He opted to wait to do her dental cleaning; we both want to make sure there is nothing going on with her health.

The vet also mention that lately they have been seen a lot of dogs with allergies due to the season, which make sense because my allergies are killing me too and my medicine is not working.

I hope that help her allergies

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
My bichon does this occassionally. During allergy season she does it once or week or so. During the winter she rarely has a problem. My vet also says that it is allergy and says if it doesn't get worse then not to worry too much.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Allergies are "EVIL." LOL

·
Registered
132 Posts
My jakie had the cough thing too. When we took him to the vet they said that he would swallow his tongue. They (vet) told us to cover his nose and then Jake would open his month and breath normally. We would also talk to him in a real calm voice and rub his belly. He would stop coughin after a little while.

You can always try this to see if this works.

Did the vet do an xray? Xray will show a collapsed tracea.
The cought could be cased by so mant things just keeping a look out on when your pup coughs.
good luck!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts