Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
but....how the heck do you get them to keep the collar on. Everytime I attempt to put a collar on Chuliee...she goes nuts rubbing herself on the rug trying to get it off...it just makes her NUTS!! I recently bought a really soft one with a little bell on it so I can HEAR her. Shhhh....it's a cat collar.
I just put it on and as always she went NUTS trying to get it off....she even managed to get the bell in her mouth. So I just took it off. I would really like to find a collar with a bell. The cat collar did fit a little big...but regardless even if the collar fits she gets crazy when it's on.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
We had to start off really slowly just introducing the boys to collars and harnesses. In the beginning we could only leave it on for a minute or two. Don't worry, your baby will get used to it eventually. I would just put it on and try to distract her with a toy or try to practice some commands to take her attention off of the collar

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by littlepeanut@Nov 21 2005, 08:23 PM
We had to start off really slowly just introducing the boys to collars and harnesses.  In the beginning we could only leave it on for a minute or two.  Don't worry, your baby will get used to it eventually.  I would just put it on and try to distract her with a toy or try to practice some commands to take her attention off of the collar 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=122003
[/QUOTE]

She is fine with a Harness. It goes on when she goes for walks and it comes right off when we get inside.

Did you use one of those nylon collars.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by bklynlatina+Nov 21 2005, 07:29 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-littlepeanut
@Nov 21 2005, 08:23 PM
We had to start off really slowly just introducing the boys to collars and harnesses.  In the beginning we could only leave it on for a minute or two.  Don't worry, your baby will get used to it eventually.  I would just put it on and try to distract her with a toy or try to practice some commands to take her attention off of the collar 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=122003

She is fine with a Harness. It goes on when she goes for walks and it comes right off when we get inside.

Did you use one of those nylon collars.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=122004
[/B][/QUOTE]
Yes we started on the lightweight nylon kitty collars with the bell like you have. Hmm, maybe since she's so good with the harness you could put the collar on when you put the harness on to go outside? Also, I saw at petsmart they have the lil' pals collars now and they are tiny, made especially for little dogs and they usually have bells to attach to collars in the cat section.

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Please be careful with the kitty collars with the bells. I read on another forum of a little Malt that choked to death on the bell from a kitty collar. Also collars will keep the hair tangled and knotted underneath if left on continuously. I always used a harness with Sassy although now that she is in full coat I normally use a show lead which is just a tiny nylon strap that nooses around her neck. When I did use the halter I had all of her ID tags and vaccine tags attached to the harness. Nowadays since she is always in my arms I dont even worry about all the tags. :new_Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Sassy's mommy@Nov 22 2005, 12:44 AM
Please be careful with the kitty collars with the bells. I read on another forum of a little Malt that choked to death on the bell from a kitty collar. Also collars will keep the hair tangled and knotted underneath if left on continuously. I always used a harness with Sassy although now that she is in full coat I normally use a show lead which is just a tiny nylon strap that nooses around her neck. When I did use the halter I had all of her ID tags and vaccine tags attached to the harness. Nowadays since she is always in my arms I dont even worry about all the tags.  :new_Eyecrazy:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=122103
[/QUOTE]

Oh yes...I know. I put it on her for the first time yesterday and I sat on the couch and watched her with it. She went nuts that it was on her and I sat there watching her carefully once I saw she got the bell in her mouth...I walked over to her and TOOK IT RIGHT OFF. It's now in the bag and I will be taking back to the Pet Store for a refund. :D

I just wanted to have a collar on her with a bell on it WE WERE AT HOME..so that I can HEAR her around the house. But that didn't work out so well. So much for tha idea.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Originally posted by bklynlatina@Nov 22 2005, 09:21 AM
I just wanted to have a collar on her with a bell on it WE WERE AT HOME..so that I can HEAR her around the house.  But that didn't work out so well.  So much for tha idea. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=122174
[/QUOTE]

Doesnt she have a tag parade on her neck to jingle? Rex has his id tag, then his rabie tag and then his city license tag. They rattle nonstop! I do like to hear him so I know where he is, especially when he gets out of bed in the middle of the night.

As far as keeping collars on, Rex like to chew all of his off immediately. We found a plain boring lightweight cat collar at target for a dollar and I got it because I knew he would chew it off and I figured he may as well chew something cheap...well it turns out he only chews on expensive collars. He doesnt have the taste for something cheap!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts