Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we go out a LOT I can not keep Lilly in her bag, she just jumps out. I have tried and tried and I am just NOT doing a good job of traininer her. She also goes camping with us so there are times that I just have to have her on a leash as much as I hate to have to use one.

My question is... Which is better or worse for matting her fur? She is in a long coat and we have been using a harness (a nylon one) and her fur gets sooo matted!! I tried one collar but the fur matted around the buckel.

Is it just a losing battle? Is there one kind that is better than another? Any ideas would be great.

thanks

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I use a show lead with a thick neck piece.

Anything if left on for a long period is going to matt a longer coat. The best collar would be a rolled leather collar. However, if your little dog pulls on its leash, using a collar can hurt their trachea, so you may be better off switching to a harness or show lead for walking on leash.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
First let me include a little disclaimer. Chloe has never been in full coat, although I did have her a little longer at one time - she's always been in a puppy-cut.

I do know a couple of people who use the fabric custom type harnesses and claim that there is less matting with these. I don't know how true it is - perhaps others here can offer an opinion.

I want to commiserate about the carrier thing though. Chloe hates them and will try to do a head-dive out of any carrier I've had. No amount of treats, love, or encouragement help. I finally gave up and tried the puppy-purse, but that was just too much on my back - she's 7lbs.

I finally broke down and bought a kittywalk pet stroller. I love it, Chloe loves it, my husband thinks it's a great solution - everyone is happy. Sure some people might think I'm a loon - but who cares! I will say that I use this for shopping mainly. Chloe loves to be on her leash so we use that whenever possible.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by CandicePK@May 13 2005, 08:07 PM
I finally broke down and bought a kittywalk pet stroller.  I love it, Chloe loves it, my husband thinks it's a great solution - everyone is happy.  Sure some people might think I'm a loon - but who cares!  I will say that I use this for shopping mainly.  Chloe loves to be on her leash so we use that whenever possible.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=62233
[/QUOTE]

I'm in the market for a stroller also... I wish I could see them in person, though, to check out the size and configuration, etc.... I'm having a hard time figuring out which one and which size.....

If you're a "loon" then so am I!!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Shasbury,

I must say that using a collar is neve an option for Teddy because I am terrified of the trechea and the damage that could be caused in a nanosecond with a normal pull.

Teddy does not usually matt and I beleive that is because I take the harness on and off as needed. We go for walks every single day for at least an hour so it is on then but if I am home then it gets taken off, which really does help with the matts.

Even using a harness I must be careful of Teddy's neck because he will gag if I am not extremely careful...

Good luck

S

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
We only use a harness on Beastie for fear of trachea damage, but when we go for longer walks or for extended periods of time, we bought a "front" pack that he goes in. His harness clips to it, but it's such a short distance from the clip holder within the sack that he doesn't really get matted. It's a really cool item made by "Outward Hound". Beastie is safely secured in it, the sack part has a lot of mesh for temperature comfort, and he can sit up with his paws and head out the top and see what's going on or to have all fours on the bottom. It's got a securing thingy at the top of the sack to keep it more closed if desired. Also, a small zippered compartment on the front bottom and a mesh holder on the sides. It comes with free embroidery at the top of the pack for their name. The padded pack straps adjust in three ways for size of parent and comfort. If this is clear as mud and you'd like to see one, I'll find the catalog and give you the info. The cost was around $80. We use it constantly.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
*sigh* we also had one of the front carriers by Outward Hound (a wonderful product) and Chloe still did her head-dive. I swear she thinks she's a flying squirrel at times.

She's perfectly happy in anything wheeled though. In addition to the stroller (thanks for support K&C's mom :D ) I also have one of the wheeled carriers for airline travel (that can also be used as a backpack) and she loves that one too. Little brat that she is!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Personally, I think strollers are adorable and practical. We've been checking them out too. What else is there to do when you have a little boy who will not wear bows or clothing??
Besides, that front pack can get a little warm (for parents) on really hot days!
I guess I am a loon, too (and proud of it). :D

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+May 13 2005, 07:47 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-CandicePK
@May 13 2005, 08:07 PM
I finally broke down and bought a kittywalk pet stroller.  I love it, Chloe loves it, my husband thinks it's a great solution - everyone is happy.  Sure some people might think I'm a loon - but who cares!  I will say that I use this for shopping mainly.  Chloe loves to be on her leash so we use that whenever possible.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=62233
I'm in the market for a stroller also... I wish I could see them in person, though, to check out the size and configuration, etc.... I'm having a hard time figuring out which one and which size.....

If you're a "loon" then so am I!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=62244
[/B][/QUOTE]
Same here. I really like the looks of this one.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I'm so happy to hear all the others considering pet strollers. I don't want to be the only loon out there

Here's a link to the one I have Pet Stroller

The advantage to the one Kristi posted is that it folds (the entire thing) down easier. Mine has the folding 'wagon' part and then the actual carrier also folds like an accordian. I admit that folding the carrier is a little awkward, but it's not much of an issue for me because I use the carrier in the car for Chloe. I keep the wagon part folded up in my trunk. When we get to our destination I open the wagon, take Chloe out in the carrier and attach it to the wagon. She also really likes the covered back portion which surprised me.

It's a great product and I'm really happy with it and the concept is wonderful.

Another thought about the differences is the Happy Trails stroller would be more convenient for air travel. My husband and I already decided we will box the kittywalk stroller and either ship it ahead or send it with our checked baggage.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I had a cat collar with a bell on it when I first got Kodie and he got scabs around his neck from it.. eww....
I now use a harness only when going out for a walk. I usually put some type of shirt on Kodie first... like a tank top or T-shirt... then the harness. I know that clothes cause matts too but when Kodie's hair is kinda long it gets all crazy from the harness moving around... which causes nasty MATTS! Another reason I use a harness over clothes is because Kodie is so boney (he has a few ribs that stick out called floating ribs)... the shirt is almost like cushioning so when he pulls it doesnt rub or hurt him.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Those getting strollers... dont create LAZY babies with them!
hahaha... they need exercise too and might get tooooooo comfuffy in those wonderful strollers!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Kodie's Mom!

Actually Chloe gets a LOT of excercise. She runs all through all our house and back yard playing fetch and doing laps at least a couple of times a day. My housekeeper takes her out mid-morning and I take her out every afternoon around 3:30-4:00.

She also loves walking on her leash and I will let her do that whenever it's possible. She has a lot of anxiety though in places when we go shopping. She doesn't have any problems though if she's in her own space (i.e. the stroller) so it works out wonderfully for us. I also will use the regular buggy in stores that have them. I try to give her something to keep her occupied but if there's a lot of people (like Home Depot on Saturday afternoon) then in her stroller she goes.

I do think it's an important point though. I wouldn't want to use the stroller when we're going for a walk. Their excercise is so important. For me the stroller literally replaces a carrier because Chloe wants nothing to do with those.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Its so funny that you guys are talking about strollers. I just got one for haley because the other 2 LOVE to go on walks and Haley is my little yorkie with a luxating patella. She likes to walk so what I am going to do now is let her walk for like 1/2 of the walk and then if her leg starts to bother her or if I think we are going to far I will let her lay in the stroller and still enjoy being outside with the other 2. We just started carrying them as well, they are really cute!

Here is the link: http://www.imapreciouspup.com/gallery13.htm

I dont think it makes them lazy, I think it looks really cute and Haley still gets excercise running around the house and the backyard. Also I think it will be good if we want to go to the park or have a picnic or something and want to bring them with us, it is big enough for both Haley and Maya together (Rocky could go in too if they really wanted to squish
) Forum members get 10% off btw

1 - 15 of 15 Posts