Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at a loss as to what to get for the new puppy. Some say harness other say collar.

I was at a AKC dog show two weeks ago and talked to a few Malt handlers and breeders and they told me a leather rolled collar is what to get. Does not cause mats in the hair. Both people I spoke with said harness will cause matts as well. I asked about neck injury and was told there should be no neck injury if you were not yanking on the pup.

Others have said told me use a harness.

We want to get the right thing for taking pup out to pee and also to take walks. We want to work on training and be a responsible dog owner.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
i think, at least while your puppy is learning to walk on a lead, etc you should use a harness, since your puppy will be unpredictable and may yank on the leash as its learning.

once your dog masters walking on a leash with you, you can try the collar, but beware that even the most trained dog might pull sometime, or you might have to pull it.

my vote? a harness.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Sylphide would be dead by now if I had her in a collar. She pulls like a husky sledding on the leash. A harness controls her whole body and keeps her in check. If you're doing some serious walking, I'd say it has to be a harness.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Gosh, I can't imagine a collar with leash attached.... I would be afraid of injury to the neck. I only use a harness.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
For daily walks, I would go with a harness for sure. In the ring, they are used to using leads. I actually use both depending on where I am going.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Lacey uses the harness. She walks really well. I tried a collar, a cute little girly-girly collar, a few weeks ago and she was wonderful with it. I still use a harness when I walk her. I like the harness because I can pick her up if needed really fast and just carry her. Can't do that with a collar.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
My vote is the harness!
I think the collars are sooo much cuter but I can't imagine putting one on such tiny necks!

Abbey has her harness on all day long as we are potty training and we don't want to mess around getting it on and off and she has never matted from her harness! We take her harness off at bedtime and put it right back on in the morning. She still hasn't grown out of her ferrett harness and into her xsmall step in harness, which I know will be quicker to get on her so maybe then we will take it off of her during the day! I'm hoping to buy her one of those amazing rhinestone harnesses once she stops growing!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Originally posted by Abbey@Jun 26 2005, 07:53 PM
My vote is the harness!
  I think the collars are sooo much cuter but I can't imagine putting one on such tiny necks!

Abbey has her harness on all day long as we are potty training and we don't want to mess around getting it on and off and she has never matted from her harness!  We take her harness off at bedtime and put it right back on in the morning.  She still hasn't grown out of her ferrett harness and into her xsmall step in harness, which I know will be quicker to get on her so maybe then we will take it off of her during the day!  I'm hoping to buy her one of those amazing rhinestone harnesses once she stops growing!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=75396
[/QUOTE]

glad to see a post from you~! you haven't been around lately, how have you been?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much!!!! Harness it is then. Just was afraid of matting with a harness.

Abbey looks SOOOOOO cute in the picture!!!!! Love the way that little head is cocked.

Welcome back Bonnie we missed you around here.

ConnieVa

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I also use a harness-I'm to afraid of the collars.....Ruby has a bling bling one that says Ruby Jean with a crown on it--its adorable on her! An sure does sparkle outside!!

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I use a harness on Scooby as I too was afraid of neck injury. We have no problems with matting mainly because we keep him in a short coat, that way we never have matting and he is much easier to keep maintained.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
we have one of the rolled leather collars, and it is amazing when it comes to matting...or the lack thereof. but i do keep buttercup in a harness, simply because it attaches to her carseat better. she isn't a "puller" when it comes to walks. i always joke that i can carry her leash (retractable or otherwise) on my pinky and hardly even use any strength to hold it, lol. when she wears coats or things in the winter, she usually has her collar on. i wish more clothing for the pups had the collar hole a little lower down the back to accomodate harnesses. but i guess i can always drag out the old sewing machine and add a buttonhole myself, huh?
lazy lazy me.

sidenote...abbey's mom...she's PRECIOUS! i havent been on much lately, but i saw her pic tonite and made The Boy come over and see it, lol. i said "see! this is why we need a second one!" he'll come around eventually LOL!

ann marie and the "collar, harness, i dont care! it just means i'm GOING SOMEWHERE with my mommy!" buttercup

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I use a harness on the boys. The matting isn't really a problem unless I leave the harness on all day and night and the boys roll around a lot. They do have collars, but only for their tags. I just feel more comfortable with the harness even though the boys don't usually pull on the leash.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I use a harness with Bella, its easier for me to put her harness on, because it doesn't have a buckle. We also use a harness dress sometimes, she prefers it I think because its the quickest to get on and she loves to go. I haven't had any matting problems yet.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I picked up a Ferrett harness today. I think that will do the trick on our trip back from the breeders for potty brakes.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Originally posted by puppylucy+Jun 26 2005, 08:54 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Abbey
@Jun 26 2005, 07:53 PM
My vote is the harness!

Abbey has her harness on all day long as we are potty training and we don't want to mess around getting it on and off and she has never matted from her harness!  We take her harness off at bedtime and put it right back on in the morning.  She still hasn't grown out of her ferrett harness and into her xsmall step in harness, which I know will be quicker to get on her so maybe then we will take it off of her during the day!  I'm hoping to buy her one of those amazing rhinestone harnesses once she stops growing!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=75396
glad to see a post from you~! you haven't been around lately, how have you been?

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=75398
[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks for missing me! We went on vacation in Tennessee at the Lake! What great fun! We enjoyed it better than the beach! We missed Abbey so much though. My 4 year old cried herself to sleep the first night missing her so much! So, we're all glad to be back ~ including Abbey!

·
Registered
277 Posts
<span style="font-family:Times">Peaches uses harnesses. I'm afraid to use collars because their necks seem so delicate
.......</span>

1 - 19 of 19 Posts